What's new

Indian Small Arms Inventory Developed by DRDO ARDE & OFB

seems they stopped producing the AK clone after russian objection...

No, that was old news when Kalashnikov was alive. "Ghatak" is currently in production.

based on market reputation and lack of ingenuity, I wouldn't buy any of these.

You couldnt buy most of these even if your wanted.

DRDO needs to be shut down or be limited to only develop strategic missiles. For god's sake let private companies run the show. They will have 10x of PSU's productivity and 50x their quality.

No, that was old news when Kalashnikov was alive. "Ghatak" is currently in production.

You couldnt buy most of these even if your wanted.

cant find anything on their website??

P.S: If you were producing em... there wouldnt have been news of russians establishing an AK factory in india.

cant find anything on their website??

P.S: If you were producing em... there wouldnt have been news of russians establishing an AK factory in india.

First of all, what do you expect from their websites?

This is old news.

KOLKATA: Rifle Factory, Ishapore, one of the oldest ordnance factories in the country, has successfully designed an assault rifle on the lines of the AK-47.

Sources in the Ordnance Factory Board said the prototype of this weapon had successfully cleared field trials by the Army, the Indian Air Force and the Sashastra Seema Bal.

The Ishapore factory will soon start production of 50,000 units of this rifle in the first phase.

For over a decade now, the Ordnance Factory Board has been attempting to develop an indigenous assault rifle on the lines of the AK-47. Initially, there was some embarrassment after an ordnance factory displayed an indigenous replica of the AK-47 at a defence expo in Delhi. This didn't go unnoticed and Mikhail Kalashnikov, the inventor of the world's most sold and used assault rifle that goes by his name, threatened to file a copyright violation suit against the Indian ordnance factory.

"Since then, our designers have been attempting to develop an assault rifle, using the AK-47 as a model but without replicating any of its mechanism. Three ordnance factories tried to develop their own variants. These were Rifle Factory of Ishapore, the Small Arms Factory of Kanpur and the Ordnance Factory of Tiruchirapalli. The Ishapore factory has a long history of developing and making rifles. During the World Wars, this factory produced .303 bolt-action rifles for the Allied forces. After the 1962 Sino-India conflict, the factory developed and built the 7.62mm self-loading semi-automatic rifle. This rifle was called the Ishapore Rifle and it went on to become the mainstay for the Indian security forces for several decades. In the 90's, the factory started manufacturing the 5.56mm Insas rifles that are still the primary personal weapon of the Indian infantryman," an official said.

The three factories at Ishapore, Kanpur and Tiruchirapalli built prototypes that underwent tests for the first time earlier this year. Minor defects were detected in all three variants. While the one developed by the Ishapore factory was declared fit in all other aspects, it failed to operate successfully in mud. An assault rifle has to be effective in all conditions, even when fired from under slush.

"This defect was rectified subsequently and when the final round of tests was conducted, the Ishapore variant was declared the best. This is an improved version of any assault rifle and the designers borrowed several facets from the 5.56mm Insas, which was also developed at Ishapore, while making this rifle. With the Insas going out of production, facilities at the Ishapore factory were lying idle. The new order will sustain the factory for the times to come," the official added.

Ishapore factory develops Indian variant of AK-47 - The Times of India

Also Indian police will most likely order this as well.

As part of its modernization drive, the Punjab police are now set to dismantle more than 6,000 old weapons as their spare parts are no longer available or the weapon itself is no longer manufactured. These arms include 668 sten guns and 2,910 .38 bore revolvers, both of which are close-quarter combat (CQB) weapons.

Besides, 2,000 musket rifles that were used in revolts in India including 1857 will also be retired. These rifles are known for their signature style of single shot firing and would load only one muzzle, known as barood, at a time. These had obviously not been used for years.

The state police have now sent a proposal to the Union home ministry to acquire assault rifles Ghatak and Excalibur, both of which were recently designed by Defence Research Development Organisation at Pune. Punjab will become the first state in the country to acquire these weapons that were displayed for the first time in May this year at Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) in Kolkata.

While Ghatak, with a 7.62mm size of ammunition, is an advanced version of an AK-47 rifle, the Excalibur is an improved version of the common INSAS rifle and fires 5.56mm ammunition.

"I had personally gone to Ishapore to train in the new weaponry. They will be a cheaper alternative to the Russian AK-47s and AK-56s. This will help us save on import costs," said Rakesh Chandra, Punjab police inspector general (commando), Bahadurgarh, which houses reserve ammunition.

Punjab cops turn Ghatak, set to dump WW-II guns - The Times of India

jr3sX5P.jpg

You mean a competent: rifle system, shotgun system, pdw, dmr, handgun, bolt action system??think again.

You cant buy most of these guns in this thread, even if you wanted to, what are you saying?

You cant buy most of these guns in this thread, even if you wanted to, what are you saying?
Do you understand the crux of the matter when I say I wouldn't buy any of these systems?
What that means is if a civilian variant of these were ever offered in US i wouldn't buy it based on it's reputation.

Do you understand the crux of the matter when I say I wouldn't buy any of these systems?
What that means is if a civilian variant of these were ever offered in US i wouldn't buy it based on it's reputation.

I see. Werent you the one that said as soon as the INSAS some how enters the civilian market, you would buy it?

I see. Werent you the one that said as soon as the INSAS some how enters the civilian market, you would buy it?
Insas maybe, but not an akm varint, the shotgun, the 5.56 x 30 mm version pdw, or the shotgun showed in one of the images... neither the MCIWS unless they make a bull pup...

The only reason I would get a Insas is to test it and/or saiga 5.56 alternative.

Last edited:
Rifle Factory, Ishapore, one of the oldest ordnance factories in the country, has successfully designed an assault rifle on the lines of the AK-47.

Are you serious?

A rifle that has been already cloned by every country on earth is now being mass produced in India and that counts as an achievement for OFB?

Are you serious?

A rifle that has been already cloned by every country on earth is now being mass produced in India and that counts as an achievement for OFB?

Agreed anyways with the advent of Pvt participation in Def sector this will slowly change

I know. Take a look at this from them.

dsc02666ha.jpg

A product of absolute monopoly.

However, certain DRDO labs arent doing bad. In terms of small arms, this MCIWS and the up coming LMG could prove that.

What in the name of everything holy is that filthy abomination called chakra rath and why does it say BMP? Please tell me it is not designed by DRDO to be BMP-2 replacement.

Why are DRDO employees so dumb and stupid? Is there even an academic criteria requirement or is any beggar given the job? There are quite a few losers from DRDO in this forum as well. Now instead of wasting time and public money surfing the net those losers can serve the country better by investing their valuable time of research and development.

What in the name of everything holy is that filthy abomination called chakra rath and why does it say BMP? Please tell me it is not designed by DRDO to be BMP-2 replacement.

Why are DRDO employees so dumb and stupid? Is there even an academic criteria requirement or is any beggar given the job? There are quite a few losers from DRDO in this forum as well. Now instead of wasting time and public money surfing the net those losers can serve the country better by investing their valuable time of research and development.

Chacha OFB hai won DRDO ko free mein galiyaa na nikalo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom