What's new

Pakistan, India, China, and USA: The Most Geographically Diverse Countries?

Meengla

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I don't have any pictures to share in this thread. Sorry.
But this is a question to the forum members here: Considering that only Pakistan, India, China, and USA have subtropical beach climates to the Arctic high mountains (20,000+ feet) to true deserts to major river valleys: Is there any other country in the world with such a diversity? I can only think of perhaps Argentina, Chile, or Peru with this kind of geographical range but am not sure.

India does have one thing which none of these countries have: True jungles with man-eating big cats and wild elephants.

Chile is known for its geographical extremes. One place that surprised me with its geographical diversity was maui island in hawaii. The island has a desert area, an evergreen rain forest, tropical jungles and a snow capped mountain in it. This apart from the beautiful beaches, waterfalls, dormant volcanoes and marine life like turtles , dolphins and whales.

Another fact to add about India is, India has the largest variety of big cats of any country. You find tigers, asiatic lion, leapord , clouded leapord, snow leapord. Asiatic cheetahs which were also present , were hunted to extinction in the last century.

Regarding china, I highly recommend the "wild china" documentary series by NGC. The visuals are breathtaking.

I don't have any pictures to share in this thread. Sorry.
But this is a question to the forum members here: Considering that only Pakistan, India, China, and USA have subtropical beach climates to the Arctic high mountains (20,000+ feet) to true deserts to major river valleys: Is there any other country in the world with such a diversity? I can only think of perhaps Argentina, Chile, or Peru with this kind of geographical range but am not sure.

India does have one thing which none of these countries have: True jungles with man-eating big cats and wild elephants.

Australia.

Beaches and deserts are self explanatory.

Mountains.

Snowy_Mountains.jpg

Rainforests/jungles

explore-itineraries-rainforest-way.jpg

Great input guys. Thanks!
However, my criteria was extremes of climates: From the subtropics to the Arctic was a must. I find no other place other than these four countries except Chile--where the Easter Islands have subtropical climate while Chilean Andes touch 22,000 feet. And, like the four countries, Chile has all kinds of major geographical variations.

Of course this is quite an arbitrary cut off point to ask for 20,000 ft high mountains AND the tropical climate.

Another fact to add about India is, India has the largest variety of big cats of any country. You find tigers, asiatic lion, leapord , clouded leapord, snow leapord. Asiatic cheetahs which were also present , were hunted to extinction in the last century.

Regarding china, I highly recommend the "wild china" documentary series by NGC. The visuals are breathtaking.

Reportedly, the Asiatic Cheetah still roams in Pakistan. There were some dead carcasses found in Balochistan recently. A small group lives on the Pakistan-Iran border.

Of course this is quite an arbitrary cut off point to ask for 20,000 ft high mountains AND the tropical climate.

Well, if you don't cut it off at 20,000 ft then all you'll have are Pakistan, Nepal, India, China and Bhutan to choose from. Mt. McKinley barely passes that mark and Aconcagua, at 22,837.3 ft, is the highest mountain outside of these countries.

One of the things that I immensely love about Pakistan is that it takes you from one of the lowest laying areas and throws you on top of the highest points in the world. And the journey in between shows you everything that you can imagine.

Italy is one country with immense geographical diversity stretching from the Alpine mountains in the north to the Tropical Mediterranean Sea in the south. So is Greece.

Compared to Himalayan or Karakoram ranges,yes. But the diversity is distinct in such a tiny country.

But I still love making fun of them ;) And don't forget the Hindukush.

This kind of cut-off point is arbitrary but not entirely unjustified either. Neither of Bhutan, Nepal and Italy have **tripical beaches** AND Arctic climates at the same time. And I don't think around 40 degree latitude Italy has tropical or even sub-tropical climate.

Only Pakistan, China, India, USA, and Chile qualify. Yes, Mt. McKinley may be *only* around 20,000 but being so far in northern latitude is truly a harsh place.

Maybe we can have a thread about some second-tier most geographically diverse places. :)

PS. Let's find the largest country with the least geographical extremes.. Sudan? Egypt? Just guessing ATM..

Don't forget New Zealand.

Yes, a very diverse and beautiful country! But the northern most point is about 29 degrees latitude sliver of land, hardly subtropical while the highest point around only 13,000 feet in the 40 degree latitudes--hardly Arctic.

All i can say is there is just one country who is truly diverse and versatile + where u will find the nature in her true habitat.

That Country certainly is Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom