What's new

Operation 'Decisive Storm' | Saudi lead coalition operations in Yemen - Updates & Discussions.

Pakistan should have supported the coalition atleast with air support followed by deploying more troops within the territory of KSA along the border with yemen.

Iran must understand that Houthis has nothing to do with them and no country will ever support them in the compaign to overthrow a already existing govt.

I must say,that bad decision by Pakistan.This is the time KSA needed us and we should have supported them

Parliament's resolution against direct involvement is correct. Even a child knows that aerial bombing alone has never won a war. Victors need boots on the ground to effectively control and impose their will on the defeated. North Yemen in particular, is a hilly country, ideal for the guerrilla war and all invaders including the Ottomans failed to completely subdue the Yemeni tribes, something similar to Afghanistan.

The following was printed recently in the New York Times, IMO it correctly reflects the ground realities. However Saudi lovers are welcome to disagree.

Bombing Yemen Won’t Help It

WASHINGTON — Yemen’s volatile civil war has been depicted as merely a battleground between Sunni Arab countries and Shiite Iran for dominance in the Middle East.

The Houthis, northern tribal rebels who have waged a prolonged insurgency against the Yemeni government, took the capital, Sana, in September and have continued to seize territory since, drawing near to the southern port city of Aden, forcing President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi to flee and prompting a Saudi-led military intervention last month. But in fact, the conflict in Yemen is local, not regional. And the Saudi-led, American-backed bombing campaign is doomed to failure. It will fuel Yemen’s internal strife, condemning it to a protracted torment that could rival Syria’s four-year-old civil war.

Washington and Riyadh have pushed the narrative of an Iranian-supported Houthi rebellion in Yemen. This is an oversimplification at best.

While the Houthis are Shiites, their Zaydi faith is theologically distinct from the Shiite practices of most Iranians. Historically, this has limited ties between them and Tehran. And although Iran has given the Houthis some financial support, it has not been directly involved in the conflict. In fact, many of the Houthis’ recent gains are a result of their alliance with Sunni supporters of Mr. Hadi’s predecessor, Ali Abdullah Saleh, who was removed from power in 2012,

during the Arab Spring.

Iran’s major gains in the region are in post-Saddam Hussein Iraq, where the Iranians are funding and training Shiite militias battling the Islamic State. In Syria, Iranian support has been critical to the survival of the regime of Bashar al-Assad. Yemen, where Iran’s involvement is trivial, is simply not a major front in this broader regional struggle.

The conflict in Yemen — a continuing power struggle between the central government and the many secessionist and tribal groups that seek greater autonomy — is all about Yemen. And it dates back more than half a century.

Yemen itself was not even unified until 1990, when the collapse of the Soviet Union led Marxist South Yemen to unite with the Yemen Arab Republic to the north. In addition to conflicts between the two states, Yemen has experienced a succession of civil wars both before and after reunification, including rebellions by both northern tribesmen and southern secessionists. These conflicts were driven largely by uneven economic development and a distrust of the central government.

In today’s crisis we find not only the culmination of a 10-year guerrilla war by the northern Houthi tribesmen, but also a growing insurgency in the east by Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, continued popular dissatisfaction in the south, and mixed support for the transitional government by mainstream political parties.

The United States plays a role, too, as drone strikes targeting Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula have sparked popular outrage against the government. This is why the bombing campaign is so shortsighted. Ostensibly, the coalition has several broad objectives. Saudi officials emphasize their intention to roll back Houthi gains, and to restore Mr. Hadi’s government. A White House statement pledging American intelligence and logistical support emphasized the same factors.

Continue reading the main story
Though it has not been explicitly stated, the Persian Gulf states that are backing the Saudi intervention — the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain — also have another goal: combating growing Iranian influence. Yet bombing has so far failed to achieve any of these objectives.

Past foreign military interventions in Yemen have failed. Following a four-year insurgency against colonial rule, the British were forced to withdraw from Aden in 1967, resulting in the formation of the People’s Republic of South Yemen. An intervention led by Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt in 1962-67, designed to prop up a pro-Egyptian government, likewise failed as Yemeni tribesmen waged an effective guerrilla war against Egyptian troops. More recently, a 2009 Saudi invasion of northern Yemen, responding to cross-border raids by the Houthis, ended in the withdrawal of Saudi troops, and no strategic gains. Each failed because of the internecine nature of tribal conflict in Yemen and the effective use of guerrilla tactics. Any ground force in the current conflict will also suffer defeat.

The Houthis have long felt marginalized by Yemen’s political processes, and argue that corruption and a lack of representation mean that they don’t experience any benefits from economic development or Yemen’s natural resources. The group has waged a successful decade-long guerrilla war against the government in Sana. They know the terrain and have local support. After more than a decade of counterinsurgency strategy in Afghanistan, the futility of subduing tribal insurgencies should be well known to the United States.

Moreover, restoring Mr. Hadi, now in exile in Riyadh, would solve none of Yemen’s underlying problems. The free and fair elections promised during the Arab Spring were postponed because of factional disagreements; Mr. Hadi himself has no domestic power base. Though this made him an ideal compromise candidate in 2012, it constrains his ability to effectively govern.

The United States should encourage a political settlement, focused not on reinstalling a figurehead, but on creating a durable political process that addresses the grievances of Yemen’s regional groups. A two-sector federalized state, which the Houthis have supported in the past, could provide such a framework.

Yemen has the potential to become the next Syria, spiraling into sectarian violence, with money and arms from abroad fueling the conflict. If Arab airstrikes continue, Yemen is likely to become a failed state. Tragically, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula would be the one beneficiary, as the terrorist group enjoys a respite from drone strikes, counterterrorism campaigns and Houthi attacks.

A bombing campaign won’t stabilize Yemen, or counter Iranian influence in the region. Instead, it could lead to a prolonged and bloody civil war and provide fertile ground for extremist groups. With the United States already bogged down in Iraq and Syria, there is little political appetite among Americans for wider intervention in Yemen. But the United States should stop reflexively supporting the Saudi-led military campaign, and instead push for a political settlement, so that the Arab world is spared from another unmanageable conflict.

Emma Ashford is a visiting research fellow at the Cato Institute.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/o...0150410&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=59685041&_r=0

"Analysts in the Arab world saw the Pakistani Parliament’s vote as a significant setback for Saudi Arabia, which is leading a campaign of airstrikes against the Houthis in Yemen. Saudi Arabia, a major donor to Pakistan, had incorrectly advertised Pakistani participation in the campaign from the night it began more than two weeks ago."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/world/asia/pakistan-yemen-iran.html?_r=0

KSA was spreading false rumours about Pakistan involvement from the get go to undermine Pakistan; from false al Arabiya reports (propganda outlet) to displaying Pakistani flag. Poor Royals were so desperate and now they the coalition can't fight out of a paper bag.

CCQ5yuTVIAAJnwf.jpg

A poetry by Masjid Al-Haram imam praising Decisive Storm:

The ones who don't like that can anytime cry a river.
I thought politics was not welcome there...

"Analysts in the Arab world saw the Pakistani Parliament’s vote as a significant setback for Saudi Arabia, which is leading a campaign of airstrikes against the Houthis in Yemen. Saudi Arabia, a major donor to Pakistan, had incorrectly advertised Pakistani participation in the campaign from the night it began more than two weeks ago."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/world/asia/pakistan-yemen-iran.html?_r=0

KSA was spreading false rumours about Pakistan involvement from the get go to undermine Pakistan; from false al Arabiya reports (propganda outlet) to displaying Pakistani flag. Poor Royals were so desperate and now they the coalition can't fight out of a paper bag.

This shows Al-Sisi is in this for the billions of dollars. The UAE warned Pakistan, which most likely means cutting financial aid. Nothing is for free, Sisi is being paid and has to return a service.

You talk about Arabs as an ethnicity as if Iran has one ethnicity itself. Several videos show Arab and Turk Iranians support the Decisive Storm. Arabs who don't follow our interests, we don't identify them as part of us, we disown them.

Again, there is nothing to be proud of by financing and arming terror groups to destabilize countries. Any country can do that, but non can take the circumstances except Iran because it's people are subservient to the supreme ruler. There are military war, media war, economic war, diplomatic war and in most of them we won. As for the military one, we are in the process toward victory in Iraq, Syria and Yemen, noting that in the meanwhile Iranian major enemy has been flourishing and getting stronger. Saudi Arabia.

Your friends have financed and armed terror groups to destabilize countries, already proven and confirmed by Gen Dempsey along with John Boehner as well as countless other of officials.

In Iraq there are armed groups allied to Iranian regime, Abadi is only countering this by allying with the US not with the Arabs as he knows the Arabs will sponsor terror turning it into a greater mess, Sunnis whom welcomed the ISIS takeover only activated all the Hezbollahis and made them grow from 1K to 50K+, they shot themselves in the foot in many ways, first IS ruined their life's now Shi'a armed groups are roaming around.

Syria is a mess where Nusra & IS work together from time to time against the remaining FSA groups, US hints for a deal with SAA perhaps without Assad. The outcome depends largely on Russia and the US.

In Yemen large amounts of anti houthi tribes are against Hadi, Hadi's time is finished as they don't want him anymore. He's now residing in Saudi, this already is a clear sign he'd be their puppet if he would come to power in Yemen, people aren't waiting for that. The airstrikes made little advancement for Hadi loyalists, most advancement was for AQAP what remains is sending ground forces but they only are a temporary solution as in 2009. I don't see victory for you in either 3 just a mess, which is the perfect environment for Salafi/Wahibi terrorists to flourish and for Iran to give a helping hand which means Hezbollah.

The new Arab coalition is already proving to be just an add-on to US led operations, neither extended intervention in Syria nor Libya. At most they will join a campaign of airstrikes only with the US leading the coalition as in Syria. Even in Yemen it's a US coordinated campaign, they've provided support and targeting information. Egypt with it's large air force in need of the US leading the air campaign in Libya. How much good does this prove about the new Arab coalition.

Egypt calls on anti-IS coalition to intervene in Libya - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online

Militiamen in Yemen's Aden say two Iranian officers captured| Reuters
Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:21am EDT

(Reuters) - Local militiamen in the southern Yemeni city of Aden said they captured two Iranian military officers advising Houthi rebels, during fighting on Friday evening.

Tehran has strongly denied providing any military support for Houthi fighters, whose advances have drawn Saudi-led air strikes in a campaign dubbed "Decisive Storm."

If confirmed, the presence of two Iranian officers, whom the local militiamen said were from an elite unit of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, would deepen tensions between Tehran and Riyadh, who are vying for influence in the Middle East.

Three sources in the city's anti-Houthi local militias said the Iranians, identified as a colonel and a captain, were seized in two different districts rocked by heavy gun battles.

"The initial investigation revealed that they are from the Quds Force and are working as advisors to the Houthi militia," one of the militia sources told Reuters.

"They have been put in a safe place and we will turn them over to Decisive Storm to deal with them," the source added.

Residents said southern fighters ambushed a convoy of Houthis and allied forces loyal to ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh in a tribal area about 100 km (60 miles) north of their base in Aden, killing 15 of the northerners.

Inside the major port city, clashes erupted between Houthi forces and local militiamen firing rocket-propelled grenades and machineguns. Five Houthis and two local militiamen died, residents said.

Militiamen in Yemen's Aden say two Iranian officers captured| Reuters
Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:21am EDT

(Reuters) - Local militiamen in the southern Yemeni city of Aden said they captured two Iranian military officers advising Houthi rebels, during fighting on Friday evening.

Tehran has strongly denied providing any military support for Houthi fighters, whose advances have drawn Saudi-led air strikes in a campaign dubbed "Decisive Storm."

If confirmed, the presence of two Iranian officers, whom the local militiamen said were from an elite unit of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, would deepen tensions between Tehran and Riyadh, who are vying for influence in the Middle East.

Three sources in the city's anti-Houthi local militias said the Iranians, identified as a colonel and a captain, were seized in two different districts rocked by heavy gun battles.

"The initial investigation revealed that they are from the Quds Force and are working as advisors to the Houthi militia," one of the militia sources told Reuters.

"They have been put in a safe place and we will turn them over to Decisive Storm to deal with them," the source added.

Residents said southern fighters ambushed a convoy of Houthis and allied forces loyal to ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh in a tribal area about 100 km (60 miles) north of their base in Aden, killing 15 of the northerners.

Inside the major port city, clashes erupted between Houthi forces and local militiamen firing rocket-propelled grenades and machineguns. Five Houthis and two local militiamen died, residents said.

If true than Iran too stupid to send their soldiers there...

The outcome. Saudi stooges will be defeated, the remaining ones will join alqaeda.

Alqaeda airforce will continue to assist the alqaeda ground forces. Alqaeda inte men either continues and turns against KSA, or continue to suffer setbacks and eventually turn IS. KSA and evil co will support alqaeda/IS and when it turns against them they realize that the only force which could stop alqaeda is the Yemeni allied forces.

So basically the stooges and idiots got themselves in a conflict without knowing how to end it.

Foreign Ground forces will suffer massive setbacks in Yemen.

for 36 years saudi suffered attacks from iranians in makka madinah and other cities! 1000s have been killed and injured and we did not take one hostile step against them. so i dont know how is this a sign of country "iran" that wants unity!
even the drugs that are coming to saudi is from iran and hizb-alshaytan!
not even israel would dare to send 52kg of C4 explosives to makka during hajj time!
not even israel would dare on spreading poison gas in a tunnel in makka!

and me personally i cant accept someone who calls the prophets wife, the muslims mother sayeda aisha, a whore and a kafir. astagfur Allah
or someone who says the quran is corrupted. and the companions are kafir.
i cant accept someone who give dead ppl god like attributes. and worship them. and write them letters and give them money!
in their official books. books that no shia can reject or deny. say they should kill us sunnies and take our money. and that allah would reward them for such thing.
you dont know what you are talking about. so i suggest you do some homework before giving an opinion on such matters

Iran has evolved much since the Safavid era but they and Saudi Arabia have to climb out of racism and mullah rule. That is my personal view. Hating one another will not make either one of us stronger. It will make both Iran and Saudi Arabia weak. Personally though I have never seen Iranians abusing sunnis the same way as Saudi's (including this post) are abusive to shias despite having a population of them within the Kingdom.

So you are saying the siege of makkah was blatantly supported by Iranian interests? Because I have not heard such a thing because a Saudi man who thought the mahdi had arrived was involved and the said man was a sunni.

Also this hatred between shia and sunni is not getting us anywhere. Lets not fan the flames of hatred.

How do I send a PM to members? @haviZsultan gave me a negative rating for me pointing out the irony and silliness of Rakad talking about making an Iranian suck him off.

Rakad said, "let one iranian bullet come to yemen and il personally shove my big fat willing up your throat"

I replied with, "I didn't know this site was also a homosexual fantasy board. Personally, I wish you the best of luck in reaching your desire of being fellated by a man, but wouldn't geopolitical discussions be more interesting to others here?"

I want to be respectfully be allowed to dispute a negative point for that reply.

Posters like Rakad keep insulting Iranians in most of their posts, and advocating their deaths, and I never engage with them on the same level. In this one instance, I wanted to expose the sillines of immature people who think its cool and manly, for some reason, to advocate their "enemy" giving them a blowjob.

If you look at my current activity on the board, you would be hard pressed for anyone to find racist or sectarian vile attacks on anyone's country or religion.

I'm sorry for talking about my negative point public, but I didn't see a PM option.

Both you and rakan don't know how to debate and that comment and Rakans comment was unworthy and against the forum rules which invokes us not to involve ourselves in personal attacks. if you noticed both comments were deleted and you could have been banned. Also if you see an aggressive post you should report it not drag yourself to the same level. By the way yes. Rakan's posts are very sectarian and often hate filled. But you can do better by ignoring him and reporting the posts.

Iran must understand that Houthis has nothing to do with them and no country will ever support them in the compaign to overthrow a already existing govt.

And you must understand that Iran doesn't arm Houthis and that Pakistan has no business in Yemen. Same as Saudis who are trying to oppress a public uprising against a puppet stooge, but they'll fail miserably in the end.
Pakistan has enough problems, people like you will drag Pakistan even deeper in crisis if they have a chance. Try to secure your own country instead of sending soldiers to random countries.

And here are 'Iran agents' who demonstrated against Saudi aggression in Sana'a yesterday:

451964_542-jpg.213944

And you must understand that Iran doesn't arm Houthis and that Pakistan has no business in Yemen. Same as Saudis who are trying to oppress a public uprising against a puppet stooge, but they'll fail miserably in the end.
Pakistan has enough problems, people like you will drag Pakistan even deeper in crisis if they have a chance. Try to secure your own country instead of sending soldiers to random countries.

when you live in a gulf country where race is such a big issue you try to out "arab" other people

And you must understand that Iran doesn't arm Houthis and that Pakistan has no business in Yemen. Same as Saudis who are trying to oppress a public uprising against a puppet stooge, but they'll fail miserably in the end...

That's cute :woot:.

Back
Top Bottom