What's new

India's First indigenous aircraft carrier to be launched this December.

Isn't the reactor supposed to go live in Jan/Feb. Read that report and was surprised there wasn't too much of shoosha around it--a big aci=hievement IMO

I think so they are testing it with the reactor not sure though

Fair enough. I have reconsidered my position on the Indian Navy.

First off, India does have shipyards that can handle medium-sized carriers. That is a good start.

India has experience operating a carrier. The carrier itself may be obsolete but it is a start for IN.

India is able to purchase Aegis from USA for Project 17A. That is crucial to be able to form a CVBG. Otherwise a carrier is useless if you can't protect it. It took China about 10 years to go from rudimentary AA warships like Type 051B to more advanced ones like Type 054A to an Aegis-equivalent like the forthcoming Type 052D. By purchasing, India is able to jump ahead by 10 years. That is impressive.

The IN is in good shape, at least in surface ships. It may be able to form its first modern CVBG (with medium-sized carrier) by 2015-2020. Even during that timeframe, I think China will still be learning the ropes of carrier operation with the Varyag and then with the next 2 indigenous carriers (Varyag-class, conventional propulsion), together with Type 052D destroyer.

India is able to purchase Aegis from USA for Project 17A. That is crucial to be able to form a CVBG. Otherwise a carrier is useless if you can't protect it.

These carriers will be very well protected. Though IN has been recieving presentations on Aegis, I do not think that they are in any mood to go for it.

For AN/SPY-1, we have the israeli MF-STAR (better)

For SM2, we have Barak8/NG/ MRSAM (better)

For MK 99 Fire Control System, WCS, the Command and Decision Suite-

we have The Combat Management System (CMS-17) currently on INS Shivalik with advanced version in development for future combatants.

The weapon-sensor fit of the Shivalik is controlled through a Combat Management System called ‘CMS-17’, designed and developed by the Indian Navy and manufactured by Bharat Electronics (Ghaziabad). The system allows the seamless integration of the ship’s systems as well as with the weapons and sensors of other Fleet ships, thus enabling the concept of ‘Co-operative Engagement Capability’ (CES).

So, as of now we are well on the way of having our own Aegis soon.

Last edited:
The Israeli equipment is medium-range only (~50 km). It cannot really compare to the Aegis, which is a true area air defense system. You can also go for the Russian equipment like S-300FM (naval version), those are more suitable for a carrier but Russian equipment is obsolete in this area.

USA will definitely have a lot of strings attached if they sell the Aegis. They will definitely have some secret code that shuts everything down if one day India uses the Aegis against USA or its ally (like Pakistan).

This may sound out of the topic but there were some news that india may even purchase a british aircraft carrier whic was being built for the british navy

1.The Israeli equipment is medium-range only (~50 km). It cannot really compare to the Aegis, which is a true area air defense system. You can also go for the Russian equipment like S-300FM (naval version), those are more suitable for a carrier but Russian equipment is obsolete in this area.

2. USA will definitely have a lot of strings attached if they sell the Aegis. They will definitely have some secret code that shuts everything down if one day India uses the Aegis against USA or its ally (like Pakistan).

1. The limiting factor here is the range of the missile and not that of the radar.

Barak8/NG has a range of 70km which is quite good.
There is a project (Indo israeli JV) for a SAM with double the range i.e. 120-140 km (LRSAM, though primary recipient is IAF)

Apart from that there are also rumors of ship based versions of PAD and AAD in the development.

So, lot of options in that area for the IN.

2. American hardware always comes with strings attached!

The Israeli equipment is medium-range only (~50 km). It cannot really compare to the Aegis, which is a true area air defense system. You can also go for the Russian equipment like S-300FM (naval version), those are more suitable for a carrier but Russian equipment is obsolete in this area.

USA will definitely have a lot of strings attached if they sell the Aegis. They will definitely have some secret code that shuts everything down if one day India uses the Aegis against USA or its ally (like Pakistan).

Don't worry india will not buy aegis..

To all:-
I fell IN is far most advanced and disciplined and focuses on indeginization...when compared to IA and IAF
Navy potent weapons are:-
1)Brahmos 1 and 2
2)AC
3)P8i
4)Shivalik destroyer...
5)Barak NG

I don't think Indian Navy is serious about pursuing Queen Elizabeth class super carriers. When we can build why should we buy? Navy is surely moving in the right direction with regards to designing and building your own.

Last edited:
I don't think Indian Navy is serious about pursuing Queen Elizabeth class super carriers. When we can build why should we buy? Navy is surely moving in the right direction with regards to designing and building your own.
agree:yahoo:

What is the name of this Indigenous Aircraft Carrier?

I thought 4 carriers are planned?

What is the name of this Indigenous Aircraft Carrier?

I thought 4 carriers are planned?

INS Vikrant (IAC I)
INS Vishal (IAC II)

No three carriers are planned in this class with INS Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov) being the fourth carrier.

Last edited:
The body structure of IAC has been build and 1st level of wiring is going on... we can see around 200 electrician are working on it daily, however we cannot go inside the area and its properly camouflaged now.

Still lots of work is left... we can see massive holes in ship, I think lots things still need to integrated in it.

Will post pics later.

Don't worry india will not buy aegis..

To all:-
I fell IN is far most advanced and disciplined and focuses on indeginization...when compared to IA and IAF
Navy potent weapons are:-
1)Brahmos 1 and 2
2)AC
3)P8i
4)Shivalik destroyer...
5)Barak NG
Ephasis on indegenization acttually started because of limited budgets in comparison to other forces. It later became a philosophy as they began to realize it's strategic advantage. IN is not in a great shape right now, especially the sub and carrier arms but the long and painful work they put into the process over the deaces will put them in a decent position by 2020 and probably an adequate position by 2025.

Ephasis on indegenization acttually started because of limited budgets in comparison to other forces. It later became a philosophy as they began to realize it's strategic advantage. IN is not in a great shape right now, especially the sub and carrier arms but the long and painful work they put into the process over the deaces will put them in a decent position by 2020 and probably an adequate position by 2025.

Adding to that the Navy really did not have to worry about the delays that come from indigenous projects because they really had no competition whatsoever in the last 2 or 3 decades from any one in this region except the USN.

This was a luxury the Army and AF could not afford since they were always concerned with the Chinese and the Pakistanis in North-East and West respectively.

Back
Top Bottom