What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

A person like me who isn't all about how to create one chip as such or how it is done but as if I am an operator and can understand its quality per response as well as speed & expected calculating time; I was like Yes, we are on correct course... a bit late or slow having many restrains but still, it sparked towards more in-house solution of critical tech. Where & who fabed, is left in that demo room. :enjoy:

buddy you made my day. Here’s my wish list :D

* FPGA
* DSP
* GP CPU for military application
* Thermal FPA

Most NESCOM projects I had seen at IST
There were few good individual projects rest were given by the defense organisations, which were their problem specific. Actually, till graduation level, no one knows what research is and we don't have research environment, especially in Aerospace as every equipment was expensive. I remember our CSE department was top notch (VC was also communication engineer I think) and yes, we had a lot of funding. All the projects were funded by IST.

Overall we need time. The main issue was faculty. They were simple graduate at my time or retired professors, who already had stopped research years ago and were just teaching. Many of the faculty members were abroad for PhDs. I think many didn't come. Like Sir Asif who did PhD in some Vibration subject. Anyway, he was trapped :cheesy: later :P .
I guess we just need just researchers. Today, software simulation can do everything so not much funding is required and we can do marvels too.

P.S and you nearly our all graduates are either in defense industries, civil services, teaching or abroad for PhD. So I can say IA in 10 years IST will be different.

buddy you made my day. Here’s my wish list :D

* FPGA
* DSP
* GP CPU for military application
* Thermal FPA

In'Sha'ALLAH. I just mentioned about the same because of current atmosphere in thread. Sometimes, it is really disappointing to see that people does not understand situation at hand so also our resources constraint & difficulties we are facing. The past is very harsh and can't deny sabotage by moles among us but now the climate is totally different. In regard to wish list, it is to catch an eye as that black square thingy was supposed to resist the heat like no other day. Fiber Optic connectivity is the main course meal while placed within the web of info. Mazeed sirf khamoshi achi ha. :-)

In'Sha'ALLAH. I just mentioned about the same because of current atmosphere in thread. Sometimes, it is really disappointing to see that people does not understand situation at hand so also our resources constraint & difficulties we are facing. The past is very harsh and can't deny sabotage by moles among us but now the climate is totally different. In regard to wish list, it is to catch an eye as that black square thingy was supposed to resist the heat like no other day. Fiber Optic connectivity is the main course meal while placed within the web of info. Mazeed sirf khamoshi achi ha. :-)
AOA
sir so we can assume safely that our future project azm NGFA have mostly critical avionics are of inhouse develop...
Speaxially as mention about general purpose processor in list and u desciribe its performance it may get its its way in indiginous avionics system .....

AOA
sir so we can assume safely that our future project azm NGFA have mostly critical avionics are of inhouse develop...
Speaxially as mention about general purpose processor in list and u desciribe its performance it may get its its way in indiginous avionics system .....

W. Salam,

First of all No SIR thing rather you can call as Brother.

Secondly, what is in development and how it may reach into so & so platform cannot be defined at all or I must say, no one knows. However, Project AZM will in-fact set our industry & research base most strong and current developments are part of future equipment. NGF/AZM will display our dedication & in-house developments towards fully self-reliance. There is no doubt about that but nothing can be specified for the time being.

There were few good individual projects rest were given by the defense organisations, which were their problem specific. Actually, till graduation level, no one knows what research is and we don't have research environment, especially in Aerospace as every equipment was expensive. I remember our CSE department was top notch (VC was also communication engineer I think) and yes, we had a lot of funding. All the projects were funded by IST.

Overall we need time. The main issue was faculty. They were simple graduate at my time or retired professors, who already had stopped research years ago and were just teaching. Many of the faculty members were abroad for PhDs. I think many didn't come. Like Sir Asif who did PhD in some Vibration subject. Anyway, he was trapped :cheesy: later :P .
I guess we just need just researchers. Today, software simulation can do everything so not much funding is required and we can do marvels too.

P.S and you nearly our all graduates are either in defense industries, civil services, teaching or abroad for PhD. So I can say IA in 10 years IST will be different.

I don't know if you are still following IST (I am) and it has expanded (physically and faculty-wise) A LOT. Unfortunately, a lot of the old-timer faculty is still there. Sir Asif is a welcome exception to most faculty with regards to research. My focus being controls have a special problem with Abdul Waheed (not sure if he was there in your day) but he is a total manipulator/politician/liar with zero knowledge of controls but is probably the head of controls at IST right now. He is DCM in suparco now too (wtf). Even his recent PhD is flakey (it's in car suspension but IST website lists it as aerospace vehicles lol). There are some good researchers (old and young) but mostly are babas whos job is only teaching as you said. IST became too commercial suddenly. Many departments and many undergrads to teach. As things stand right now I would probably choose to go to NUST instead of IST.

@The Eagle sorry for polluting the JF17 Blk3 thread with all this discussion on universities and research. Please move this stuff to a new thread if it is appropriate.

@The Eagle sorry for polluting the JF17 Blk3 thread with all this discussion on universities and research. Please move this stuff to a new thread if it is appropriate.

We will have to keep intact with topic hence, I shared a bit from development which may suggest as whatever being sported by JF-17 Block-III will definitely lead to NGF/AZM tech development & validation. We started with Block-I of Thunder and today we are waiting to welcome Block-III. We are in-fact more concerned for self reliance but on other hand, need to discount the workforce having our own set of problems & hurdles. However, issues aren't permanent and local development is taking effect though, on a bit slower pace but plans are in place and we have started to walk. As @messiach mentioned before that PAC is currently looking at in-house solution for Thunder AESA radar so it is understood that we aren't yet independent in this domain but the same suggests that it is a good start towards self reliance. @khanasifm shared a screen grab from Jane's edition which pretty much explains as what Block-III is going to house and will be a huge leap towards NGF/AZM. Not to forget that PAC has finalized AESA for Block-III, as revealed during DAS-2019 and we can expect Block-III flight in couple of months.

My focus being controls have a special problem with Abdul Waheed (not sure if he was there in your day) but he is a total manipulator/politician/liar with zero knowledge of controls but is probably the head of controls at IST right now. He is DCM in suparco now too (wtf).
We called him Kakar jokingly.. (gen abdul waheed kaakr name similarity). He could only teach Control system 1 (basic/intro).. advance control courses... nah... But Dr Farooq Haydar is their now.. he is good.
https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=47rvsEcAAAAJ&hl=en

We called him Kakar jokingly.. (gen abdul waheed kaakr name similarity). He could only teach Control system 1 (basic/intro).. advance control courses... nah... But Dr Farooq Haydar is their now.. he is good.
https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=47rvsEcAAAAJ&hl=en
Yes Farooq bhai is our hope. Good guy. Regularly in touch with him. Also Abdul Waheed is still Kakarh. Some students submitted assignments to "Sir Abdul Waheed Kakarh" not knowing it wasn't his real name. lol

Thank you for sharing this. Looking at this list made me very happy. There are some very interesting projects in there. I was of the opinion no real research was done in universities and only token projects were given by NESCOM. I stand corrected. NUST seems to be the place to be for research. The faculty advising this research also seems to be quite impressive. Research: Actual research and not just garbage research like "design and construction of quadcopter".

Most NESCOM projects I had seen at IST (@Goenitz in your time too?) were token projects with little application that most students stayed away from. Also after some poor return on R&D investment in universities a lot of funding was stopped. However, this link shows that at some point that trend reversed. I had always hoped IST would be doing all this research but it clearly isn't there yet.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) here's something to counter all my "that guy"s.
NESCOM was still giving us token project at IST until very recently sir, although they have moved away from quad copters. Although there are a couple of some utility under Dr J and Hamdani. Majority are still downright useless or obsolete.

Its is changing rapidly thats for sure. Said faculty members are coming back after Phds and few are tyring to set up their research labs. Although IST has cut funding for all because of budget constraints. We arent getting much.
Which batch were you? I know @JamD was 12 if i am not wrong?

A LOT. Unfortunately, a lot of the old-timer faculty is still there. Sir Asif is a welcome exception to most faculty with regards to research.
Few changes there. Dr Rashid retired(Thank God) I withdrew my structures because of him. Last week there was a change of VC. And a few new additions are really great. Especially Dr Hamdani. However there are some more that need to go urgently. However few of the old are Gems.
I have friends who have Dr Waheed as their supervisor and he is not the head of Controls.
But Dr Farooq Haydar is their now.. he is good
Dr Farooq is great. Studied basic controls under him and am studying SDC. He is setting up a research lab there.

Last edited:
Set bookmark?
Messiach Ma'am been very specific & coding. You will understand as the time goes by and you keep reading.

They are already taking place. Set bookmark Chengdu Fenghuangshan Airport or Qionglai.

That is very encouraging, telling & appreciating. Thank you and in-fact it confirms the deadline was not missed.

Members with opinion that it should have already taken place i.e. flight etc, shall remember that November was set as a month for update in this regard and we have AESA selected means, it was accurate as planned. Speculations such as late or delay must be avoided & lest not downplay the most anticipated/awaited Block-III.

Just heard someone saying that the first prototype will fly with AESA.

PAC is clearly committed to fly PT with complete gadgets and validate the platform at once in single go while testing everything on the same time. That is promising & a huge step especially saving time & hurdle of going back to board again & again.

Back
Top Bottom