What's new

Defence budget

defence expense stand second in this picture

That is correct. And that is just the direct expense. Military pensions, classified programs and covert operations are on top of that.

After debt servicing and the military, very little money is left for everything else.

yes we spend alot on debt servicing, but alot is covered in taking new loans..thats how most economies work...debt serving is mostly the largest portion of most economies in world.
subsides and companies losses are not shown in budget due to fact that they are covered in non tax govt incomes.
lastly covert opes use to be large chuck but since the civilian govt beefed itself up, it doest count much,i.e doesnt pass more than 10-20 billion rupees, govt simply cant COOK books..i am surprised senior people talking of conspiracy like KIDS.
yes you are right about the pension portion but the pensions only were rated at 30-50 billion on estimates at best.
lastly, regarding rangers and FC they mostly do civilian job but there expensive is also added in defense portion in Pakistan

the article is incorrect in saying that defense is fourth because its more likely to be third by short margin, but we cant say for sure as loss making entities are adjusted with money making institutes like state bank of pakistan the single largest earner
i can post the 2013 data to confirm what i say , rather than posting images from unverified sources.
details are here if some want to confirm it, you cant cook figures when it comes to post budget fiscal expenditures
just to give summary,
the total defense expenditure for 6 months was at 295 billion vs 326 in developmental projects also the total federal pensions was 80 billion rupees the military portion estimates are at best half of this. the covert ops can be covered in non disclosed expenditures that include govt trips to foreign countries as well, thats very little.. even you add all these it will not change the defence spending position at all.

what was actually spent is listed below, people who have time to read and understand can look it up.
as i said no matter what people says , it simply cant COOK books after it spent the money
.| Ministry of Finance | Government of Pakistan |
http://finance.gov.pk/fiscal/July_Dec_2013.pdf

always check your data from real official sources that is what i would advise our senior fellows here rather than posting beautiful images

lastly, its a fact that even this defence expenditure is high, defense spending should be less than education and health, however posting conspiracy theories about defense spending eating up everything is not right.
surprisingly Pakistan has the highest private school educating system percent wise in the region due to poor govt education system , approx 38% people went to private school
s

Last edited:
Economic Survey.JPG

thanking for looking up in the right place..the full minute to minute details are available in detail document.
had the govt had a magical wand to create money for covert ops it would have been beautiful but ti doesnt.
in past the method to get money by defense forces was by getting POST budget money but even they couldnt cook books

thanking for looking up in the right place..the full minute to minute details are available in detail document.
had the govt had a magical wand to create money for covert ops it would have been beautiful but ti doesnt.
in past the method to get money by defense forces was by getting POST budget money but even they couldnt cook books

no magical wand is needed, just looK at Tax Revenue .....

I don't know Why some Indians are so obsessed to lecture us about our defence budget without knowing there own defence exp.
View attachment 27060
okk.. what is your total expenditure and def budget last year???

I don't know Why some Indians are so obsessed to lecture us about our defence budget without knowing there own defence exp.
View attachment 27060

yes we spend alot on debt servicing, but alot is covered in taking new loans..thats how most economies work...debt serving is mostly the largest portion of most economies in world.
subsides and companies losses are not shown in budget due to fact that they are covered in non tax govt incomes.
lastly covert opes use to be large chuck but since the civilian govt beefed itself up, it doest count much,i.e doesnt pass more than 10-20 billion rupees, govt simply cant COOK books..i am surprised senior people talking of conspiracy like KIDS.
yes you are right about the pension portion but the pensions only were rated at 30-50 billion on estimates at best.
lastly, regarding rangers and FC they mostly do civilian job but there expensive is also added in defense portion in Pakistan

the article is incorrect in saying that defense is fourth because its more likely to be third by short margin, but we cant say for sure as loss making entities are adjusted with money making institutes like state bank of pakistan the single largest earner
i can post the 2013 data to confirm what i say , rather than posting images from unverified sources.
details are here if some want to confirm it, you cant cook figures when it comes to post budget fiscal expenditures
just to give summary,
the total defense expenditure for 6 months was at 295 billion vs 326 in developmental projects also the total federal pensions was 80 billion rupees the military portion estimates are at best half of this. the covert ops can be covered in non disclosed expenditures that include govt trips to foreign countries as well, thats very little.. even you add all these it will not change the defence spending position at all.

what was actually spent is listed below, people who have time to read and understand can look it up.
as i said no matter what people says , it simply cant COOK books after it spent the money
.| Ministry of Finance | Government of Pakistan |
http://finance.gov.pk/fiscal/July_Dec_2013.pdf

always check your data from real official sources that is what i would advise our senior fellows here rather than posting beautiful images

lastly, its a fact that even this defence expenditure is high, defense spending should be less than education and health, however posting conspiracy theories about defense spending eating up everything is not right.
surprisingly Pakistan has the highest private school educating system percent wise in the region due to poor govt education system , approx 38% people went to private school
s

Reading helps, first read the article I posted.

and we have defence needs, and there is no comparison between the spending of defence and education/health.

figures r available if you want to discuss post figures state your point clearly ..... I m not going to work things for you ....

Defense spending is the second largest head after debt servicing is a fact, not a conspiracy theory. It is larger than spending on health and education combined, is also a fact, not a conspiracy theory. Attempts to disguise or justify these facts is a failing exercise in dishonesty.

Armed forces pension excluded from defence budget ?

Just another sleight of hand to make the defense spending appear smaller than what it actually is, nothing else.

Fact 4: Of all the armies in the world, Pak Army has received the highest number of UN medals.
Interesting. How about a link from a UN website to back up your claims?

Defence budget
Myth 1: The allocation for defence is the single largest component in our budget. Not true. The single largest allocation in Budget 2013-14 went to the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP). The second largest allocation in Budget 2013-14 went to servicing the national debt. The third largest government expenditure, including off the budget allocations, are the losses at public-sector enterprises (PSEs). Yes, the fourth largest government expenditure goes into defence.

Myth 4: We end up spending a very high percentage of our GDP on defence. Not true. There are at least four dozen countries that spend a higher percentage of their GDP on defence.
They include: India, Egypt, Sri Lanka, the United States, the United Kingdom, South Korea, France, Eritrea, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Jordan, Liberia, Brunei, Syria, Kuwait, Yemen, Angola, Singapore, Greece, Iran, Bahrain, Djibouti, Morocco, Chile, Lebanon, Russia, Colombia, Zimbabwe, Turkey, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Ethiopia, Namibia, Guinea, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Algeria, Serbia and Montenegro, Armenia, Botswana, Ukraine, Uganda, Ecuador, Bulgaria, Lesotho and Sudan.
He wrote in passion of patriotism probably

The debt servicing is the largest component of budget followed by defence. It's not a hidden truth although their are various myths and highly exaggerated figures mentioned by our media. Like General Kiyani himself clarified on various speeches that the defence budget constitutes only 16% of the total budget but various TV anchors still mention 70-80% of the total budget that was only true during the 1965 and 1971 war time.

Myth 4 is also incorrect since India's defence budget despite being the equal size of our total budget is much lower than us in terms of gdp. We discuss this matter on PDF every year when the budget is allocated in both Indian and the Pakistani threads discussing defence budget.

Last edited:
Pak army is the most efficient organization, when Nawaz Sharif requested Musharraf, to uproot corruption and save the country from bankruptcy, army delivered rightly and world economists were suprised.
Later under Musharraf's leadership army delivered an economic revolution, and cope with the one of the largest earth quake in Pakistan history.

However, when comparing the budgets, are we counting in the budget of RAW in Indian defence budget?

He wrote in passion of patriotism probably

The debt servicing is the largest component of budget followed by defence. It's not a hidden truth although their are various myths and highly exaggerated figures mentioned by our media. Like General Kiyani himself clarified on various speeches that the defence budget constitutes only 16% of the total budget but various TV anchors still mention 70-80% of the total budget that was only true during the 1965 and 1971 war time.

Myth 4 is also incorrect since India's defence budget despite being the equal size of our total budget is much lower than us in terms of gdp. We discuss this matter on PDF every year when the budget is allocated in both Indian and the Pakistani threads discussing defence budget.

so is kiyani's figure correct? what is the wholesome figure that does to defence, operational and non operational?

so is kiyani's figure correct? what is the wholesome figure that does to defence, operational and non operational?
The total budget for 2013-14 is 3985 billion rupees
Defence Budget
: 627 billion rupees

627 is 15.73% of 3985. So that's close to 16%

Source: The budget in brief from official government's website: http://finance.gov.pk/budget/Budget_in_Brief_2013_14.pdf

I know VCheng may argue about the pensions of military personnel not being part of the defence budget. So you can add another 132 billion rupees in the total budget if you wish to. The official defence budget remains 627 billion rupees that is 15.73% of the total budget

Last edited:
Defense spending is the second largest head after debt servicing is a fact, not a conspiracy theory. It is larger than spending on health and education combined, is also a fact, not a conspiracy theory. Attempts to disguise or justify these facts is a failing exercise in dishonesty.

Budget.JPG

The total budget for 2013-14 is 3985 billion rupees
Defence Budget
: 627 billion rupees

627 is 15.73% of 3985. So that's close to 16%

Source: The budget in brief from official government's website: http://finance.gov.pk/budget/Budget_in_Brief_2013_14.pdf

I know VCheng may argue about the pensions of military personnel not being part of the defence budget. So you can add another 132 billion rupees in the total budget if you wish to. The official defence budget remains 627 billion rupees that is 15.73% of the total budget

Only pension is not included.
D.Budget Salaries.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom