What's new

Pakistan-A real market for the Mirage 2000-9 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirage-2k-9 sits right IN BETWEEN the Thunder-Viper capabilities. None of those jets are as good of a strike aircraft the M2k-9 is.

Why not just go for J-20 when it comes online? Start saving it for now probably? These jets might go out of fashion in the next 10-15 years and our existing platforms I believe will serve us until then. More Vipers can fill the gaps as well as the later blocks of JF-17 there is no need for anything else.

Mirage-2k-9 sits right IN BETWEEN the Thunder-Viper capabilities. None of those jets are as good of a strike aircraft the M2k-9 is.

Splurging on it means we need it in meaningful numbers, vis a vis 2 squadrons. Now comes the problem of money management.

Why not just go for J-20 when it comes online? Start saving it for now probably? These jets might go out of fashion in the next 10-15 years and our existing platforms I believe will serve us until then. More Vipers can fill the gaps as well as the later blocks of JF-17 there is no need for anything else.

Can't pay for them, nor will China be selling them. J-31 would be available for PAF IF its ever developed into an operational aircraft, for that too we would have to save up for a decade.

J-20 will never be available to us nor can we handle a plane close to $100 million a pop. Probably J-3X and that too is a good decade away.

Funny i spoke to someone higher up and he was dead set against it. Man some tuckloos we have :-)

PS: Probably because he adores the Thunder and it being his baby.
I think there can be arguments for and against it. It is a wonderful plane but is the timing of buying it right or not this is what we have repeatedly been debating.
Araz

Splurging on it means we need it in meaningful numbers, vis a vis 2 squadrons. Now comes the problem of money management.

PAF is looking for almost 50 more F-16s from Surplus sources. We might have PAF retain its numerical strength through surplus F-16s and Mirages. Cost is an issue and it would have to be mitigated one way or another.

PAF is looking for almost 50 more F-16s from Surplus sources. We might have PAF retain its numerical strength through surplus F-16s and Mirages. Cost is an issue and it would have to be mitigated one way or another.
If this is the case then better to stick to 16s rather than fork out on a third platform. At those sort of numbers you can even make a case for older C&Ds from the US .We should be able to coarse our allies into selling some older EDA stock at a reasonable price.
Araz

F-16 takes precedence over Mirages, no doubt about it. F-16 is India centric which is our paranoia. The more the merrier. Cost for new acquisition has been put on for solas.

If this is the case then better to stick to 16s rather than fork out on a third platform. At those sort of numbers you can even make a case for older C&Ds from the US .We should be able to coarse our allies into selling some older EDA stock at a reasonable price.
Araz

One possibility that has been discussed is ~60 Norwegian F-16 MLU-MV fleet which would become surplus in a few years time. Mirages AFAIK are being sought for their Strike capabilities. Its capabilities bridge the gap between the Sixteens and Seventeens.

F-16 takes precedence over Mirages, no doubt about it. F-16 is India centric which is our paranoia. The more the merrier. Cost for new acquisition has been put on for solas.

FYI - A new BAE HAWK costs $30 million a pop.

One possibility that has been discussed is ~60 Norwegian F-16 MLU-MV fleet which would become surplus in a few years time. Mirages AFAIK are being sought for their Strike capabilities. Its capabilities bridge the gap between the Sixteens and Seventeens.

Hawk trainer? Shieeet. Our F-16s are from the parking lot. Refurbished, so cheap. Imagine the cost of J-3X, im sure it will be around $50 mil give or take, phew.

We need three platforms off 4th Generation Fighter jets for next 15 years at least

Hawk trainer? Shieeet. Our F-16s are from the parking lot. Refurbished, so cheap. Imagine the cost of J-3X, im sure it will be around $50 mil give or take, phew.

ADA F-16s will be used for 'conversion' on F-16s. It would mean that all MLU would go to 'active service'.

Reactions: HRK
One possibility that has been discussed is ~60 Norwegian F-16 MLU-MV fleet which would become surplus in a few years time. Mirages AFAIK are being sought for their Strike capabilities. Its capabilities bridge the gap between the Sixteens and Seventeens..
Thanks for the update and a very sensible choice if I may say so. I will maintain my reservations on the M2K9s on the basis of the argumentsI have presented. I dont know how feasible it would be to replace the snecma M53 with RD93MA / chinese replacement, which might give us some commonality of spares but still it would be an expensive venture. Do you happen to know what is happening to the rest of the Jordanian fleet which PAF was going to take over. Thanks in advance.
Araz

you think the europeans will sell there equipment to pakistan? the netherlands held the biggest force of F-16s they got rid of half of them about 100, i'm sure our side made an offer yet they told us to go to hell, the norwegians will say the same thing. the best hope PAF have is the egyptians who currently have the biggest fleet 240 f-16s, Indonesia/Maylasia, jordanians and turkey.

you think the europeans will sell there equipment to pakistan? the netherlands held the biggest force of F-16s they got rid of half of them about 100, i'm sure our side made an offer yet they told us to go to hell, the norwegians will say the same thing. the best hope PAF have is the egyptians who currently have the biggest fleet 240 f-16s, Indonesia/Maylasia, jordanians and turkey.

Not the Egyptians. TURAF has 240 vipers with all Block 50/50+/CCIP versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom