What's new

Obsolete weapon programs,aircrafts,helicopters,you would like to be revived

I like the massive dirigibles! These things could easily fly very high, 30,000, 50,000 feet.

Add solar panels or a compact nuclear power plant. And above all, place two huge AESA radars on each side, and now you have a flying machine that can stay airborne indefinitely, see over the horizon, search vast volumes of sky, and track 100+ targets simultaneously.

On top, you add a few PATRIOT missile batteries, and a couple of CIWS (Phalanx) for point defense. It'd be awesome!

It would be awesome and it would very vulnerable.

Though the idea of using ultra ultra long endurance aircraft as detection assets is something I think the US military wants to try.

NASA - Helios Prototype Solar-Powered Aircraft

It would be awesome and it would very vulnerable.

If the awesomeness quotient is high enough, vulnerability wouldn't matter as badly. ;)

Actually, it might be less vulnerable than people think. First of all, an airborne threat has to get inside the PATRIOT radius, and that is going to be tough. And, the attacker must penetrate the CIWS.

If it does get through, it might not even fuse. It'd go right through. Inside the dirigible would be dozens of separate balloonets filled with helium, so the loss of one wouldn't bring it down.

I know it's impractical, but I still want to see it!

I'd like to see the NATF (Navy Advanced Tactical Fighter) :D

Lockheed%27s_proposed_design_concept_for_the_NATF_program.jpg

Naval Advanced Tactical Fighter (NATF) 1990-1991

I always thought of the F-14 as the most awesome and most badass fighter ever :lol:

it was supposed to be the largest tank

Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte

:rofl: man, those Germans were so crazy with their tanks.

They still make one of the best tanks though i.e. Leopard 2.

"Yamato" class Battleships - IJN ( Imperial Japanese Navy )

"....the heaviest and most powerfully armed battleships ever constructed, displacing 72,800 tonnes at full load and armed with nine 46 cm (18.1 inch) main guns."

Bring on the beast ! :)

Gotta respect the Japanese, for they know the way of the Samurai ;)

Northrop Switchblade

NorthropSwitchblade_Swing-wings_InMotion.jpg

Interesting concept .... forward swept wing variable geometry....
The US and the Russians both experimented the forward swept wings with concept demonstrators like the Grumman X-29 and the Su-47 respectively. Forward swept wings do have their advantages in agility at low speeds but they were dropped in favor of thrust vectoring.

In the above aircraft forward swept wings are used for landing, take offs and slow speeds... At high speeds the wind is swept forward to form a delta wing.

The aircraft in the movie Stealth were inspired by this concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
The peddaling Machine Gunner

armed_bikes_1.jpg

The world»s first armed road vehicle was not a lorry, bus, car or even a motorcycle but a pedal cycle. In the 1880s various armed forces were experimenting with units of armed cyclists, these were not as ridiculous as might at first seem to be the case. These troops fulfilled a similar role to that of mounted infantry, fighting on foot but using their mounts for relatively rapid transit to the scene of action. A bicycle has some advantages over a horse when used in this role for it is unnecessary to reserve men to be horse holders whilst their comrades engage the enemy. A mounted infantry unit could loose up to ten percent of its firepower as men were detailed for this task. Nor do cycles need supplies of fodder (a substantial part of the supply train of an army of the period was devoted to carrying food for horses). A cyclist unit does not need to be supported by farriers and vets (although it might need some mechanics). In general most bicycles are more docile than a horse and it is usually quicker to teach a man to ride a bike than a quadruped.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE

a380c79e-03df-4ea7-9808-64ed734c5d24.jpg

I am surprised no one wants to see F-14 Tomcat back in action?

Back
Top Bottom