What's new

Modi's initiatives to make Hindi lingua franca

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
PM makes a point about Hindi

As Prime Minister Narendra Modi Friday interacted with students across the nation for over an hour, he made it a point to respond to each question in Hindi, though many of these questions were posed in English from students from non-Hindi speaking regions in the south and northeast of the country.

While students from Imphal in Manipur, Tinsukia in Assam, Leh in Ladakh, Thiruvanamalai in Tamil Nadu and even a few schools in Delhi put their questions to the prime minister in English, Modi invariably responded in Hindi, with a few English words thrown in.

The interactive session between Modi and students across the country was held at Manekshaw Centre in Delhi Cantt. after Modi addressed the students on Teachers' Day.

The message was simple: Hindi is to be the lingua franca of this nationalist government, and not English as before. Even during his recent visit to Japan, Modi conversed and spoke largely in Hindi, responding in English only to elaborate a point.

In his interactions with visiting foreign leaders, Modi prefers Hindi, unlike previous prime ministers who switched to English to converse with foreign leaders. World over, interpreters are always present in conversations between heads of state and government, especially those who are not conversant with English.

Last edited:
PM makes a point about Hindi

As Prime Minister Narendra Modi Friday interacted with students across the nation for over an hour, he made it a point to respond to each question in Hindi, though many of these questions were posed in English from students from non-Hindi speaking regions in the south and northeast of the country.

While students from Imphal in Manipur, Tinsukia in Assam, Leh in Ladakh, Thiruvanamalai in Tamil Nadu and even a few schools in Delhi put their questions to the prime minister in English, Modi invariably responded in Hindi, with a few English words thrown in.

The interactive session between Modi and students across the country was held at Manekshaw Centre in Delhi Cantt. after Modi addressed the students on Teachers' Day.

The message was simple: Hindi is to be the lingua franca of this nationalist government, and not English as before. Even during his recent visit to Japan, Modi conversed and spoke largely in Hindi, responding in English only to elaborate a point.

In his interactions with visiting foreign leaders, Modi prefers Hindi, unlike previous prime ministers who switched to English to converse with foreign leaders. World over, interpreters are always present in conversations between heads of state and government, especially those who are not conversant with English.

Because Modi's English is not good and he is not comfortable. How did you come to your conclusion ?

Indians should learn from Chinese about being passionate to their national language.

Tell that to the tamils and the other dravids who have an aversion to Hindi, and are rather partial to speaking english (how ever goofy it sounds to a native English speaker such as myself).

Whats the big deal???
Hindi should be our preferred language.English language was brought to the subcontinent by the British and was spoken by creme de la creme.
Modi is inspiring the younger generation by speaking hindi because not so long back those who spoke hindi were looked down upon.I am glad he's using it.
Indians should learn from Chinese about being passionate to their national language.
Tum kisko hindi na sikhana...

Tell that to the tamils and the other dravids who have an aversion to Hindi, and are rather partial to speaking english (how ever goofy it sounds to a native English speaker such as myself).
How difficult is it to understand that the south Indian languages are very different from the north Indian languages and ergo the shyness in speaking hindi?
Albeit I have seen good amount of change in the attitude now.The youth of south understand and speak hindi.

They aren't that good in English either. I'm not generalizing, but whenever i hear some Tamil or Andhra guy speaking English, i picture how the Americans got their 'wobbly head' notion about Indian from.

well the other way of looking at it can be that modi is more comfortable with hindi and can express himself better .

They aren't that good in English either. I'm not generalizing, but whenever i hear some Tamil or Andhra guy speaking English, i picture how the Americans got their 'wobbly head' notion about Indian from.

Indians from Gujarat to Punjab have Indian accents as well.

Oh so you think the biharis,UPites and punjabis speak very fluent English???
Dont pull such sweeping statements on south or north Indians.The accent might be the issue but not fluency.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom