What's new

Defence budget

The total budget for 2013-14 is 3985 billion rupees
Defence Budget
: 627 billion rupees

627 is 15.73% of 3985. So that's close to 16%

Source: The budget in brief from official government's website: http://finance.gov.pk/budget/Budget_in_Brief_2013_14.pdf

I know VCheng may argue about the pensions of military personnel not being part of the defence budget. So you can add another 132 billion rupees in the total budget if you wish to. The official defence budget remains 627 billion rupees that is 15.73% of the total budget

which is the second biggest chunk? and how do they make up claims like military takes 40%, 60% of the budget?

I don't know Why some Indians are so obsessed to lecture us about our defence budget without knowing there own defence exp.
View attachment 27060

okk.. what is your total expenditure and def budget last year???

okk.. what is your total expenditure and def budget last year???

25qysu8.jpg
[/IMG]

25qysu8.jpg

He wrote in passion of patriotism probably
The debt servicing is the largest component of budget followed by defence. It's not a hidden truth although their are various myths and highly exaggerated figures mentioned by our media. Like General Kiyani himself clarified on various speeches that the defence budget constitutes only 16% of the total budget but various TV anchors still mention 70-80% of the total budget that was only true during the 1965 and 1971 war time.

Passion of "patriotism"? More like intentional dishonesty, a.k.a lying though his teeth.

The total budget for 2013-14 is 3985 billion rupees
Defence Budget
: 627 billion rupees

627 is 15.73% of 3985. So that's close to 16%

Source: The budget in brief from official government's website: http://finance.gov.pk/budget/Budget_in_Brief_2013_14.pdf

I know VCheng may argue about the pensions of military personnel not being part of the defence budget. So you can add another 132 billion rupees in the total budget if you wish to. The official defence budget remains 627 billion rupees that is 15.73% of the total budget

The fact is that the defense budget, accounted for honestly, remains the largest expense after debt servicing, and is unsustainable at the cost of social development.

The fact is that the defense budget, accounted for honestly, remains the largest expense after debt servicing, and is unsustainable at the cost of social development.
Even I agreed that the defence budget constitutes second large expense after debt servicing. With the passage of time, the total budget despite seeing massive increase will decrease in terms of total share. As is evident through the history

Even India had 16% of total budget just few years ago, now it is close to 11-12% I don't remember. We need not to decrease defence budget, just increase in smaller numbers in proportion to growth will do the job

We are not aliens who are having such a budget, like the original post mentioned there are handful of countries having larger budget than us in terms of %. Even Peaceful nations like UK who are hardly to face a war in near future has allocated about 10% of the total budget for defence

Even I agreed that the defence budget constitutes second large expense after debt servicing. With the passage of time, the total budget despite seeing massive increase will decrease in terms of total share. As is evident through the history

Even India had 16% of total budget just few years ago, now it is close to 11-12% I don't remember. We need not to decrease defence budget, just increase in smaller numbers in proportion to growth will do the job

For all my criticisms, let me be clear in stating, that given Pakistan's situation, significant expense on defense is a necessity. However, it must be sustainable and provide for right-sizing given the fact that Pakistan has a credible nuclear deterrent. Right now, ignoring social development is likely going to be a losing game in the long run if present trends continue. That is the real danger. A poorly educated country in ill health is going to implode economically and socially, no matter how strong its military.

For all my criticisms, let me be clear in stating, that given Pakistan's situation, significant expense on defense is a necessity. However, it must be sustainable and provide for right-sizing given the fact that Pakistan has a credible nuclear deterrent. Right now, ignoring social development is likely going to be a losing game in the long run if present trends continue. That is the real danger. A poorly educated country in ill health is going to implode economically and socially, no matter how strong its military.
You are probably hinting towards USSR. They had a really powerful military but could not sustain economically

When you see the overall trend of defence budget, it is falling, I am not too much bothered about it. Despite the fact we read the rising defence budget every year, the % of total allocation is decreased. I know you do not like to see high defence budget of Pakistan, it is understandable but we can't do anything about it right now. The government won't decrease it, period

You are probably hinting towards USSR. They had a really powerful military but could not sustain economically

Not just USSR. Nations that ignore social development over time tend to implode. Many eastern bloc countries are also examples, as well as many banana republics. Which way are we headed?

Not just USSR. Nations that ignore social development over time tend to implode. Many eastern bloc countries are also examples, as well as many banana republics. Which way are we headed?
Such as Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia

Agreed but don't worry as the World Bank said in a press release 2 days ago

“The Government of Pakistan deserves appreciation for stabilizing the economy, initiating reforms in the power sector as well as revenue mobilization and drawing in the private sector for spurring growth”, said Philippe H. Le Houérou, Vice President of World Bank Group’s South Asia Region.“Staying on the structural reform path is important for competitiveness of the economy, which in turn is essential for creating jobs and lifting millions out of poverty in Pakistan.”
I am optimistic
World Bank Group Approves $1 billion for Supporting Economic Reforms in Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom