What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

bay yar I'm a 46 year old man with deteriorating eye sight and sense of observation (read borderline BUDHAPA)...if you could post a blk 1 picture overlaid on this silhouette to high light the differences, that would be great...much appreciated in advance.

Hi,

If you are not then I think that you need to start jogging—-.

It will make you young, it will give you strenght, it will make you feel good.

uhm, does jogging on xbox sports count? :p:

No it dont.

but i will tell you of two benefits if you can at least jog two miles a days day.

first less chance of flu secondly it increases virility third increases your physical strength

I don't think PAC is going to stop Block-2 production as soon as Block-3s start their production.

That would be impossible. A single production line cannot produce two different products. Block 3 can only be produced when Block 2's production is stopped, the production line is rejigged to produce Block 3, the technicians retrained and qualified on Block 3, and then everything passed through quality control. This was also the reason behind the time delay between the halting of Block 1's production and the start of Block 2's production. To produce them both at the same time we would need to build a brand new production line for Block 3, which obviously isn't happening. This is also the reason why the dreams of China providing us with 50 JF-17 on an emergency basis are just dreams.

Last edited:
That would be impossible. A single production line cannot produce two different products. Block 3 can only be produced when Block 2's production is stopped, the production line is rejigged to produce Block 3, the technicians retrained and qualified on Block 3, and then everything passed through quality control. This was also the reason behind the time delay between the halting of Block 1's production and the start of Block 2's production. To produce them both at the same time we would need to build a brand new production line for Block 3, which obviously isn't happening. This is also the reason why the dreams of China providing us with 50 JF-17 on an emergency basis are just dreams.

well PAC intend to produce JF17B and Blk3 at the same time where JF17B is more closer to Blk 2 than Blk 3

Exactly, there is always a time gap between the phase-out of an old model and the ramp-up of the new one. This ramp-up phase is usually preeceded by the production of certain number of Prototype models. First proto is flown proceeded by second proto and so on until the line smoothens up. Each proto is followed by static and dynamic function tests and quality checks. Only then can the serial production begin. Going with the news, the first proto of Block III might be on the production line with testing to follow.

well PAC intend to produce JF17B and Blk3 at the same time where JF17B is more closer to Blk 2 than Blk 3

That's where sub assemblies come into play. The complete explanation is beyond the scope of this thread but, in short, there is a degree of deviation to which you can design your product and production/assembly line. The JF-17B's that are currently being produced are small batch production aircraft (like the prototypes and the first 8 JF-17A) i.e. they are not being produced on the primary production line and hence also have a very low rate of production. Once Blk 3's production starts the B versions that we will produce will also be according to Blk 3 specifications. If they are not, then something would have gone terribly wrong with our production philosophy.

There is another major point that I did not mention before. When you can readily produce the newer model of anything, would it make sense to still produce the older model in parallel? Defeats the whole purpose of coming up with the new model, destroys efficiency and throws economies of scale out the window.

4 year old model may be made by someone as a hobby
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/jf-17-thunder-wip-4b2fcdcb03b842b1b82651490bcfa400

==================
EDIT:
Even after posting this I am amazed that some members are still taking this as something official/serious and commenting on this as alleged Blk-III ....

it just an unofficial 3D model by some fanboy out of enthusiasm or as a hobby ....

These fan made models and drawings have had a bad habit of being closer to the truth; J-31, J-20, J-10B. Now, whenever another one comes out people get excited. Not saying that this one is as well at all.

Mirages roles can never be fulfilled by F-16

Why?

Like still paying so much money, and the machines are unable to deliver nukes?

To be fair though, with missiles in hand, using aircraft as nuke delivery platforms is pretty obsolete.

Exactly, there is always a time gap between the phase-out of an old model and the ramp-up of the new one. This ramp-up phase is usually preeceded by the production of certain number of Prototype models. First proto is flown proceeded by second proto and so on until the line smoothens up. Each proto is followed by static and dynamic function tests and quality checks. Only then can the serial production begin. Going with the news, the first proto of Block III might be on the production line with testing to follow.

Right on the head.

Last edited:

I don't know how many single seat Block-2s have/will be produced this year but this is what the air chief said of the future productions about Bravos and Block-3s:

2019: Block-2 x8? /Bravo x8
2020: Block-3 x2 / Bravo x14
2021: Block-3 x12 / Bravo x4
2022: Block-3 x12
2023: Block-3 x12
2024: Block-3 x12

An average of only 14 aircraft per year between 2019 - 2024?

I don't know how many single seat Block-2s have/will be produced this year but this is what the air chief said of the future productions about Bravos and Block-3s:

Chief specifically said 8 Dual and 2(?) block 3 will be assembled in 2020 that means block 3 will be A version instead of B. I hope so this is the case.

Possible room for exports adjusted in the whole figure. Definitely someone is onto buying Thunder in numbers.

That's where sub assemblies come into play. The complete explanation is beyond the scope of this thread but, in short, there is a degree of deviation to which you can design your product and production/assembly line. The JF-17B's that are currently being produced are small batch production aircraft (like the prototypes and the first 8 JF-17A) i.e. they are not being produced on the primary production line and hence also have a very low rate of production. Once Blk 3's production starts the B versions that we will produce will also be according to Blk 3 specifications. If they are not, then something would have gone terribly wrong with our production philosophy.

There is another major point that I did not mention before. When you can readily produce the newer model of anything, would it make sense to still produce the older model in parallel? Defeats the whole purpose of coming up with the new model, destroys efficiency and throws economies of scale out the window.

These fan made models and drawings have had a bad habit of being closer to the truth; J-31, J-20, J-10B. Now, whenever another one comes out people get excited. Not saying that this one is as well at all.

Why?

To be fair though, with missiles in hand, using aircraft as nuke delivery platforms is pretty obsolete.

Right on the head.

Hi,

These things just don't happen like that---. There is strategy / game plan behind it to keep the enemy on its toes---.

4 year old model may be made by someone as a hobby
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/jf-17-thunder-wip-4b2fcdcb03b842b1b82651490bcfa400

==================
EDIT:
Even after posting this I am amazed that some members are still taking this as something official/serious and commenting on this as alleged Blk-III ....

it just an unofficial 3D model by some fanboy out of enthusiasm or as a hobby ....

Sir G, to generate such 3D models accurately it is mandatory to have a accurate drawing of the model to be created (Front, Side & Top) usually called 3D CAD or blue print.
The question is from where did he got the 3D CAD? or may be he is more than a enthusiast or fan boy?

Hi,

Fewer changes to the design means that the original JF17 design was a good stable design and just needed a few tweeks here and there---.

Which basically mean an excellent job done by R AVM Latif and his team and the chinese---.

I also believe that the first news brief of JF17 taking out the indian aircraft thru an SD10 is true---. I never believed the changed story---.

It is just like the first confession to a police officer---.

The story changed because pak military wanted to hide something---was it the capability of the SD10.

Sir G, your analysis seems to have a true potential of actually what happened on 27/02 and then how the things twisted to cover-up some very sensitive information (from PAF prospective).

Why?

Right on the head.

There has been news that PAC is constructing new buildings to enhance JF-17 production and a rebuild factory.

As per Azerbaijan news articles they are talking of a JF-17 Block-2+ variant which is a JF-17 Block-2 with the aircooled AESA radar. This radar is a bolt to bolt replacement of existing radar and doesnt have additional power needs. The Block-3 is going to have 4.5gen level sub systems so it will definitely be more expensive. The Block-2+ could potentially be a very successful export aircraft as it would be very affordable. If such a variant exists in production strategy and it seems very logical that PAF can upgrade its Block-1/2 JF-17s to Block-2+ since upgrade to Block-3 won't be possible because of structural factors. for eg although externally almost same, SU-27/30 cant be upgraded to SU-35 because under the skin both are different jets.

For Myanmar order PAC built sub assemblies and sent them to China for final integration, while assembly line in Pakistan kept building PAF jets. So building both Block-2+ and Block-3 at the same time is not far fetched and if orders are large enough PAC can do both jobs as well.

Last edited:
Is it Blick 2B or block 3
Screenshot_20191212-153342_Twitter~2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom