What's new

Why India and China has so large population compared to other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge population is not something to be proud .Its quality which matter not quantity.Why all rich and prosperous countries are not over populated? I guess rural poor guy in our countries think that if they will have more kids then they will produce more income for family. We see those parent who can affords kids get one or two kids but those who cannot give birth to 6/7 children . There are many out there who still not aware of something called condoms or family planning. This region was also cradles of the early human civilizations. Btw what is the gender/sex balance of Indian and Chinese population?

Huge population is not something to be proud .Its quality which matter not quantity.Why all rich and prosperous countries are not over populated? I guess rural poor guy in our countries think that if they will have more kids then they will produce more income for family. We see those parent who can affords kids get one or two kids but those who cannot give birth to 6/7 children . There are many out there who still not aware of something called condoms or family planning. This region was also cradles of the early human civilizations. Btw what is the gender/sex balance of Indian and Chinese population?
No one in India now thinks that having a huge population is an achievement. That thought was prevalent 1-2 decades ago.
And by 2040 ie almost 25 years from now, India will achieve population stabilization.

Large population means large struggle.

China and India have the 2nd and 3rd largest amount of "Arable land" in the world.

America has the most, but their current population is a result of colonization, so most of that Arable land is unused and unnecessary.

Still plenty of Chinese, Bangladeshi and Indian people don't get food to eat. Millions. Why ?

No one in India now thinks that having a huge population is an achievement. That thought was prevalent 1-2 decades ago.
And by 2040 ie almost 25 years from now, India will achieve population stabilization.

Large population means large struggle.
This thought process is still prevalent in rural areas whom many family planning ad/schemes are trying to eradicate . I am sure about India but cannot speak for china..I don't agree that India will achieve population stabilization in 2040

This thought process is still prevalent in rural areas whom many family planning ad/schemes are trying to eradicate . I am sure about India but cannot speak for china..I don't agree that India will achieve population stabilization in 2040

More like 2060 actually according to UN. They expect our population to top out at 1.7 billion 2060 and then start dropping.

Are you sure about that?

Japan and Netherlands are even more densely populated than India is.

More like 2060 actually according to UN. They expect our population to top out at 1.7 billion 2060 and then start dropping.
It will be good for India if this decrease in population happen in future but i guess its too early to reckon what will be the situation in 2060. hum tu pata nhi hoon ghey be 2060 mein yea nhi :D

Are you sure about that?

Japan and Netherlands are even more densely populated than India is.
Not all japan is densely populated and they are on decline as well

and their economy can support them which may not be the case with developing or third world countries
why you don't look at europe and USA/Canda/Australia/new zeland etc

Last edited:
TFR has already dropped to around 2.5/6
Not very long before we reach replacement level of 2.1

It will be good for India if this decrease in population happen in future but i guess its too early to reckon what will be the situation in 2060. hum tu pata nhi hoon ghey be 2060 mein yea nhi :D

Not all japan is densely populated

and their economy can support them which may not be the case with developing or third world countries
why you don't look at europe and USA/Canda/Australia/new zeland etc

Japan: 335 persons/square km
India : 368 persons/square km

Netherlands: Over 400 persons/square km
Germany: 225 persons/square km

Ok - about the same for Japan and India. You need to take into account that a far higher percentage of Indian land is fertile compared to Japan that is mainly mountainous.

Netherlands is higher and Germany a lower but not significantly so.

But look at Bangladesh: Over 1000 persons/square km.

Bangladesh is virtually self-sufficient in food production and has higher life expectancy and lower malnutrition than India.

So you can see that India is not really overpopulated.

Still plenty of Chinese, Bangladeshi and Indian people don't get food to eat. Millions. Why ?

Due to the people who "own" all that land.

Is the Indian population spread out evenly in the country or is massed in bunches in certain regions?

Indian cities are overpopulated. The country as a whole is ok for now. But still the population growth rate should be a little lower than what it is now.

Due to the people who "own" all that land.

That's not as big a problem in India as it is in Pakistan because of the land reform measures that India took after independence. The problem with India is mainly poor management which also includes poor storage of food grains. Huge quantity of food grains go to waste every year, it is criminal negligence when millions of people go hungry every day.

I don't think fertile land has any relationship to larger population. Come on people, most of these countries were never educated like the today's Europe with 90%+ educated population.

India:

In my opinion there are various reasons for large population in India such as

1) literacy - People had least knowledge about condoms and other protectives. Moroever, the ruthless behaviour of South Asian communities. They wouldn't even allow women to take pills that may temporarily halt the production of babies after having a baby.

2) Poverty - People didn't have a job so they have plenty of spare time. So for time pass, you know what I mean

3) Religion - Many religions such as many "some" Muslim families would propagate/advocate that having large families is a matter of reward and it is God's wish to bestow you with his mercy and you cannot stop making babies.

4) Being one of the oldest countries in the world. Remember Indian Valley Civilisation? When there was no Europe.

5) Massive migration in India - From Alexandra to Arabs to Afghans to British and Portuguese. Everyone wanted to win India and brought large armies with them, some of them decided to stay.

China:

1) First thing you have to keep in mind is China is a large country. It is approximately three times as big as India. If you notice the old Indian subcontinent where Pakistan and Bangladesh being part of India. It might already be larger than China despite being half the size of China. If you notice China's population density is 80th in the world as compared to India's 33rd, Bangladesh's 12th, Maldives 11th and Pakistan's 59th. China's population is ok when you see it's large size.

List of countries by population density - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now the point is, China's population was ever growing. It had Qing, Yuan, Mind, Tang and Han dynasties when the world didn't know even know Europe exists in the map.

USA was only discovered few centuries ago whereas China has a known history of thousands of years, hence justifying the reason of their large population.

Last edited:
Japan: 335 persons/square km
India : 368 persons/square km

Netherlands: Over 400 persons/square km
Germany: 225 persons/square km

Ok - about the same for Japan and India. You need to take into account that a far higher percentage of Indian land is fertile compared to Japan that is mainly mountainous.

Netherlands is higher and Germany a lower but not significantly so.

But look at Bangladesh: Over 1000 persons/square km.

Bangladesh is virtually self-sufficient in food production and has higher life expectancy and lower malnutrition than India.

So you can see that India is not really overpopulated.
Overpopulation does not depend only on the size or density of the population, but on the ratio of population to available sustainable resources. It also depends on how resources are managed and distributed throughout the population.

The resources to be considered when evaluating whether an ecological niche is overpopulated include clean water, clean air, food, shelter, warmth, and other resources necessary to sustain life. If the quality of human life is addressed, there may be additional resources considered, such as medical care, education, proper sewage treatment, waste disposaland energy supplies. Overpopulation places competitive stress on the basic life sustaining resources, leading to a diminished quality of life

Continent and Projected 2050 population
Africa1.8 billion
Asia5.3 billion
Europe628 million
Latin America and Caribbean809 million
North America392 million

Human overpopulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indian cities are overpopulated. The country as a whole is ok for now. But still the population growth rate should be a little lower than what it is now.

If this is true than how feasible are these studies that predict stabilization of populations without taking in effect the possibility of emerging cities, I mean the predictions say 2040 or 2060 so whose to say there won't be more urban centers by then in India? Wouldn't more room also lead to more people? :pop:

Is the Indian population spread out evenly in the country or is massed in bunches in certain regions?

Yes it is largely evenly spread out. However, UP and Bihar are too densely populated along with the cities of Delhi, Mumbai and Calcutta.

If this is true than how feasible are these studies that predict stabilization of populations without taking in effect the possibility of emerging cities, I mean the predictions say 2040 or 2060 so whose to say there won't be more urban centers by then in India? Wouldn't more room also lead to more people? :pop:

It's based on the reducing fertility rate and birth rate in in India

I don't think fertile land has any relationship to larger population. Come on people, most of these countries were never educated like the today's Europe with 90%+ educated population.

India:

In my opinion there are various reasons for large population in India such as

1) literacy - People had least knowledge about condoms and other protectives. Moroever, the ruthless behaviour of South Asian communities. They wouldn't even allow women to take pills that may temporarily halt the production of babies after having a baby.

2) Poverty - People didn't have a job so they have plenty of spare time. So for time pass, you know what I mean

3) Religion - Many religions such as many "some" Muslim families would propagate/advocate that having large families is a matter of reward and it is God's wish to bestow you with his mercy and you cannot stop making babies.

4) Being one of the oldest countries in the world. Remember Indian Valley Civilisation? When there was no Europe.

China:

1) First thing you have to keep in mind is China is a large country. It is approximately three times as big as India. If you notice the old Indian subcontinent where Pakistan and Bangladesh being part of India. It might already be larger than China despite being half the size of China. If you notice China's population density is 80th in the world as compared to India's 33rd, Bangladesh's 12th, Maldives 11th and Pakistan's 59th. China's population is ok when you see it's large size.

List of countries by population density - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now the point is, China's population was ever growing. It had Qing, Yuan, Mind, Tang and Han dynasties when the world didn't know even know Europe exists in the map.

USA was only discovered few centuries ago whereas China has a known history of thousands of years, hence justifying the reason of their large population.

In terms of arable land , India's pop density is less than China. Western half of China is largely uninhabitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom