What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

1629666401938.png

I am well aware of HOBS Missiles. But the post was relevant to the JFT as I don't think it has HOBS right now. TVC has it's place and used correctly, no matter who the opposing jet is, you can always keep it within your HMS or by pointing your nose to it.

I agree with you on India. Here's the latest from them:
Having its place and cost effectiveness are two different things - that being said, the MKI TVC has its disadvantages due to its “hybrid” means of getting 3D TVC going.
A JF-17 pilot that knows energy management along with a good wingman will make that TVC nothing more than dead weight.

Having its place and cost effectiveness are two different things - that being said, the MKI TVC has its disadvantages due to its “hybrid” means of getting 3D TVC going.
A JF-17 pilot that knows energy management along with a good wingman will make that TVC nothing more than dead weight.

I've seen some simulated dog fights and trust me, you don't want to be on the other side of the SU-30 and similarly, the other TVC jets in that category. They can always keep their nose towards the circling aircraft post merge and can easily obtain a lock. In BVR, different story all together as it's the missile that matters.

I've seen some simulated dog fights and trust me, you don't want to be on the other side of the SU-30 and similarly, the other TVC jets in that category. They can always keep their nose towards the circling aircraft post merge and can easily obtain a lock. In BVR, different story all together as it's the missile that matters.
Ive seen them too and trust me, energy management makes a big difference.

Ive seen them too and trust me, energy management makes a big difference.

Ok, we aren't asking them to pull COBRA at all times. They just have to point their nose faster than the other aircraft taking a full turn. F-22 does this too. You can never get rid of it, that's why it had scored over 100 kills with 0 loss. Energy management is only a big issue when a has jet has to go near stall and then try to recover. Slightly using your turn angle for better AOA isn't losing anything because in a Dog fight, you are already slowed down to manage maneuvers.

Last edited:
If JF-17 had TWR of 1.2 & significantly more fuel capacity, I wouldn't have a problem with adding TVC, if & when available. As it is, I see no point in adding TVC that brings its own issues (weight, cost, complexity, added maintenance issues, etc...).

We've already had this discussion years ago & addressed every angle, nook, & cranny. It was done & dusted. The present discussion is perhaps a bit futile?

If JF-17 had TWR of 1.2 & significantly more fuel capacity, I wouldn't have a problem with adding TVC, if & when available. As it is, I see no point in adding TVC that brings its own issues (weight, cost, complexity, added maintenance issues, etc...).

We've already had this discussion years ago & addressed every angle, nook, & cranny. It was done & dusted. The present discussion is perhaps a bit futile?

I don't think this current discussion is useless. I think TVC should become relevant with every new block being built. Regardless, those were my two cents.

Do you really think JF17 to have better kinetic energy than Su30 ? In most situation it is all but an evidence.

I don’t, but my classmate is on vipers approaching 900 hrs.
Another work colleague of mine is ex-USAF with A-10,F-15C and E time. There is a reason why even the 6th gen is likely not to have TVC.

How many years has he been flying?

Do you really think JF17 to have better kinetic energy than Su30 ? In most situation it is all but an evidence.
No, but that is where I state that the Su-30’s TVC is kind of useless too considering the current environment. It’s already a great energy fighter and combined with HOBS will win the one circle against the Jf-17 anyway. Rate fight is a different matter.
How many years has he been flying?
Vipers for the last 5 years - was part of swift retort

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom