2011-2012 Defe. Budget.JPG

2012-2013 Defe. Budget.JPG

Summary of Defence Budget 2004-05 till 2012-13.JPG

Sources: Ministry of Finance Government of Pakistan

I would trust world bank's statistics over GoP's. EOD

typical idiotic reply ....

Last edited:
Defence budget
Myth 1: The allocation for defence is the single largest component in our budget. Not true. The single largest allocation in Budget 2013-14 went to the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP). The second largest allocation in Budget 2013-14 went to servicing the national debt. The third largest government expenditure, including off the budget allocations, are the losses at public-sector enterprises (PSEs). Yes, the fourth largest government expenditure goes into defence.

Myth 2: The defence budget eats up a large percentage of the total outlay. Not true. In Budget 2013-14, a total of 15.74 percent of the total outlay was allocated for defence. PSDP and debt servicing were 30 percent each. What that means is that more than 84 percent of all government expenditures are non-defence related.

Myth 3: The defence budget has been increasing at an increasing rate. Not true. In 2001-02, we spent 4.6 percent of our GDP on defence. In 2013-14, twelve years later, our defence spending has gone down to 2.7 percent of GDP.

Myth 4: We end up spending a very high percentage of our GDP on defence. Not true. There are at least four dozen countries that spend a higher percentage of their GDP on defence.

They include: India, Egypt, Sri Lanka, the United States, the United Kingdom, South Korea, France, Eritrea, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Jordan, Liberia, Brunei, Syria, Kuwait, Yemen, Angola, Singapore, Greece, Iran, Bahrain, Djibouti, Morocco, Chile, Lebanon, Russia, Colombia, Zimbabwe, Turkey, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Ethiopia, Namibia, Guinea, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Algeria, Serbia and Montenegro, Armenia, Botswana, Ukraine, Uganda, Ecuador, Bulgaria, Lesotho and Sudan.

Myth 5: The Pakistan Army consumes the bulk of the defence budget. Not true. In the 1970s, the Pakistan Army’s share in the defence budget had shot up to 80 percent. In 2012-13, the Pakistan Army’s share in the defence budget stood at 48 percent.

Now some facts:

Fact 1: The Pakistan Army’s budget as a percentage of our national budget now hovers around eight percent.

Fact 2: Losses incurred at public-sector enterprises can pay for 100 percent of our defence budget.

Fact 3: Pakistan’s armed forces are the sixth largest but our expenses per soldier are the lowest. America spends nearly $400,000 per soldier, India $25,000 and Pakistan $10,000.

Fact 4: Of all the armies in the world, Pak Army has received the highest number of UN medals. Of all the armies in the world, Pak Army is the largest contributor of troops to the UN peacekeeping missions.

Mark Twain once remarked, “Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.”

The writer is a columnist based in Islamabad. Email: farrukh15@hotmail.com Twitter: @saleemfarrukh

Defence budget - Dr Farrukh Saleem

Thanks, I wish every army basher would read this before making fools out of themselves....

lol.. I myself bashed army alot on this...but thank to this article and @Aether I learned the truth :)

This truth?

Even I agreed that the defence budget constitutes second large expense after debt servicing. With the passage of time, the total budget despite seeing massive increase will decrease in terms of total share. As is evident through the history

This truth?
The reason i agree that Defence is the second largest expense is because PSDP is the encyclopaedia of developing programmes we aim to initiate, fund, complete in the fiscal year. It can be anything from building motorways, dam, canal, sewerage, transportation and infrastructure network etc. It should not be treated similar to defence budget as the money is not being spent in one place. PSDP theoretically being the largest expense, I treat it as an investment, others are free to disagree

Out of total 3985 billion rupees
  • 1155 Billion rupees goes to PSDP

Last edited:
Defense spending is the second largest head after debt servicing is a fact, not a conspiracy theory. It is larger than spending on health and education combined, is also a fact, not a conspiracy theory. Attempts to disguise or justify these facts is a failing exercise in dishonesty.

Just another sleight of hand to make the defense spending appear smaller than what it actually is, nothing else.

well, it means you simply havent read what i posted. nor have you bothered to read the official budget documentation or data.........its clearly posted that defense is not the second biggest spending avenue its probably the fourth.( and not larger than health and education combined, i can post data if you want, only greater than both if counted alone)
people usually deny facts by giving counter arguments, you simply deny its existence

noone deny defense expenditure is high when compared to other countries (when compared to region our defence spending is no different)
but its a lie that its the second largest spending, anyone believing this is simply rejecting mathematical facts and figures, its like claiming the world is flat, yes sir there are still alot of people saying that.
in the next few years it will go further down simply because its not on priority list of govt.

Last edited:
The reason i agree that Defence is the second largest expense is because PSDP is the encyclopaedia of developing programmes we aim to initiate, fund, complete in the fiscal year. It can be anything from building motorways, dam, canal, sewerage, transportation and infrastructure network etc. It should not be treated similar to defence budget as the money is not being spent in one place. PSDP theoretically being the largest expense, I treat it as an investment, others are free to disagree

Out of total 3985 billion rupees
  • 1155 Billion rupees goes to PSDP

All that means is that after debt servicing, defense does not take more than 51% of what is left - yet. Think about it for a moment. :D

the mother of all of our problems is low taxation which around 10% of gdp much lower than india and other countries.
plus poor polices resulting in poor macroeconomic indicators..
lower taxation means lower resources to spend in the first place, lets see whether PML n sticks to its promise of spending 4% on education by 2018

All that means is that after debt servicing, defense does not take more than 51% of what is left - yet. Think about it for a moment. :D
If you don't count both foreign and domestic debts. The net budget will fell close to 2465 billion rupees. Even in that case the defence budget will be 25.35%. But as we know it is not the parameter how we calculate the budget. So there is no point of taking it that way.

I don't understand one thing, you are against the Talibaboons and want a full scale war to annihilate them, you are also against the rising defence budget, how are they going to fight when you are not willing to increase the budget.

after 18 amendment 57% govt earning goes to provinces in first place...
the total education spending was poor at 504 billion rupees during 2013-14(vs 636 billion defense) but when combine with health it was larger than defense, much larger
details are
fedral---80 billion
kpk---73
punjab--182
sindh----134
balochistan-35
net total 504 billlion rupees about 1.9% of gdp

health expenditures by public sector was even worse at 1.0% of gdp i.e approx 260 billion rupees..

however my guess is that around 2015-16 education will easily surpass defense.
the reason is 18 amendment giving all resources to the provinces

having said that only a few countries in world spend so little per GDP wise on education

If you don't count both foreign and domestic debts. The net budget will fell close to 2465 billion rupees. Even in that case the defence budget will be 25.35%. But as we know it is not the parameter how we calculate the budget. So there is no point of taking it that way.

I don't understand one thing, you are against the Talibaboons and want a full scale war to annihilate them, you are also against the rising defence budget, how are they going to fight when you are not willing to increase the budget.

I am sure that arrangements can be made to finance a full scale war against the Taliban.

But that is only one aspect of the whole scenario. Once ISAF departs from Afghanistan, we are back to the same situation we were in before with regards to our security paradigm and how to finance it. That remains a basic concern, giving our tanking economy and our abysmal social development.

Where are we going with our plans in the 21st century as global competition for resources gets ever tougher?

Defence budget
Myth 1: The allocation for defence is the single largest component in our budget. Not true. The single largest allocation in Budget 2013-14 went to the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP). The second largest allocation in Budget 2013-14 went to servicing the national debt. The third largest government expenditure, including off the budget allocations, are the losses at public-sector enterprises (PSEs). Yes, the fourth largest government expenditure goes into defence.

Myth 2: The defence budget eats up a large percentage of the total outlay. Not true. In Budget 2013-14, a total of 15.74 percent of the total outlay was allocated for defence. PSDP and debt servicing were 30 percent each. What that means is that more than 84 percent of all government expenditures are non-defence related.

Myth 3: The defence budget has been increasing at an increasing rate. Not true. In 2001-02, we spent 4.6 percent of our GDP on defence. In 2013-14, twelve years later, our defence spending has gone down to 2.7 percent of GDP.

Myth 4: We end up spending a very high percentage of our GDP on defence. Not true. There are at least four dozen countries that spend a higher percentage of their GDP on defence.

They include: India, Egypt, Sri Lanka, the United States, the United Kingdom, South Korea, France, Eritrea, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Jordan, Liberia, Brunei, Syria, Kuwait, Yemen, Angola, Singapore, Greece, Iran, Bahrain, Djibouti, Morocco, Chile, Lebanon, Russia, Colombia, Zimbabwe, Turkey, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Ethiopia, Namibia, Guinea, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Algeria, Serbia and Montenegro, Armenia, Botswana, Ukraine, Uganda, Ecuador, Bulgaria, Lesotho and Sudan.

Myth 5: The Pakistan Army consumes the bulk of the defence budget. Not true. In the 1970s, the Pakistan Army’s share in the defence budget had shot up to 80 percent. In 2012-13, the Pakistan Army’s share in the defence budget stood at 48 percent.

Now some facts:

Fact 1: The Pakistan Army’s budget as a percentage of our national budget now hovers around eight percent.

Fact 2: Losses incurred at public-sector enterprises can pay for 100 percent of our defence budget.

Fact 3: Pakistan’s armed forces are the sixth largest but our expenses per soldier are the lowest. America spends nearly $400,000 per soldier, India $25,000 and Pakistan $10,000.

Fact 4: Of all the armies in the world, Pak Army has received the highest number of UN medals. Of all the armies in the world, Pak Army is the largest contributor of troops to the UN peacekeeping missions.

Mark Twain once remarked, “Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.”

The writer is a columnist based in Islamabad. Email: farrukh15@hotmail.com Twitter: @saleemfarrukh

Defence budget - Dr Farrukh Saleem

So let's see now, even without adding in the military pensions of over Rs 100 billion, the lies spouted by Dr. Farukh Saleem not too long ago are laid bare:

QUOTE: "Defence will get Rs700 billion, debt servicing Rs1,347 billion and subsidies Rs229 billion in 2014-15 ..... The allocation for the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) was envisaged at Rs525 billion." /QUOTE

Defence to get Rs700 bn, debt servicing Rs1.34 trillion - thenews.com.pk

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom