What's new

Iran’s Parliament approves outlines of strategic action plan to counter sanctions

The draft also includes an additional protocol to allow Iran to withdraw in two months from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, if the parties to the nuclear agreement do not take steps to normalize Iran's banking relations and oil exports.

I am not so sure about the wording here, "to allow" does not appear good enough. There should be a requirement to leave the NPT if those steps are not taken. As the wording is as the moment, it seems the executive branch will have a choice to implement this move or not. I could be wrong.

Other steps to be taken should include, increasing enrichment level, using new enrichment technologies such lasers and a requirement to move all facilities that can be moved underground to hardened, deep underground facilities.

This is just political theater.

Law will never be implemented. They are just trying to put pressure on Biden to return to the god awful deal.

You mean the same god awful deal that Israel and its cronies in the US now try hard to undermine with all kinds of sabotage and assassinations?

Its absolutely hilarious...this line of reasoning. So Iran is facing maximum pressure by those who are putting every effort to undermine the JCPOA. The right response, according to some, is to give the Israeli First camp exactly what they want by tearing apart the agreement that obviously provides strategic benefits to Iran.

Last edited:
You mean the same god afwul deal that Israel and its cronies in the US now try hard to undermine by all kinds of sabotage and assassinations?

There are minds that are driven by this unrealistic notion of a "better deal/alternative" type scenario. They exist on both sides. The American side are deluded by the notion they could attain zero enrichment, no centrifuge etc and on the Iranian side you have those that want Iran to go overtly nuclear and the demand full sanctions relief. They thus derive their conclusions and demands from these counterfactual assumptions. These scenarios are not likely to come to pass. The JCPOA was always the most realistic deal to be made, any further addition to it will cause it to disintegrate.

Morever, like you are noticing, these people seem to be oblivious to the fact that this JCPOA is far in Iran's favour as to compared Israel and Saudis who see Iran as an existential threat. The reasons for this are obvious, from their perspective, it is giving Iran a window to obtain $100s of the billions and a free pathway to industrial scale enrichment. Yes, of course we know the adversaries will try to renegotiate once the JCPOA enters its final moments, but this is why Iran must do what is necessary to reduce the impact of any future Americans sanctions. The good news is, the Americans are overusing their financial muscle as weapons against many nations, including China. It is inevitable that this weapon will become dull at some point.

My personal view is Iran will eventually go overtly nuclear, but this is not the right geopolitical landscape to do so in. To go nuclear at this time will not be in our favour. The real test for the JCPOA will be in the next 4 years and I have little doubt Biden will return to the deal.

Last edited:
My personal view is Iran will eventually go overtly nuclear,
There is a huge problem here, actually the biggest problem. Khamenei said Iran will never make nuclear weapons and even declared a fatwa on it, if i am not mistaken. I guess he will never make himself look like a liar so he will not even try to do that.

Unless Taqqiya is used to reverse the fatwa and build tactical nuclear weapons as deterrence. Perhaps @SalarHaqq can enlighten us here!!?

This is a very confusing issue.

There are minds that are driven by this unrealistic notion of a "better deal/alternative" type scenario. They exist on both sides. The American side are deluded by the notion they could attain zero enrichment, no centrifuge etc and on the Iranian side you have those that want Iran to go overtly nuclear and the demand full sanctions relief. They thus derive their conclusions and demands from these counterfactual assumptions. These scenarios are not likely to come to pass. The JCPOA was always the most realistic deal to be made, any further addition to it will cause it to disintegrate.

Morever, like you are noticing, these people seem to be oblivious to the fact that this JCPOA is far in Iran's favour as to compared its adversaries. The reasons for this are obvious, from their perspective, it is giving Iran a window to obtain $100s of the billions and a free pathway to industrial scale enrichment. Yes, of course we know the adversaries will try to renegotiate once the JCPOA enters its final moments, but this is why Iran must do what is necessary to reduce the impact of any future Americans sanctions. The good news is, the Americans are overusing their financial muscle as weapons against many nations, including China. It is inevitable that this weapon will become dull at some point.

My personal view is Iran will eventually go overtly nuclear, but this is not the right geopolitical landscape to do so in. To go nuclear at this time will not be in our favour.

Exactly.

And this is why the JCPOA serves Iran's strategic interests. Its economic windfall provides Iran the means to beef up its nuclear and military industry to such extent that it will become too strong to break. It will lay down a nuclear path in the medium- to long-term that the Israelis find uncomfortable to deal with.

And this perfectly explains why the Israelis targetted the centrifuge facility at Natanz and Dr. Fakhrizadeh. In addition to undermine future Iran-US diplomacy, they are trying to slow down the aforementioned path by targetting the primary elements behind such expected push.

There is a huge problem here, actually the biggest problem. Khamenei said Iran will never make nuclear weapons and even declared a fatwa on it, if i am not mistaken. I guess he will never make himself look like a liar so he will not even try to do that.

Unless Taqqiya is used to reverse the fatwa and build tactical nuclear weapons as deterrence. Perhaps @SalarHaqq can enlighten us here!!?

It's all smoke and mirrors. We already know Iran had a design for a nuclear warhead as early as the late 90's, this is of course during Khamenei's tenure. If you ask my personal opinion, I have almost no doubt Iran already possesses nuclear weapon systems. The discussion is whether it will go overtly nuclear i.e declare itself a nuclear power.

Regarding this issue of Fatwa, is there any tangible proof of its existence? And if so, what is the exact wording? Does it prohibit the creations of nuclear weapons or merely the use of them in certain context? Keep in mind, the biggest role of nuclear weapons is deterrence, i.e defensive nature. I believe this notion of Iran not pursuing nuclear weapons as much as I believe it will not pursue ICBM's, in other words, I do not believe it for a second.

When it comes to politics and military, make sure you never confuse the truth with constructed perceptions.

You mean the same god awful deal that Israel and its cronies in the US now try hard to undermine with all kinds of sabotage and assassinations?

Its absolutely hilarious...this line of reasoning. So Iran is facing maximum pressure by those who are putting every effort to undermine the JCPOA. The right response, according to some, is to give the Israeli First camp exactly what they want by tearing apart the agreement that obviously provides strategic benefits to Iran.

Selling millions of barrels of oil is a “strategic benefit”? Iran was doing that for 30 years before the so called nuclear deal.

Now naive individuals think a deal where Iran gets to sell a few million barrels of oil a day is a “good deal” and provides “strategic benefits”. Yet it was during JCPOA that toman went from 2500 to 13000!

So no the deal didn’t provide any real tangible benefits to Iran because US backed out on their commitments during Obama admisntration. Long before Trump tore it up

Iran needs broad investments across its sectors not just being able to export some lousy oil.

Do you think Iran should comply immediately or wait until Biden comes to power?

EDIT: I agree with @Philosopher
I think the articles of the resolution are very realistic and Iran has good justifications and reasons for announcing them to the IAEA even if we stay in the NPT. The only tricky part is that if Iran restricts the IAEA inspectors.

20% enrichment: Iran needs 20% enriched uranium for the Tehran Research Reactor which is used to produce medical isotopes for mostly cancer patients in Iran. So, that's the justification. If we want to reach a deal with Biden later, we can always dilute our 20% stockpile or turn it into fuel rods under the inspection of the IAEA.

Arak heavy water reactor: According to the JCPOA, the parties of the JCPOA had to help Iran with the reconstruction of the reactor based on a new design that reduced the plutonium production of the reactor to minuscule amounts. The reconstruction was supposed to be finished in 2 to 3 years. Now that the reactor has not been finished in time, and the US has imposed sanctions targeting any entity that potentially gets involved with the reconstruction of it, Iran can reconstruct it on its own with the old design, citing that the new design is not feasible for it alone.

A new heavy water reactor: The Tehran Research Reactor is reaching the end of its life after 53 years, meaning that Iran will soon have no reactor producing medical isotopes. So, we have a very good justification for building a new reactor to replace the TRR.

Increasing our enrichment capacity to 190,000 SWU: The Bushehr nuclear power plant and the TRR require an enrichment capacity of 190,000 SWU to produce the required amount of 3.5% LEU for them. So, that's the justification. This also justifies switching to more powerful centrifuges, namely IR-2M and IR-6, as well as increasing the production of the uranium metal.

Leaving the Additional Protocol of the NPT: The Additional Protocol is not a part of the NPT and many signatories of the NPT have not signed and ratified it. Iran has mentioned times and times again that it is voluntarily implementing it. So, although this will be interpreted as a serious violation of the NPT by the West, it is not and Iran can still justify its position while remaining a signatory to the NPT.

I personally think this is a very well-thought resolution. All of the steps can be reversed by Iran, if Biden wants to return to the JCPOA and lift all sanctions on Iran. At the same time, Iran has good justifications for all of them under the NPT. Also, implementing these orders will increase Iran's nuclear deterrence and position in upcoming negotiations to a very great extent.

I just remembered that there is also the matter of FATF to consider; even if there is a return to the deal, will that not still be an obstruction to Iran being able to facilitate transactions?
Unless Taqqiya is used to reverse the fatwa and build tactical nuclear weapons as deterrence.
I hoped and suggested the same some weeks ago and I was assured in a response that it's not true so...

I just remembered that there is also the matter of FATF to consider; even if there is a return to the deal, will that not still be an obstruction to Iran being able to facilitate transactions?

I hoped and suggested the same some weeks ago and I was assured in a response that it's not true so...

Exactly!

Even if West removed all sanctions on Iran. They will exclude Iran from the global financial system due to FATF. This has been said by memebers of parliament. Then US and the West will say “hey we took off the sanctions not our problem”.

Sanctions will REMAIN on Iran one way or another. Only a naive fool thinks that Iran will be allowed to have hundreds of billions of dollars flow in and build an even greater war machine.

Sanctions are never coming off. If they do, they will put sanctions on somewhere else indirectly (FATF).

Stop being stupid people

The draft also includes an additional protocol to allow Iran to withdraw in two months from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, if the parties to the nuclear agreement do not take steps to normalize Iran's banking relations and oil exports.

This news; my dear friend, is refreshing to my eyes...Thank you!

Guardian Council approved the draft against the bold opposition of traitor reformist government.
The only change was increasing the one month respite to two months before quitting the additional protocol.
second reactor will be run by defense ministry!

Guardian Council approved the draft against the bold opposition of traitor reformist government.
The only change was increasing the one month respite to two months before quitting the additional protocol.
second reactor will be run by defense ministry!
Does the bill now go to parliament for votes?

Back
Top Bottom