What's new

Naswar Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're from the village ! I'm talking about the 'so-called' educated elites of our cities who think imitating the American accent & blabbering away in English 24/7 gives them a bigger pool of neurons than the rest of us to draw from. Even my friends in school & college, ethnic Punjabis, couldn't speak more than a few broken sentences in the language. Thats the love for 'our language' for you.

And Urdu is 'our language' there can be no doubt about that ! But lets not forget Punjabi in the process...you honestly tell me how many people do you think can quote Baba Bulleh Shah out there in the streets of Lahore except the ones who've heard a musical rendition of that oft-sung Qafi of his ? I don't think many can.

Agreed. The local languages should never be left in this manner. I don't think Punjabi will be hurt in this manner. only limited people have left it for modernity. But its beauty and usage would never go away

Exactly thats something I deeply...deeply resent about us Punjabis ! We look down upon our own language as if it is a 'lesser' language.

Zarvin & Phoenix babes..itnaa chup chup kiyun ? :what:

I am browsing through multiple threads bro.

The problem with most Pakistani provincial languages & Urdu itself to some degree is their lack of specialized & scientific vocabulary. Pakistanis are destroying Urdu with their own tongues, modern day Urdu is slowly turning in to a dialect of English. Let me give you a simple example; in Urdu, the word for "car" is "garee", but the word for "driver" is some messed up pronunciation that goes like this; "drywur". In Arabic; the word for "car" is "sayyara", whereas the word for driver is "assaiq". You will notice that Arabic words are derived from root words to retain the grammatical structure & purity of the language, whereas; Urdu is turning in to a jumbled up mess.

Naswar ka asar kuch ziyada hi ho gya hai

I have never tried naswar even once bro.

Agreed. The local languages should never be left in this manner. I don't think Punjabi will be hurt in this manner. only limited people have left it for modernity. But its beauty and usage would never go away

Both of my parent's know it...heck my Dad can quote Punjabi Literary works better than almost every ethnic Punjabi hes ever come across but somehow they never thought of passing the language on to us. Weird ! :what:

Right now I'm trying to find out if there is a 'Punjabi Language Academy' here in Lahore where I can find a Punjabi-English dictionary with pronunciations so that I can learn the language better. Come to think of it is there a way to learn Koshur too ? :blink:

Ticker are you related to pathans in some way...? May tu pathan ki definition k doran bolta hi gaya, aisa na ho k may nay aapke offend kard diya ho, advance may sorry.
Me sleeping now, aaj todha formal raha, kal gupshup lagain ge.

Nahin yaar, I don't get offended and you never for a moment offended me in any way.

I am browsing through multiple threads bro.

The problem with most Pakistani provincial languages & Urdu itself to some degree is their lack of specialized & scientific vocabulary. Pakistanis are destroying Urdu with their own tongues, modern day Urdu is slowly turning in to a dialect of English. Let me give you a simple example; in Urdu, the word for "car" is "garee", but the word for "driver" is some messed up pronunciation that goes like this; "drywur". In Arabic; the word for "car" is "sayyara", whereas the word for driver is "assaiq". You will notice that Arabic words are derived from root words to retain the grammatical structure & purity of the language, whereas; Urdu is turning in to a jumbled up mess.

I have never tried naswar even once bro.

Phoenix the Philologist - Why am I not surprised ? :D

Nahin yaar, I don't get offended and you never for a moment offended me in any way.

Yaaraa phir bataa hii do keh Pukhtoonoon mein kidhar seh ho ? Itniii tou goliyaaan larkii ummer pooochneii parr nahin karvaatiii ! :rofl:

Phoenix the Philologist - Why am I not surprised ? :D

Lol! :lol:

Nah, I never studied philology, but I learnt a thing or two about different languages on my own. The locals here are very proud of Arabic because it's the language of the Quran, & they seem to have an interest in discussing if not learning other languages too. The society here combined with other factors like learning about my heritage motivated me to learn some stuff about the classification of languages & their grammar.

Khan apparently because your a Punjabi Pashtun who speaks Urdu as his mother tongue you're not a Pukhtoon anymore ! :undecided:

Thats what we're discussing right now !
Hmmm, really? I thought Pashtun was by blood. If we go by "Pashtun only by language" then that means out of the 30-40- million Pashtuns, only 11-12 million are Pashtun while all rest are not Pashtun anymore?? So then what are they? And what about the non-Pashtuns who speak Pashtu? Do they become Pashtuns?

Funny, because i was watching a American military documentary in which a black female American soldier was conversing with Afghans in fluent Pashto, i'm guessing she automatically became a "Pashtun" :lol:, while us blood Pashtuns who have the misfortune of not speaking Pashto are now categorized as "non-Pashtuns". Did Imran Khan also receive this latest news that he is no longer a Pashtun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom