What's new

Iraq to buy 12 JF-17 Thunder jets from Pakistan

The UK manufactures parts for the Gripen - so there is a UK veto there. Same with the Korean ( political veto, not industrial unless they want UK eject seats and Meteors AAMs ). Argentinas only options are F16s(cause the USA dont give a crap), Russian and Chinese.

If Argentina has taken a look at Zuhai 2021 they should be see which country (Russia, China) has industry momentum. You are looking to buy a product with a shelf life of 30-40 years from start to finish..

The Mig-35 is an old design that is a dead end as far as mid-life upgrades go and addition of new weapons etc.

China is the only game in town for Argentina.

Not with AUKUS happening, no.

Not with AUKUS happening, no.
I think the UK will be more than happy if Argentina acquires US F-16s. For one it will prevent China from getting a foot hold in South America. Secondly once the acquisition is made UK can always talk the Americans into restricting the add-ons and weapons that come with the F-16s. The number of aircraft delivered now and ordered in the future might also need a nod from the UK. If somewhere down the line Argentina gets any ideas, the UK can always ask the US to sanction the Argentinian air force

With the JF-17 the UK would have no such leverage. In fact it will pave way for the Argentinian air force to acquire advanced Chinese aircraft and associated goodies in the future

Last edited:
It’s not just aim120 t
It’s too expensive and restrictive for them as well mostly supported by LM employees or contractor for major support plus parts

Iraq wont buy any JF-17s. they want a mix of F-16s and Rafale fighters and Bayraktar TB2s from turkey for the air force. and recently they signed a maintenance deal with USA and south Korea to support it's fleet of F-16s and T-50s.

JF-17s deal is only talks and rumors by media, no deal signing or payments were paid for the JF-17s, they didn't even go for modern mig-29s when Russia offered to sell it to them with cheap prices.

Two Points:
1. I hope the PAF has or trains Technical Advisors that can speak Arabic to facilitate these sales and support services. It would make it a lot easier to Liaison with Iraqi Pilots, maintainers, and politicians.

2. I hope the PAF works on an IR version of the SD-10 for the Anti-Drone Mission (Similar to the Mica-IR). Coupled with a JF-17 carrying an IRST pod, it opens up opportunities against stealthier drones that will be developed once those drone makers start seeing their birds shot down.

Iraq wont buy any JF-17s. they want a mix of F-16s and Rafale fighters and Bayraktar TB2s from turkey for the air force. and recently they signed a maintenance deal with USA and south Korea to support it's fleet of F-16s and T-50s.

JF-17s deal is only talks and rumors by media, no deal signing or payments were paid for the JF-17s, they didn't even go for modern mig-29s when Russia offered to sell it to them with cheap prices.
Why Rafale?

The question is why you would think "modern Mig-29s" are better than JF-17 block 3. Especially when Mig-35 is a fraction of Russia's original sales pitch and not even picked up by RuAF https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/35500/why-russias-mig-35-is-starting-to-look-like-a-dead-duck

I'm sure picking up F-16s of used/new variety is probably the most logical move for Iraq, but that may not be something Iraqis go for it they are wary of future relationship with America. I don't see why Iraq needs or could afford something like Rafale.

Even if JF-17 is not the capable fighter jet option, they are sufficient for a lot of countries. There are also reasonable industrial support or other high end military hardware that China could offer as a package deal. For Arab countries, the relationship with Pakistan may have play a role in their decisions.

Two Points:
1. I hope the PAF has or trains Technical Advisors that can speak Arabic to facilitate these sales and support services. It would make it a lot easier to Liaison with Iraqi Pilots, maintainers, and politicians.

2. I hope the PAF works on an IR version of the SD-10 for the Anti-Drone Mission (Similar to the Mica-IR). Coupled with a JF-17 carrying an IRST pod, it opens up opportunities against stealthier drones that will be developed once those drone makers start seeing their birds shot down.

Why waste SD-10 on cheap drones that cost a fraction of its cost? Even PL-5E is overkill.

Why waste SD-10 on cheap drones that cost a fraction of its cost? Even PL-5E is overkill.
Some times there is a need to hit them further out, or detection maybe too late to be engaged with guns or a shorter range missile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom