What's new

Middle East by percentage of people who have recovered from COVID-19

Aspen

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I took the number of people who recovered from COVID-19 divided by total number of cases to get the percentage.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Iran-72%

Jordan-69%

Iraq-68%

Azerbaijan-58%

Armenia-43%

Bahrain-40%

Israel-32%

Egypt-25%

Pakistan-22%

Kuwait-20%

India-20%

UAE-19%

Lebanon-16%

Oman-16%

Turkey-15%

Palestine-15%

Afghanistan-14%

Syria-14%

Saudi-14%

Qatar-9%

Yemen-0%

m7nxr23opau41.png

I took the number of people who recovered from COVID-19 divided by total number of cases to get the percentage.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Iran-72%

Jordan-69%

Iraq-68%

Azerbaijan-58%

Armenia-43%

Bahrain-40%

Israel-32%

Egypt-25%

Pakistan-22%

Kuwait-20%

India-20%

UAE-19%

Lebanon-16%

Oman-16%

Turkey-15%

Palestine-15%

Afghanistan-14%

Syria-14%

Saudi-14%

Qatar-9%

Yemen-0%

m7nxr23opau41.png

Brother, these are very misleading figures. For one reason, the percentage of recovered cases is directly related to how long the outbreak has lasted.
For example Iran was among the first target of the coronavirus in the world. Due to longer time period, it is natural to have more people recovered, thus the higher percentage.

Brother, these are very misleading figures. For one reason, the percentage of recovered cases is directly related to how long the outbreak has lasted.
For example Iran was among the first target of the coronavirus in the world. Due to longer time period, it is natural to have more people recovered, thus the higher percentage.

I don't think you're right. Look at when the first case happened in each country:

First case in Egypt: Feb 14
First case in Iran: Feb 19
First case in Pak: Feb 26
First case in Saudi: March 2
First case in Turkey: March 11

Difference between first case in Iran and first case in Pakistan is only 1 week. But Iran's recovery rate is 47% higher than Egypt and 50% higher than Pakistan. Egypt had more time to recover than Iran but Egypt still has a worse recovery than Iran. I don't think that Pakistan can recover 50% more by next week. Which means that Iran has a better recovery than both Pakistan and Egypt despite Iran having more cases than both Pakistan and Egypt combined. This means that Iran's medical system is very good even under sanctions.

I don't think you're right. Look at when the first case happened in each country:

First case in Egypt: Feb 14
First case in Iran: Feb 19
First case in Pak: Feb 26
First case in Saudi: March 2
First case in Turkey: March 11

Difference between first case in Iran and first case in Pakistan is only 1 week. But Iran's recovery rate is 47% higher than Egypt and 50% higher than Pakistan. Egypt had more time to recover than Iran but Egypt still has a worse recovery than Iran. I don't think that Pakistan can recover 50% more by next week. Which means that Iran has a better recovery than both Pakistan and Egypt despite Iran having more cases than both Pakistan and Egypt combined. This means that Iran's medical system is very good even under sanctions.

upload_2020-4-22_7-16-26.png

You are entitled to your opinion. But let me guarantee you every nation has their own policies to disclose the figures. If some countries want to earn brownie points to show their "super" performances, they are free to do.
The figures of the COVID-19 are highly skewed and most nations are playing games with these figures.
I live in the UK so, let me just tell you about my own country. First of all it doesn't include the figures of the deaths in the houses, Nursing homes etc. The word is that the figures are under reported in the tune of 4000 to 5000 less for the death.
IF you see the figures for recovery the UK doesn't discloses any figures at all.
Now if you see the recovery figures of the countries where the outbreak happened earlier than most. You will notice that for example Italy and Spain are showing far more active cases than Iran.
If you just give people one week quarantine period and then declare them recovered, it would be misleading.
Subjective statistics are never a good barometer.

View attachment 626026

You are entitled to your opinion. But let me guarantee you every nation has their own policies to disclose the figures. If some countries want to earn brownie points to show their "super" performances, they are free to do.
The figures of the COVID-19 are highly skewed and most nations are playing games with these figures.
I live in the UK so, let me just tell you about my own country. First of all it doesn't include the figures of the deaths in the houses, Nursing homes etc. The word is that the figures are under reported in the tune of 4000 to 5000 less for the death.
IF you see the figures for recovery the UK doesn't discloses any figures at all.
Now if you see the recovery figures of the countries where the outbreak happened earlier than most. You will notice that for example Italy and Spain are showing far more active cases than Iran.
If you just give people one week quarantine period and then declare them recovered, it would be misleading.
Subjective statistics are never a good barometer.

I don’t doubt that numbers could be skewed. But if Iran had more cases than any other country in the region besides Turkey, the fact that their recovery is faster than countries with much less cases is pretty clear evidence that Iran has a robust medical system.

I don’t doubt that numbers could be skewed. But if Iran had more cases than any other country in the region besides Turkey, the fact that their recovery is faster than countries with much less cases is pretty clear evidence that Iran has a robust medical system.

Look mate, you can draw whatever conclusion you want to.
The fact of the matter is that all the nations are playing up with the figures. Just now it was in the BBC news at 10 pm that the death figures were 33% under reported. It is said that around 1000 who died in care homes were not counted in the figures, which has doubled in last one week. That's why we see rapid increase in the death numbers in the UK. They are adjusting the figures, because it is now in news and people are pointing it out.

Similarly, no figures for recovery means that UK health system is not robust enough!!!
Enuf said.

What @crankthatskunk said, plus it depends on criteria for recovery in each respective nation. In the US for example to be considered recovered you have to have passed 30 day mark after testing positive for the virus.

This is a beyond senseless thread that somehow is supposed to make the by far worst hit country in the region (Iran) as some kind of example.

What should matter is the number of casualties, cases, tests conducted and number of deaths and infected per capita.

Take KSA as an example.

200.000 tests have been conducted and the current numbers show 12.772 total cases with only 114 deaths.

Compare that with Iran's total of 85.996 cases and 5.391 deaths (that number is most likely higher given reports) and merely 377.396 conducted tests in total.

Now compare those numbers with the population of each respective country, the date of the first outbreak etc. and do the math yourself and judge which country is doing better or worse.

What @crankthatskunk said, plus it depends on criteria for recovery in each respective nation. In the US for example to be considered recovered you have to have passed 30 day mark after testing positive for the virus.

In KSA the time period is 3-4 weeks as well if I recall correctly. Not sure what criteria other countries are using. In any case, KSA has tackled this pandemic exceptionally well so far.

The real number of total cases is probably 5-10 times higher in each country of the world but since the vast majority of infected people don't have serious symptoms (other than your average harsh case of the flu), the number remains severely underreported. I don't think, so far statistics have not proven me wrong, that the coronavirus is much more severe than your average harsh case of the flu.

I read some time ago that 72.000 citizens in the EU die due to the yearly seasonal flu on average each year to put things into perspective. The problem is that each health care system in each country is unprepared for so many potentially ill patients and that the coronavirus is very contagious. That and the economic, societal etc. impact it has caused for the world.

If the coronavirus (Covid-19) was as deadly as the previous coronavirus (MERS) and AS contagious, the world would be really screwed.

Last edited:
How exactly do these countries define "recovery"? Are some calling it at the point of discharge from hospital? Some at the complete absence of any symptoms? Some at a negative swab test? Unless there's a consistent reference point for "recovery", I don't see how these recovery results are comparable.

recovery in Iran is defined as remission of radiological finding in chest CT-Scan and 2 week being symptom free .
now you guys can discuss it as much as you like

Back
Top Bottom