What's new

National Intelligence Agency (MİT) rescues all 49 Turkish citizens from ISIL!

The simple fact is we will never know what happened 100%. Did MIT not isis kidnap them in the beginning and decide to release them now? Did MIT pay ransom? Did CIA help? All these questions can be asked but in the end what matters is that there are no hostages held by ISIL. Good job for all that were involved.

Imagine if Turkey went the" tough guy" route in the beginning invading iraq and stuff just to show that Turkey has "balls"? They would have all died. This is a valuable lesson for everyone sometimes being aggressive isnt the smartest thing.

We still have reasons to not participate in a coalition led attack on ISIS.
It does not contradict what I said ;) I think you over-reacted ;)
The whole point of hostages is that they force the opponent to do what you want them to. No hostages, no cooperation from the opponent. ISIS has no more hostages, so Turkey has no more reason to do anything they want or demand. That's why it makes no sense to say that ISIS released the hostages in return for an agreement from Turkey to do something after the hostages are released. No hostages, no reason for Turkey to cooperate.
Nothing is for free in this world, my brother! even a toothpaste has a price that you need to pay. let alone releasing those hostages. A tit for tat, that's how the world works.
BTW, ISIS definitely has not released them because of their good will, either.
So, if you think logically, what reasons remains? something or some permission or some promises have been given to ISIS, but they seem not to be able to publicize it, because of the content of their deal.

even if Turkey gave some promises to IS, who the hell cares about those promises when it comes to terrorists. The most important thing is, Turkey now should have more space and options regarding IS. I still hope Turkey doesnt actively join the coalition against IS, since that would bring more mess to Turkey. Just that buffer zone is needed, which itself is already a dangerous task if Turkish soldiers will get stationed there. I hope Turkey can make a temporary loose co-operation with Kurds and support with airstrikes and drone support while Kurds take care of refugee protection and ground work against IS.

Imagine if Turkey went the" tough guy" route in the beginning invading iraq and stuff just to show that Turkey has "balls"? They would have all died. This is a valuable lesson for everyone sometimes being aggressive isnt the smartest thing.
Well, Turkish diplomats were released, but the other side of the coin is that hundreds or thousands of Turkmens died in Iraqi deserts or beheaded as a result of not playing "tough guy".

Well, Turkish diplomats were released, but the other side of the coin is that hundreds or thousands of Turkmens died in Iraqi deserts or beheaded as a result of not playing "tough guy".

The #1 responsibility of the government is the security of its citizens unfortunately Turkmens arn't considered citizens. This is in every country.

Anyway Turkey should have helped them more than usual and maybe now that there arn't any hostages something may be done but I doubt that.

The whole point of hostages is that they force the opponent to do what you want them to. No hostages, no cooperation from the opponent. ISIS has no more hostages, so Turkey has no more reason to do anything they want or demand. That's why it makes no sense to say that ISIS released the hostages in return for an agreement from Turkey to do something after the hostages are released. No hostages, no reason for Turkey to cooperate.

There is always leverage, they can simply threaten Turkey with Terrorism.

It does not contradict what I said ;) I think you over-reacted ;)

Nothing is for free in this world, my brother! even a toothpaste has a price that you need to pay. let alone releasing those hostages. A tit for tat, that's how the world works.
BTW, ISIS definitely has not released them because of their good will, either.
So, if you think logically, what reasons remains? something or some permission or some promises have been given to ISIS, but they seem not to be able to publicize it, because of the content of their deal.
It could have been a legit operation but I dont know what operation means. Does it mean making a deal? :cheesy:

true, i too was of the opinion that those hundreds/thousands of Turkmen should have been actively helped, but if you look at the big picture, actively engaging IS would not only still endanger Turkmen, but also affect Turkey. It's not that easy and was rather an emotional response. Besides, Turkey is no US who can come across the globe, bomb the shit out of people, pack in and return without giving a damn to other parties. Just imagine Turkey entering halfway through Iraq and all the possible pressure from the international and neighboring countries and getting stuck in a clusterfuck of various terrorist groups like IS , other shady groups and shia militias/terrorists sponsored by Iran.

It could have been a legit operation but I dont know what operation means. Does it mean making a deal? :cheesy:

Yup, specially if you notice their words, they said that there has been 5 opportunities to release diplomats before, but ISIS were incompetent and could not release them. It means that negotiations have been done for a long time, and there has been agreements before as well. There has been definitely some deal with ISIS. I am not inherently against having deals with enemies, as long as it does not screw our interests. Anyway, that's a good action for ISIS as well, and repairs their face in some extent in the media, and makes people to hesitate to attack them ;)

true, i too was of the opinion that those hundreds/thousands of Turkmen should have been actively helped, but if you look at the big picture, actively engaging IS would not only still endanger Turkmen, but also affect Turkey. It's not that easy and was rather an emotional response. Besides, Turkey is no US who can come across the globe, bomb the shit out of people, pack in and return without giving a damn to other parties. Just imagine Turkey entering halfway through Iraq and all the possible pressure from the international and neighboring countries and getting stuck in a clusterfuck of various terrorist groups like IS , other shady groups and shia militias/terrorists sponsored by Iran.
I was talking to a guy who works in the tourism industry and he said ever since isis happened business has been bad. No american tourists only cheap european ones. If a war starts than that will exacerbate the problems.

Yeah, I understand it. What Turkiye needed to do, was arming Turkmens to protect themselves, and doing some air strikes if the situation was getting really awful in a region, besides giving warning kurds not to capture kirkuk, and helping turkmens to capture kirkuk instead.

Any casualties from either side in this rescue op?

There is also speculation as to whether there was military action, or a clash regarding the operation, whether there was any cooperation with the intelligence agency of another country, whether a ransom was paid to ISIL, or whether a swap of ISIL prisoners in Turkey occurred.

Here are the first details and answers regarding those questions and the operation itself, according to Turkish intelligence and diplomatic sources who asked not to be named, in addition to statements by Davutoğlu:

* The hostages were “freed” through an intelligence operation where no military action or personnel was involved, other than special operation units who had been put on alert to intervene in case of an emergency. It was planned and executed by MİT’s Exterior Operations Directorate in cooperation with other government agencies like the Foreign Ministry and the military.

* There was no cooperation with the intelligence agency of any other country such as when MİT obtained help from the CIA during the arrest of Abdullah Öcalan, the leader of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), in 1999. Davutoğlu said the Turkish experience in freeing hostages in Afghanistan, Syria and Lebanon – not only Turks but also citizens of other countries like the United States, Britain, France and Spain in years past – without military involvement had helped in freeing the ISIL hostages.

* No ransom was paid to ISIL and no swap was made by Turkey for the release of hostages. One official source said ISIL might have “not wanted to get into a clash with Turkey.” Yet there are indications of a kind of false flag, or deception operation by MİT. In answering such a question one ranking official said MİT “has tried every possible method and left no stone unturned” to get the hostages alive.

* There were at least five opportunities to rescue the hostages, starting from the July 3 release of 32 Turkish truck drivers by ISIL, but they failed each time because ISIL moved the hostages due to escalating clashes in Iraq between the group’s forces and the Iraqi army and Kurds. ISIL moved the hostages eight times during their captivity.

* Despite a request by the government for the hostages to avoid divulging anything about their captivity for the time being, some of the freed hostages said “certainly some [bad] things have happened” in response to reporters’ questions about being tortured or subjected to bad treatment.

* Another freed hostage told CNNTürk that despite being having a gun put to his head, the Turkish Consul General refused to read a video message.

* The moves of the ISIL terrorists while moving the hostages have been traced using electronic intelligence, signal intelligence and through agents in the field. In all eight moves, the hostages were kept in or in the vicinity of Mosul, until the last operation which started “a few days ago,” according to PM Davutoğlu.

* It was ISIL’s condition to give the hostages to Turkey at the border with Syria, “Because of their own security concerns due to their heavy clashes with Kurdish forces. They did not want to make the handover through the Kurdish region,” a security source told HDN.

* There was another last-minute problem on Sept. 19 as the hostages were brought near the Tel Abyad border crossing of Syria, across from Turkey’s border gate of Akçakale at around mid-day. Because of clashes between ISIL and People’s Defense Forces (YPG) under the Democratic Union Party (PYD), a PKK offshoot in Syria, near Kobane, thousands of Kurdish refugees, mostly women and children have rushed to the Turkish border. “In order not to cause further civilian losses if something goes wrong,” a security source explained, Turkey opened the gates first and placed the refugees in camps before accepting the hostages.

*The operation was over by midnight. MİT chief Hakan Fidan informed President Erdoğan and PM Davutoğlu that the hostages were back in the country safe and sound.

A very painful episode in Turkish diplomacy is now over. The details of how ISIL was able to raid the Turkish Consulate in Mosul, whether the incident was avoidable, and who should be responsible, were not allowed to be debated in public to prevent any harm from befalling the hostages. Following their release, it will be easier to have that debate.

What's more, the main reason - though not the only one - for the Turkish government’s reluctance in getting involved in direct military action within the U.S.-led international coalition against ISIL was the hostages. Deputy Prime Minister Yalçın Akdoğan told reporters last week that if there were no hostages, Turkey could say and do more than it has been so far.

But apart from all this, in these first hours after the end of the episode there is a mood of relief across Turkey.

First details emerging of Turkey’s rescue of 49 hostages from ISIL - MIDEAST

If this was done through a military engagement than why was ISIL holding all the hostages in one place :what: Anyways good for the Turks the priority should have been the safety of the citizens and that has been achieved glad for their families

Back
Top Bottom