What's new

PAF J-10C News, Updates and Discussion

I suspect the PAF wants to keep the J-10CE's details opaque to keep India's knowledge about it as minimal as possible. However, the PAF wasn't going to induct a legacy mechanically-steered radar or even PESA radar with its new fighter platform. It's not only an issue of it being older technology, but in the current environment, it would be a liability to bring in that specific tech.

Interestingly, a few years ago, word got out that the PAF asked Russia to equip the Su-35 with an AESA radar, but Russia said it couldn't. Initially, I thought it was some rumour nonsense, but it turns out, several countries asked, but Russia wasn't able to do it for some reason and it lost out on a couple of contracts. However, this tells us that an AESA radar was part of the ASR.
The secrecy part I can understand, but one can at lease have a name. As it is we'll just have to refer to it as the "J-10C radar" or the "J-10C aesa". Quite tedious.

Come to think of it, since the engine is called WS-10, maybe the radars is 'JS-10'? :-)

The secrecy part I can understand, but one can at lease have a name. As it is we'll just have to refer to it as the "J-10C radar" or the "J-10C aesa". Quite tedious.

Come to think of it, since the engine is called WS-10, maybe the radars is 'JS-10'? :-)
I too am looking forward to this WS-10 turbofan engine.

Russia will then not have any leverage on fighter plane engines.

IMO if we want to be conservative, we can call it KLJ-7A+ (i.e. same radar as the Block-3, but with more TRMs and/or higher output).

No, since the current radar in the Block 2 JF-17 is the KLJ-7V2 and the Block 3's radar is the KLJ-7A it seems not unlikely that the J-10C's radar is a development of the original Type 1473G. How this is designated is not known and IMO anything between KLJ-XA or even a KLJ-10A but unlikely JS-10.

This even larger AAM - in fact a ULR-AAM is called PL-21 from what i know, but the J-10C cannot carry it. As it seems, the standard ARM is the YJ-91.

View attachment 820156

Are you sure? IMO it is a "well-optimized multi-role fighter!" We only get images with air to ground weaponry so rarely since the PLAAF does not want to show them. The same applies to the J-15, which most often you see carrying either AAMs or dumb rocket pods, but no-one would question it to be a most capable multirole type.

And also interesting for Pakistan, ... Finally confirmed! It was long expected, but until now never seen before: A PLAAF J-10C carrying a YJ-83K AShM.

(Image via @鼎盛大彪 from Weibo)

J-10C_YJ-83K.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow is Friday , and i love Friday :smitten:

No, since the current

And also interesting for Pakistan, ... Finally confirmed! It was long expected, but until now never seen before: A PLAAF J-10C carrying a YJ-83K AShM.

View attachment 820496
Soon you will see PL-21 with J-10c too

No, since the current radar in the Block 2 JF-17 is the KLJ-7V2 and the Block 3's radar is the KLJ-7A it seems not unlikely that the J-10C's radar is a development of the original Type 1473G. How this is designated is not known and IMO anything between KLJ-XA or even a KLJ-10A but unlikely JS-10.

View attachment 820496

As I've mentioned before, in my view the J-10C is being tailored for strike purposes for the PAF, especially with SOWs and AShM for maritime strike. The PLAAF doesn't have a need to use the J-10C in the strike role as it has the heavier Flanker variants for its long range needs, but for the PAF, this is the only real viable solution in lieu of not being able to upgrade its Viper fleet for strike, and the JF-17 being a lightweight airframe.

We've seen one on a J-16.

I thought that monster ULR-AAM is called PL-20 and the PL-21 is the a RAMjet-powered AAM? (IMO more a hoax than a real one)

And this large AAM is IMO too large and heavy for the J-10, even more I think it si not yet in service and if it will be exported, is again another question if you mean this one:

1646337344719.png

No official confirmation. We know nothing - not how many are coming now or later this year or in total.

Figure of 25 was given by Sheikh Rasheed, but even with that we don't know if it's total number of J10, or numbers to receive this year, or just that a total of 25 aircraft (not necessarily J10) will fly on 23 March.

Everything else you are reading is speculation - some of it based on reason, some just people pretending like they know what they are talking about.
IMHO 25 could be either delivered this year or to be delivered before 23rd of March. Because even Sheikh's knowledge about the acquisition is limited.

There is no way 25 jets of the same model would flypast in the parade. It could be 1 J-10CP or 3 at most flypast in a formation.

Because J-10B used either a PESA or AESA (it is still uncertain what type and good arguments made for both with some evidence suggesting PESA and some suggesting AESA) either way it is 100% an phased array type radar.

J-10C 100% uses an AESA and it is a different radar to J-10B. This is not only known but also officially said.

JF-17 Block 3 uses AESA. J-10CE offers AESA. How is it possible that PAF would not buy J-10CP/CE with AESA?

Again here I notice more members are confused.

J-10C of PLAAF is probably not using side array type!

It is a misunderstanding that is not helped by Millenium's recent videos on J-10.

J-10C does not use the radar that has three facets. It uses a single facet front facing only AESA.

JF-17 block 3 was offered two types from China (and some from Europe) where one is featuring two side facing arrays and front facing one.

There are many, many, many types of AESA fighter radars developed and used by PLAAF and on offer for export and offered to PAF and used by PAF. They overlap but often are unique units. So the confusion is understandable.

We can say for sure that J-10C's AESA is not the same as the two types offered for JF-17 block 3. J-10CP's radar may be the same as J-10C's we don't know.

100% all of these are AESAs. Most likely GaN type AESA for J-10C and unknown for JF-17 block 3 but should be since Chinese radar tech moved to GaN since 2017.
Any source or evidence of Chinese GaN radar under production??

As far as I can remember, PAF was offered the options from 2 different manufacturers. From which 1 was KLJ-7A which itself had 3 iterations depending upon the antenna configurations.

I thought that monster ULR-AAM is called PL-20 and the PL-21 is the a RAMjet-powered AAM? (IMO more a hoax than a real one)

And this large AAM is IMO too large and heavy for the J-10, even more I think it si not yet in service and if it will be exported, is again another question if you mean this one:

View attachment 820517

I don’t think it is too big of a deal weight wise. J-10C could carry fuel tanks/air to ground missiles, which are way bulkier. The real question is whether the radar is powerful enough to take advantage of this missile.

You can send a complaint via PM portal for citizens.

All three if you please!

Before replying you should have understood my posts properly. I was replying to posts made previously by other users on the subject of radar. You can't understand my post by looking at it in isolation, you have to read it in the context in which it was made to understand the point I was making.

And that point wasn't specifically about AESA or not AESA. It was about secrecy around the J-10 radar, shrouding it in mystery. And why such secrecy? You don't reveal anything about a radar's capability by revealing it's name. We know block-3 has KLJ-7A and that it's AESA. Does that tell us everything about it's capabilities? Infact nothing more than a few generalistic conclusions can be reached from this information. So Why not even this much for J-10?
PAF hasn’t even officially disclosed the purchase of J10 publicly yet! So the whole aircraft is still an open secret. You can look at the Chinese J10s to get an idea.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom