What's new

Pakistan Army's T-129 ATAK Helicopter Deal | Updates & Discussions.

I interacted with few Turkish officials during Defence Port Turkey Expo. The information I received was,

1: There is no blockade of engines from United States

2: Pakistan has reportedly updated its requirements about T129 twice to thrice in past year, causing the delay.

3: Pakistan T129 are in production line, however, if PA continued to keep updating its requirements then deliveries might delay as far as 2023.

4: Pakistan is overhauling Cobras as stop gap measure.

5: T129 defeated Z10 in rigorous trials in Pakistan.

If this is true then PA needs to get its shit together and stop being an IAF

3: Pakistan T129 are in production line, however, if PA continued to keep updating its requirements then deliveries might delay as far as 2023.

Then I would rather see T-129 V2 (heavy) in sight of PA. However, these updating requirements will be based upon the need to have a proper/capable T-129 with everything to get the job done.

@cabatli_53

We might opt for a batch of surplus Cobras from a brotherly country.
Pakistan should upgrade old Cobras to this standard. 48 upgraded Cobras with 30 T-129s would be a deadly force against Indian armor.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-offer-big-capabilities-without-the-price-tag
https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1528150774774-ah-1z-cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
I interacted with few Turkish officials during Defence Port Turkey Expo. The information I received was,

1: There is no blockade of engines from United States

2: Pakistan has reportedly updated its requirements about T129 twice to thrice in past year, causing the delay.

4: Pakistan is overhauling Cobras as stop gap measure.

5: T129 defeated Z10 in rigorous trials in Pakistan.

The main thing is weapons on platform, TOW has basically 3650 meter range on ground version not sure about air launched version, limiting is its
Wire guidance, needing Clear line of sight plus not being fire and forget plus not a top attack like latest missiles which have 8-10 km range does not allowing platform to be outside the range of short range manpsds and other short range defenses

If older cobra can get 8-10 kn weapons than who cares western front need is done deal it’s eastern front anti tank role now back

The main thing is weapons on platform, TOW has basically 3650 meter range on ground version not sure about air launched version, limiting is its
Wire guidance, needing Clear line of sight plus not being fire and forget plus not a top attack like latest missiles which have 8-10 km range does not allowing platform to be outside the range of short range manpsds and other short range defenses
@Signalian @Quwa
Pakistani Cobras were meant to carry TOW I/II family of ATGMs but were updated to carry locally made Baktar Shikan (HJ-8).

Now Pakistan is no longer producing Baktar Shikan but will start domestic production of new 3rd Gen NLOS F&F ATGM sourced from a close Non-Turkish allay in near future.

Since Pakistan has not acquired any Turkish ATGM for land based units, should we assume that Pakistan wants to equip its T129 with THAT ATGM?

Thus the change in requirements, and thus the delays in T129 deliveries.

Last edited:

If older cobra can get 8-10 kn weapons than who cares western front need is done deal it’s eastern front anti tank role now back
Pakistan should get same update as Jordan which adds new sensors, glass cockpit, APKWS, and Hellfire capabilities putting on close to AH-1Z capabilities. It could be in PA service for 20+ more years then without upgrade.
https://www.arabianaerospace.aero/modernised-cobras-give-rjaf-extra-bite.html

@Signalian @Quwa
Pakistani Cobras were meant to carry TOW I/II family of ATGMs but were updated to carry locally made Baktar Shikan (HJ-8).

Now Pakistan is no longer producing Baktar Shikan but will start domestic production of new 3rd Gen NLOS F&F ATGM sourced from a close Non-Turkish allay in near future.

Since Pakistan has not acquired any Turkish ATGM for land based units, should we assume that Pakistan wants to equip its T129 with THAT ATGM?

Thus the change in requirements, and thus the delays in T129 deliveries.
Cobras can be equipped with Hellfires like Jordanian upgrade from Orbital ATK. With MX-15D, glass cockpit, APKWS, and Hellfires the capabilities of the upgraded Cobras would be close to AH-1Z and therefor close to T-129.

I was thinking a large number of large ones actually, albeit at the cost of spreading the induction period to a much longer period of time (10-15 years). If we do continue with the T129, I'd allocate them to the areas in need of high-altitude support (create an integrated force using T129s, Fennecs, and a suitable transport helicopter). But for desert and plains, go heavy.

Same brotherly country has surplus F16s as well also Japan has surplus cobras

Pakistan should get same update as Jordan which adds new sensors, glass cockpit, APKWS, and Hellfire capabilities putting on close to AH-1Z capabilities. It could be in PA service for 20+ more years then without upgrade.

Cobras can be equipped with Hellfires like Jordanian upgrade from Orbital ATK. With MX-15D, glass cockpit, APKWS, and Hellfires the capabilities of the upgraded Cobras would be close to AH-1Z and therefor close to T-129.

TAI already has a cobra modernization package with Aselsan. It uses the same avionics and flir as T129. Why would a country ordering 30 t129s prefer someone else instead of TAI ?

DmfaiaiUcAAr_7T.jpg

bahreyn-modernice-ah-1-cobra.jpg

That sale was always our interest but my intention was in regard to possible delay for T-129 and PA updating list.

TAI already has a cobra modernization package with Aselsan. It uses the same avionics and flir as T129. Why would a country ordering 30 t129s prefer someone else instead of TAI ?

DmfaiaiUcAAr_7T.jpg

bahreyn-modernice-ah-1-cobra.jpg
I don't know? It might be harder to get permission for Turkish upgrade over American upgrade for Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom