What's new

Sri Lanka Trip Report By American Visitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was hard for me not to draw parallels between Sri Lanka and India, what with the proximity of the two countries, not to mention their common-ish ethnic, linguistic and religious ties. But my comparison was shattered almost immediately upon arrival at Colombo’s Bandaranayake international Airport earlier this week.
Sri-Lanka-1.jpg

Dog-Tuk-Tuk.jpg

Indeed, after resting up at my guest house in Colombo 4 – Colombo is divided into 14 numbered districts, not unlike Paris – I set out early to explore the city. I found myself continually amazed by just how progressive Colombo is, given that it is the capital of a country only recently free from the throes of civil war.
Preserving the local environment, for example, is high on the agenda of the Sri Lankan government. Officials have built cages arounds even the smallest of trees that sprout up in the city, and penalties for cutting down trees – even those on your own property – can include imprisonment.

Sri-Lanka-Tree.jpg

Sri Lankan environmental welfare extends to animals as well: The Colombo city government is in the process of rounding up, fixing and vaccinating stray dogs and cats.
And it’s not just a top-down approach. While en route to the Sri Lanka National Museum, itself home to a tree nearly as wide as the museum building, I came upon a demonstration of local school boys, advocating for a waste-segregation recycling scheme. Contrast this to nearby countries – again, India springs to mind – where even one-size-fits-all trash cans are absent in most places.

Environment-March.jpg

Colombo has even constructed dedicated bike lines which, although not currently in very heavy use, provide an alluring alternative to the traditional car, bus and auto-rickshaw tuk-tuk that congests the city’s streets.
This is not to say Colombo is a perfect city, or completely free from the kinds of grit, grime and disorganization that plaque many of the other metropolises in the region.

Cycle-Lane.jpg

They have pavement. Actual pavement. With 'blind-man bumps' and everything. Pedestrian crossings and traffic lights

IMG_0733.jpg

Colombo train station have digital boards!
IMG_0847.JPG

The Sky Lounge at the Kingsbury Hotel on Galle Road. Yes, you read that right... Sky Lounge
IMG_0856.JPG

India has a long way to go catch up to Sri lanka in infrastructure.
IMG_0863.JPG

This is not infrastructure, its logistics and competitiveness ranking!

This is infrastructure. Quality of overall infrastructure - Country Rankings 2011

I don't even know what ranking that is, i'm pretty sure our ports are more advanced than indian ports.

And the competitiveness report takes a number factors into account including access to markets. We were above india in the older reports, however there was a little bit of financial consolidation last year, which effected this years result.

Wouldn't worry too much about it, India is not seen as a competitor. We are heading for the top 20 in the GCR by 2020.

I remember that link you posted yesterday which US crude output last year was 12.1 milllion Bpd. lol nobody in the planet would believe that. US crude production was 6 million bpd, they cannot double capacity in less than a year lol So cant really trust your links.

This is infrastructure. Quality of overall infrastructure - Country Rankings 2011

I don't even know what ranking that is, i'm pretty sure our ports are more advanced than indian ports.

And the competitiveness report takes a number factors into account including access to markets. We were above india in the older reports, however there was a little bit of financial consolidation last year, which effected this years result.

Wouldn't worry too much about it, India is not seen as a competitor. We are heading for the top 20 in the GCR by 2020.
You didnt read the links i gave you,read it again.........

And the links you are giving are older, I am giving you the latest rankings.......

It was hard for me not to draw parallels between Sri Lanka and India, what with the proximity of the two countries, not to mention their common-ish ethnic, linguistic and religious ties. But my comparison was shattered almost immediately upon arrival at Colombo’s Bandaranayake international Airport earlier this week.
Sri-Lanka-1.jpg

Dog-Tuk-Tuk.jpg

Indeed, after resting up at my guest house in Colombo 4 – Colombo is divided into 14 numbered districts, not unlike Paris – I set out early to explore the city. I found myself continually amazed by just how progressive Colombo is, given that it is the capital of a country only recently free from the throes of civil war.
Preserving the local environment, for example, is high on the agenda of the Sri Lankan government. Officials have built cages arounds even the smallest of trees that sprout up in the city, and penalties for cutting down trees – even those on your own property – can include imprisonment.

Sri-Lanka-Tree.jpg

Sri Lankan environmental welfare extends to animals as well: The Colombo city government is in the process of rounding up, fixing and vaccinating stray dogs and cats.
And it’s not just a top-down approach. While en route to the Sri Lanka National Museum, itself home to a tree nearly as wide as the museum building, I came upon a demonstration of local school boys, advocating for a waste-segregation recycling scheme. Contrast this to nearby countries – again, India springs to mind – where even one-size-fits-all trash cans are absent in most places.

Environment-March.jpg

Colombo has even constructed dedicated bike lines which, although not currently in very heavy use, provide an alluring alternative to the traditional car, bus and auto-rickshaw tuk-tuk that congests the city’s streets.
This is not to say Colombo is a perfect city, or completely free from the kinds of grit, grime and disorganization that plaque many of the other metropolises in the region.

Cycle-Lane.jpg

They have pavement. Actual pavement. With 'blind-man bumps' and everything. Pedestrian crossings and traffic lights

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0847.JPG

The Sky Lounge at the Kingsbury Hotel on Galle Road. Yes, you read that right... Sky Lounge
IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

Cleaniless is fine but india is way ahead in infrastructure buddy..

I remember that link you posted yesterday which US crude output last year was 12.1 milllion Bpd. lol nobody in the planet would believe that. US crude production was 6 million bpd, they cannot double capacity in less than a year lol So cant really trust your links.
LOL,i gave you different links and you were not beilieving that...

You have got to be joking if you think india is ahead of Sri lanka in infrastructure!!
LOL,I gave you the rankings,Counter it!
As for airports check this out......;)
World's Top 100 Airports | 2013

Didn't your mother teach you, If you have nothing nice to say its better to not say anything at all.

You can attack my argument, but the personal attack is uncalled for.

Especially given the fact that I'm not arguing anything, I'm simply pasting a trip report.
Dude stop bitching around and stop posting self-praising threads. As I said leave it to tourists to decide what is clean and what is not. You are just ruining our reputation by bragging uselessly.

Sri-Lanka-1.jpg

Dog-Tuk-Tuk.jpg

Sri-Lanka-Tree.jpg

Environment-March.jpg

Cycle-Lane.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

What is so special in these pictures that you are telling us India has long way to go. You mean having a digital signboard at railway station has become big achievement for Sri Lanka. :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha: The total length of the road in the last must be 0.0001% of the total length of India's Golden Quadrilateral. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You didnt read the links i gave you,read it again.........

And the links you are giving are older, I am giving you the latest rankings.......

Read full Report

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GlobalCompetitivenessReport_2013-14.pdf

Page 27

India is stage 1 (factor driven economy)

Sri lanka is stage 2 (transitive economy).

Page 35 and 34 (Infrastructure rankings)

India Ranked 85th

Sri lanka 73rd

Case closed

Sri lanka is ranked 43rd; India is ranked 75th :haha:

What is so special in these pictures that you are telling us India has long way to go. You mean having a digital signboard at railway station has become big achievement for Sri Lanka. :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha: The total length of the road in the last must be 0.0001% of the total length of India's Golden Quadrilateral. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I apologize for his idiocy. :(

I heard the Golden Quadrilateral was the most dangerous potholed road on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom