What's new

Pakistan Army's T-129 ATAK Helicopter Deal | Updates & Discussions.

So it is different from ATAK2??
T-629 will have a weight of 6+t. Acc to Kotil, The design activities were completed and The test flight will be done in 1 years. I believe T-629 will be the helicopter that is mentioned as T-129 Block-2. A modified T-129 with better armor protection I believe.

T-629 will have a weight of 6+t. Acc to Kotil, The design activities were completed and The test flight will be done in 1 years. I believe T-629 will be the helicopter that is mentioned as T-129 Block-2. A modified T-129 with better armor protection I believe.

I think it's more a armed version of T-625 (Gökbey).

I think it's more a armed version of T-625 (Gökbey).

I don’t suppose TAI will give a new name to T-625 cause of making it armed bro. Just call it T-625B/C to describe armed variant like Hürkuş. TAI has been evaluating a ITAR free modified (nose section) T-129 atak with a weight of 6 ton. I think It is T-629.

Makes sense, that means T-629 is basically a new designed T-129 in 6 ton category and ATAK-II (10 ton) is a heavier T-629.

So, basically, if the US hammers the Pakistani T129 deal, then Pakistan could get the T-629.

So, basically, if the US hammers the Pakistani T129 deal, then Pakistan could get the T-629.

Bro, There are two consideration for T-629. I and some others think that T-629 will be based on existing T-129 with modified fuselage and improved capabilities. Other group predicts that T-629 will be based on utility helo T-625 but to be armed. In utility helo name coding T-625; 6:ton; 2:turboshaft; 5 rotor blade but I predict that T-629; 6:ton, 2: turboshaft; 9: generation code adressing as being the newer generation of T-129 platform(last digit). In this aspect, ITAR-free T-129 (T-629)with modified nose maybe be the solution Pakistan and Turkiye are likely working on.

T-629
upload_2019-10-29_11-47-1.jpeg

• Gökbey rotor and transmission
  • TS-1400 national turboshaft engine
  • Improved weapon paylod
  • Hiden ammo storage
  • New generation network centric avionics
  • Advanced EW suit
  • New place under the fuselage for indigenous 20mm gatling gun

We will see this helicopter (T-629) with technical configuration told above. An attack helicopter based on Gökbey rotor and transmission was the first idea TAI bring forward but later the project evolved to develop a heavy class attack helicopter with a name of Atak-2 but It seems TAI has never given up its ambitious to create this 6t heli from the beggining.

Atak-2 with 30mm gun will have a MTOW up to 12t.
upload_2019-10-29_11-49-18.jpeg

T-129 has two variants.
T-129A. Is recon version which can use cannon and unguided rockets only.

T-129B. Multirole version capable of using guided munitions.

T-629
View attachment 586558
  • Improved weapon paylod
  • Hiden ammo storage
  • Advanced EW suit

We will see this helicopter (T-629) with technical configuration told above. An attack helicopter based on Gökbey rotor and transmission was the first idea TAI bring forward but later the project evolved to develop a heavy class attack helicopter with a name of Atak-2 but It seems TAI has never given up its ambitious to create this 6t heli from the beggining.

View attachment 586559

I think TAI will redesign ATAK-2.

Seeing the way other companies are going I think ATAK-2 current design will be outdated by the time it goes into production in terms of payload, speed, range.

I think they will present a new design incorporating NG details ( Retractable Gears, Internal Weapon Stations) which would push it back a couple years, T-629 would be hold over with heavier payload and better armor until ATAK-2 goes into production.

Because otherwise this doesn't make any sense unless we all are getting something wrong.

T-629
View attachment 586558
  • Improved weapon paylod
  • Hiden ammo storage
  • Advanced EW suit

View attachment 586559
is there 1600,1800 and 2000 hp engine being considered?

is there 1600,1800 and 2000 hp engine being considered?
I believe TEI's goal is to develop a family engines around the TS1400 technology so that Turkish Aerospace's 10 ton general purpose helicopter gets a domestic engine.

If the T629 is a reworked ATAK, I'd be very interested. Sure, it won't be heavy like the ATAK-2, but I imagine, it'll be more affordable for fielding in numbers.

T-129 has two variants.
T-129A. Is recon version which can use cannon and unguided rockets only.

T-129B. Multirole version capable of using guided munitions.
PA, Dhamyal base trainer said, we are in urgent need of fleet for Afghan border deployment,due to constant disturbance from Afghanistan. It's been linger for the last 10 years. Chinese helicopter failed test. Specially harness get moisture at certain alleviation. Some sensors stop working.

Last edited:
I believe TEI's goal is to develop a family engines around the TS1400 technology so that Turkish Aerospace's 10 ton general purpose helicopter gets a domestic engine.

If the T629 is a reworked ATAK, I'd be very interested. Sure, it won't be heavy like the ATAK-2, but I imagine, it'll be more affordable for fielding in numbers.

That’s true. TS-1400 core turbine will be a base to develop a turboshaft engine family to power up new projects. Atak-2 and 10t utility helicopters will use same engine, transmission and rotor; on the other hand, T-629 Attack and T-625 utility helicopters will have common sections mentioned above. However, T-629 will be the ITAR free attack helicopter of TUSAŞ which is going to strengten the hands of Turkish industry against the sanction cards of US and West. She has more advanced features, better avionics, more payload, MMW integration and hidden EW sensors inside fuselage. Munition box will be hiden inside the fuselage as well but First of all, We should succeed to develop TS-1400 engines in a short time. Otherwise, We will keep begging US and Europe to draw our roadway.

That is the future !
upload_2019-10-29_23-3-19.jpeg

T-629
View attachment 586558
  • Improved weapon paylod
  • Hiden ammo storage
  • Advanced EW suit

View attachment 586559

What I sense, is something as what both of us did with Milgem class but of Pakistan need, changes & upgrades.

So will there still be a attack version of Gökbey. What about Kiowa like scout helo based on Gökbey?

AvRID should think about how we can partner up with Turks on helo manufacturing and grass root development in Pakistan. There is already a sentiment of cooperation regarding TFX and Project AZM.

If this can be realized we will be able to have a good, reliable family of helicopters with shared parts and systems. From light utility to attack and everything in between.

Pakistan cannot afford to keep doling out precious forex to already rich countries.

Either make our own entirely. Or form JVs like we did with the JF17 programme.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom