Sri Lanka Trip Report By American Visitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delhi_CITY_Regi_DE_1446635e.jpg
B_Id_378875_ISBT_Kashmiri_Gate_renovation.jpg

state-of-the-art-facilities.jpg

bus1--621x414.jpg

delhi bus adda ( bus station)

buddy don't even go that way... indian highways are much longer and better.

It's Quality over Quantity.
Sri lankan Highway, Non stop video for 20 minutes.

It has all signage, landscaping, retroflective lighting.

Your best highway the yammu highway doesn't even come close. You should read discussion on other forums dedicated to this infrastructure.
Here are some things I cannot see from the picture:
- Roadside service areas
- Reflector lane separators
- 3 time alert exit/entry signs
- Exit sign system which tells you which km/mile you are exiting
- can you miss an exit and get back on the highway quickly
- Expanded lanes near exit/entry
- Sound dampeners - are there walls (in the US you can see plenty of them) that are built to dampen sounds for neighborhoods?
- Dedicated approach lanes for exit
- traffic alert warning systems (electronic boards that warn delays, temporary speed limits etc.)
- wrong way alerts (people end up driving on the wrong side of the road)
- bridges on the way also have similar or higher lanes or does it get squeezed out there? (larger bridges mean more expenditure, which I doubt would be built)

Other than this, unless I travel on YE, I wont be able to tell general riding comfort, banked curves, night driving visibility for designed speeds, etc.

I am basing my premise on the fact that people in India are not used to designing projects with stringent standards as that kind of standards cost money, something a country like the US can demand of its contractors as they can pay that money, but not something a country like India can demand as there might not be that budget. So it is quite natural to expect that India does not build its highways to high income country standards.

Maybe this is a road with very high user charges and probably built to higher design specifications. But then I'd like to see if the toll is affordable for users.
Indian Expressways Thread - News, Pics & Discussion - Page 82 - SkyscraperCity

Observe driver discipline difference. Here is 1 hour driving in 20 minutes; distance covered is 130km.

Rest Area on SL highways

Last edited:
toll is very affordable.. look at the traffic at toll plaza

gurgaon_toll.jpg

It's Quality over Quantity.
Sri lankan Highway, Non stop video for 20 minutes.

It has all signage, landscaping, retroflective lighting.

Your best highway the yammu highway doesn't even come close. You should read discussion on other forums dedicated to this infrastructure.
Here are some things I cannot see from the picture:
- Roadside service areas
- Reflector lane separators
- 3 time alert exit/entry signs
- Exit sign system which tells you which km/mile you are exiting
- can you miss an exit and get back on the highway quickly
- Expanded lanes near exit/entry
- Sound dampeners - are there walls (in the US you can see plenty of them) that are built to dampen sounds for neighborhoods?
- Dedicated approach lanes for exit
- traffic alert warning systems (electronic boards that warn delays, temporary speed limits etc.)
- wrong way alerts (people end up driving on the wrong side of the road)
- bridges on the way also have similar or higher lanes or does it get squeezed out there? (larger bridges mean more expenditure, which I doubt would be built)

Other than this, unless I travel on YE, I wont be able to tell general riding comfort, banked curves, night driving visibility for designed speeds, etc.

I am basing my premise on the fact that people in India are not used to designing projects with stringent standards as that kind of standards cost money, something a country like the US can demand of its contractors as they can pay that money, but not something a country like India can demand as there might not be that budget. So it is quite natural to expect that India does not build its highways to high income country standards.

Maybe this is a road with very high user charges and probably built to higher design specifications. But then I'd like to see if the toll is affordable for users.
Indian Expressways Thread - News, Pics & Discussion - Page 82 - SkyscraperCity

Observe driver discipline difference. Here is 1 hour driving in 20 minutes; distance covered is 130km.

Rest Area on SL highways

buddy we have all thay here.. forget delhi even at small town like Amritsar have all thaty you mentioned.

toll is very affordable.. look at the traffic at toll plaza

gurgaon_toll.jpg

buddy we have all thay here.. forget delhi even at small town like Amritsar have all thaty you mentioned.

Please show me.

^^^^
hehehe i remember that guy ..!!! :lol: same troll ..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom