What's new

Mumbai vs Shanghai: how can India catch up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I learned something new. Your video says that China is responsible for almost ALL global reduction in poverty in the past 25 years. That means India has done very little to reduce poverty.

This is all due to the blood-sucking Kangress traitors. But with Modi-ji in charge, India will quickly surpass China to become a superpower by 2020!

As for pollution, I'm proud to report that India has beaten China comprehensively:

For a breath of fresh air: India harbours the world’s most polluted cities, we can no longer look away - TOI Blogs

India air index: In world's most polluted city, Delhi - BBC News

India, home to the world's most polluted city, launches air quality index

This Indian city has the world's worst air - Apr. 14, 2015

Thirteen of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are Indian - Quartz

most-polluted-cities-in-the-world-pm-2-5-micrograms-per-cubic-meter-_chartbuilder.png

I expect China to dispatch officials to India to learn from India's pollution achievements! All credit goes to Modi-ji's strong leadership.
I have read a WHO report about ambient air pollution some weeks ago and the result shocked me...
I think it's really alarming that air pollution is already very serious in India even before major industrialisation. Mind that China is already undergoing massive industrialisation and urbanisation, and the tempo is already slowing down.

@Echo_419 I have read some related threads here that India is pushing forward more renewable energy. I think China and India should collaborate on this issue, and exchange experiences and expertise. One lesson in China and in all other industrious countries without exception is that all industrilisation comes along with terrible pollution, no matter in Germany, Japan or China. If India escapes this phase in the future, that'll be a marvel.

Ahmadabad ( worlds 3rd largest fastest growing city)

Last edited:
Ahmadabad ( worlds 3rd largest fastest growing city)

Indeed, Ahmedabad is developing very fast. It was only yesterday that Ahmedabad was known for its poverty and slums, but since Modi-ji came to power last year, the city has grown a lot. It will become a major global city by 2020!

Pictures of skylines are meaningless. Unfortunately, catching up would require a far greater level of government control than we are willing to exercise. The current strain on infrastructure and services can only be solved by reducing the city's population - 1) by incentivizing companies and businesses to move to other cities, and 2) restricting the right to live in the city, especially by low skilled and rural migrants, sort of the way china has implemented.

The former would likely not work as most businesses would prefer to stay within a major hub and moving might result in a competitive disadvantage - not to mention that the resulting loss of tax revenue would mean infrastructure development would become even harder.

The second would be politically and logistically unfeasible in India, as it is now.

I do not see any working solution towards catching up with china barring a complete overhaul of the political system.

I do not see any working solution towards catching up with china barring a complete overhaul of the political system.

Why should India abandon its political system? India's success depends on her democratic dividend and demographic dividend. These advantages will quick enable India to surpass China. With Modi-ji's strong leadership, India will definitely outshine even China by 2020.

Why should India abandon its political system? India's success depends on her democratic dividend and demographic dividend. These advantages will quick enable India to surpass China. With Modi-ji's strong leadership, India will definitely outshine even China by 2020.

I know you're trolling, but regardless of your motivation there's a discussion to be had towards people who actually believe what you're saying here.

A reminder that the Santa Cruz - Chembur Link Road, a vitally needed alternative route to the JVLR as a means of crossing east-west within the city, was delayed for over a decade and was described by the IMF or the World bank (i forget which), as one of the world's worst development projects. Even now it's implementation is flawed, instead of being a direct continuous flyover it touches down in Kalina which leads to an unnecessary bottleneck and traffic jams.

This would have happened regardless of whether the government was congress, bjp or shiv sena. Each party works within the political system and either one would have to slog through our system to appease and pay off all the relevant stakeholders/slum dwellers/property owners along the path, fight a million pointless court cases, not to mention pocketing as much money as possible for themselves along the way.

China on the other hand would be able to bulldoze their way through any and all objections. You can view this as good or bad, but the ultimate effect is that China can get its infrastructure done faster - which renders all possibility of mumbai catching up to shanghai moot, even if the political will to see it through existed.

why are you posting slum videos? Do you work in a charity for slums?

No, I'm posting videos of Indian cities. These show the colorful and vibrancy so characteristic of India. In these 'slums' live tomorrow's scientists, doctors, engineers, economists, gurus, leaders, and great thinkers. A large portion of India's demographic dividend reside in the 'slums', which are India's secret advantage over China. Modi-ji will harvest the full potential of Indian 'slums' to transform India into a superpower by 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom