What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

As i wrote nearly 8 years ago at IMF on this APFSDS topic:

"If you accelerate a cow to speeds greater than Mach 25 then you can smash any tank with it."

This means it does not need DU, it needs velocity. And that is the problem with APFSDS. Chemical propellants are limited. Best score is at ~ 2060 m/s for an APFSDS (as far as i know).

And this is why all tank building countries try to ionize materials, mostly aluminum, to use the extrem spread of the developing plasma to accelerate APFSDS to velocities greater 3000 m/s - and more. But the designs of the patended plasmacannons so far are all to mental limited, all in standard tank cannon thinking.

Believe what you want to believe moron.

I am not going to go scour the internet for an article from 2-3 years ago. I have posted on this board for many years with articles and before that on IMF. Yet I have no idea who you are.

You sound like a haroom zade anyway. Another Iranian with a jende for a mother. Believe what you want to believe.

Only a complete moron would be happy with spending money on hundreds of Karrar tanks that can only fire Mango rounds. Good luck penetrating any tank with that.
I’ve already exposed you for the pathetic Liar and kesafat Lajan you are.

What you and your fathers think of mothers is for you alone, don’t extrapolate your family experience here.

As i wrote nearly 8 years ago at IMF on this APFSDS topic:

"If you accelerate a cow to speeds greater than Mach 25 then you can smash any tank with it."

This means it does not need DU, it needs velocity. And that is the problem with APFSDS. Chemical propellants are limited. Best score is at ~ 2060 m/s for an APFSDS (as far as i know).

And this is why all tank building countries try to ionize materials, mostly aluminum, to use the extrem spread of the developing plasma to accelerate APFSDS to velocities greater 3000 m/s - and more. But the designs of the patended plasmacannons so far are all to mental limited, all in standard tank cannon thinking.

Armour penetration is increased by concentrating the force of a shell into as small an area as possible, so the projectiles tend to look like giant darts. The denser the projectile, the harder the impact for a given size. DU is almost twice as dense as lead, making it highly suitable. The other metal used for anti-tank rounds is tungsten, which is also very hard and dense. When a tungsten rod strikes armour, it deforms and mushrooms, making it progressively blunter. Uranium is "pyrophoric": at the point of impact it burns away into vapour, so the projectile stays sharp. When it breaks through, the burning DU turns the inside of a vehicle into an inferno of white-hot gas and sparks.

Either use Tungusten or DU. Difference is clear, DU is naturally incendiary and upon impact it self sharpens itself maintaining its form as it continues burning through the armour and it’s density means it’s impacting at high speed.

The counter to that is why Americans tanks have a layer of DU armour in between steel as the density of DU means that the enemy tank shell has to “eat” much more material before entering the cabin. Most shells can only penetrate X amount of material and depending on the direction (front hit, side hit, etc) will also determine lethality.

Right now Iranian tanks are simply not lethal. While a ground war is not on the horizon, if you are going to spend money to upgrade your tanks then might as well upgrade the armament as well. They are better off firing anti-tank missiles than using the Mango shells. The Karrar cannon also suffers from range compared to Western tanks. Spending all this money on making the Karrar is great, but If it’s still firing archaic rounds what’s the point.

DU shells are nothing new, Soviet Union had them. US has been using them since 90’s. In Iraq, the areas that had contamination were subjected to thousands possibly tens of thousands of shells.

As to your claim of “plasma cannons” and “flying tanks” you mentioned earlier, that is a bit of a stretch for Iran considering it’s border guards are still driving around in Toyota pick ups. I would expect China and US with high military budgets to experiment with those projects way before Iran gets in that field.

Armour penetration is increased by concentrating the force of a shell into as small an area as possible, so the projectiles tend to look like giant darts. The denser the projectile, the harder the impact for a given size. DU is almost twice as dense as lead, making it highly suitable. The other metal used for anti-tank rounds is tungsten, which is also very hard and dense. When a tungsten rod strikes armour, it deforms and mushrooms, making it progressively blunter. Uranium is "pyrophoric": at the point of impact it burns away into vapour, so the projectile stays sharp. When it breaks through, the burning DU turns the inside of a vehicle into an inferno of white-hot gas and sparks.

Either use Tungusten or DU. Difference is clear, DU is naturally incendiary and upon impact it self sharpens itself maintaining its form as it continues burning through the armour and it’s density means it’s impacting at high speed.

The counter to that is why Americans tanks have a layer of DU armour in between steel as the density of DU means that the enemy tank shell has to “eat” much more material before entering the cabin. Most shells can only penetrate X amount of material and depending on the direction (front hit, side hit, etc) will also determine lethality.

Right now Iranian tanks are simply not lethal. While a ground war is not on the horizon, if you are going to spend money to upgrade your tanks then might as well upgrade the armament as well. They are better off firing anti-tank missiles than using the Mango shells. The Karrar cannon also suffers from range compared to Western tanks. Spending all this money on making the Karrar is great, but If it’s still firing archaic rounds what’s the point.

DU shells are nothing new, Soviet Union had them. US has been using them since 90’s. In Iraq, the areas that had contamination were subjected to thousands possibly tens of thousands of shells.

As to your claim of “plasma cannons” and “flying tanks” you mentioned earlier, that is a bit of a stretch for Iran considering it’s border guards are still driving around in Toyota pick ups. I would expect China and US with high military budgets to experiment with those projects way before Iran gets in that field.

Yes to all. While Wolframcarbid is a litle bit harder, depleted uranium has a higher density. The higher density brings more impact force at same speed compared to Wolframcarbid. That is equalized by the higher speed of the APFSDS fired by the L/55 of the Leo2. In our case the Force of the impact of the APFSDS on an armour of a tank is

a) the kinetic energy needed to bring the APFSDS to the end speed
(holy cow! Thats wrong! total mixed up. It was 3 o'clock in the morning )

a) the final speed of the APFSDS on impact time

multiplicated with

b) the mass of the APFSDS on impact time.

Then this impact force have to be braked down to the amount of area where it hits. So the sharpener the APFSDS, the higher the impact force at contacted surface. The Armour of the tank resist the force cause of its density and its hardness (and today a lot of other things). So the way you can go is either higher density or higher speed.

When it comes to plasmacannon for APFSDS, I found some solutions for it. The first solution i found was: You can reach high megajoule and high muzzle velocity if you use a empty cone as combustion chamber, one side with radius great as the inner radius of the gun, the tip with a very very tiny hole/tunnel into the cc. Through this tiny hole a ultra violet laser beam into the cc. The cc is filled with normal air. The laser do not need much power but need the right frequency for to kick out the electrons from the oxygen atoms of the air in the cc to have lot more free electrons. Also into the cc you bring in electrodes in a way that a spark between the electrodes would go through the most of the region the beam of the laser pervade the air inside the cc. The electrodes will spark-over electrisity due to high voltage at one of the electrodes and the free electrons in the air in the cc (take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law). The uv laser with the right frequenzy bring additional free electrons into the cc. The effect is that the needed voltage for the spark-gap between the electrodes can be lower or the spark-gap can be larger (what will make ionization of the air in the cc faster). The produced spark-over will ionize the air in the cc into plasma. Due to the cc is a cone, all pressure of the hot plasma will be directed and/or redirected into the gun and so directly to the APFSDS. Me think Iran can build that easily. The only problem would be to build it that way that also normal caseless rounds can be used. Maybe this can be resolved by the laser.

Last edited:
That large scope on the bolt action sniper rifle, should be a ballistic calculator that combines TI sight, laser range finder and ballistic computer.
In that way, less trained marksman can do targeting alone and accurately.

A improved automatic mortar could also be seen. Probably no need for firing crew, just reloading. Hope that magazine size was greatly expanded for shoot and scoot capability.
https://21stcenturyasianarmsrace.co...nian-sniper-rifle-has-never-been-seen-before/

Salaries in the Iranian Army

I found salary data in the Qajar army in the British archives (about 80% were recruited from the Turks) during the Nasiraddin Shah Qajar and during the Qajar revolution in the 1910s. It became interesting for me to compare these data with the salaries in the modern Iranian army. Can anyone write the average and highest salary (individually) for the ranks in the Iranian army?

Berets are still so dumb.
One more thing to blame the french for I guess.:sarcastic:
Happy%2Bpanzertruppen.JPG

Still it could be worse,it could look like the old wehrmacht panzer beret.:jester:

The Chieftains in this exercise are running on V-84 engines. You can tell from the plume of smoke emanating from the rear left side of the tank and not the rear of the tank like with the original L-60 engine.
Well spotted!.:enjoy:

If you look at the original Ukrainian source, it says about repairing 5-10 old T-80BV tanks a month, not production..
https://uprom.info/news/vpk/harkivs...0-tankiv-na-misyacz-dlya-ukrayinskoyi-armiyi/
That makes more sense.I think that the only new tanks that the ukranians built recently were the 49 oplot-m for the thai army,and that took 7 years.`m pretty sure that the rest of the stuff they produced was just refurbed soviet era t-80s.I saw an old arms catalogue from the mid teens and it was literally just old soviet weapons or bad photoshops of frankensteined systems made up of other bits of soviet hardware,hell they were even offering an225s for sale[lol!]
Frankly it was hard to take it seriously.

I add:
when they had to build new tanks for Thailand, for 49 tanks they failed to meet the delivery deadlines, ordered in 2011, they were all to be delivered in 2015, instead the last deliveries were made in 2018.
Probably for this, the Thais subsequently bought Chinese tanks.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom