What's new

India v Pakistan at Birmingham, Jun 4, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2017-6-4_16-24-41.png

West Indies would have been a better team to play against. India-Pakistan is the most boring cricket match one can see since we already know the result. You can be a weak skills team but you should never be a weaker spirited team. Pakistan may or may not have skills but they definitely do not have any fight left in them at all. Their fight is over as soon as they see India as the opposing team they need to play.

Sad to see such decay in what was once a formidable team.

I take blame for Wahab’s selection, says Mickey Arthur
8254dc1afbdb929875b1e6ae3ff13a10

ByShahid Hashmi
Posted on June 5, 2017
mickey1.jpg

BIRMINGHAM: A dejected Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur took the blame for selecting paceman Wahab Riaz in his team’s 124-run defeat against India at Edgbaston, saying he thought the left armer would prove a match winner.

Riaz, surprisingly preferred over Junaid Khan, went for 87 runs in his 8.4 overs with 11 boundaries and two sixes as India piled up a big 319-3 in the rain reduced 48-over match.

Rohit Sharma led the way with 91 while Virat Kohli made 87 not out, Shikhar Dhawan 68 and Yuvraj Singh a brisk 29-ball 53. Umesh Yadav then took 3-30 to restrict Pakistan to 164.

Arthur defended the selection while denying Riaz was not fully fit.

“Riaz gave us pace. Junaid Khan, Hasan Ali, Amir — all there and thereabouts in terms of their pace. We wanted someone who could give us a different option. And that’s why we went that way,” said the coach.

“Riaz was fully fit. He went through a fitness test; he was declared fully fit. So it’s not that Riaz was fully fit. He was fit for the game. Okay? He performed poorly today. But he had a role to play.

“And I’ll take the blame, me, I’ll take it. I selected him. I selected him because I wanted him to perform a role. Okay? He didn’t execute that role, unfortunately. So sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn’t.

“We picked Shadab ahead of Fahim today. That worked well. I thought Shadab was understanding. So, sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Arthur admitted India were playing at different level.

“I think one team played really well today or played as well as they could have, and we were below par. As simple as that. And it’s a reality check of where we are in our One-Day cricket at the moment.”

Arthur believed Pakistan didn’t do the basics right.

“The worrying thing for me, and it has been for a period of time, is we just do the basics wrong. We do the simple things wrong. We dropped simple catches. We don’t run well enough between wickets.

“We don’t hit the keeper with our throws. We don’t understand when to bowl our variations. We bowled a really good over and then we bowled a variation our sixth ball and that’s the ball that ended up going for a boundary. So it’s the simplicity of those things that are worrying me at the moment and our understanding of when to do certain things. So that was disappointing. But we’ll bounce back from it.”

“That’s a total insult to say we’re playing even worse. If you have a look at our records over the last year we’ve won two series. We’ve got ourselves from nine to number eight and brand of cricket has changed. We had a poor game today and we’re obviously trying our best and we’re trying to change it. And it’s not going to happen overnight.

“I’m, I said, I’m particularly disappointed, but to ask me that question is an insult to how hard these boys have trained and what those boys have done.”

Arthur promised Pakistan will bounce back in their second game, also at Edgbaston on Wednesday.

“It’s up to me and my coaching staff to find out why we didn’t execute. Was it — why were we so tentative? That’s more the issues for me at the moment. So, yeah, it’s disappointing, but we’ll go back to the drawing boards and we’ll hopefully come back a lot stronger.”

Arthur blamed dropped catches and final five overs for defeat.

“That’s our own fault because we had two opportunities. Hasan Ali dropped Yuvraj (on eight) and Fahim Ashraf dropped Virat Kohli (on 43). You take those catches, it’s a different game.”

“I thought at one stage we bowled well enough to be chasing 270. If things went our way and we hung onto those two catches and then knocked out another guy early on, or got Dhoni early on, it would have given us a real opportunity of knocking them over for 270 or chasing 270 possibly.”

This thread was more entertaining than the match itself lol.

Anyways good thumping by India. Loose delivery still has to be smashed out of the grounds ;)

India needs to get its fielding back to scratch to beat the better teams. Very sloppy.

poorselection.png

Instead of this , half and half approach we could have fieled a blanced bowling attack
5 quickies knowing you are playing in England

A Traditional 4 quickies and 1 strike bowler best in spin department nationally
  • Mohammad Amir (Strike Bowler)
  • Ruman Raeez
  • Sohail Khan
  • Tabish Khan or Junaid Khan or Mohammad Sami
  • Yasir Shah (Strike Bowler)

• Good ODI bowler gives odd 20-35 runs in 10 Overs while picking up wickets folks who can't maintain that figure need to be dropped seriously

We don't have shortage of bowlers but Management seems to think the team needs part time bowlers for 10 overs and that is rediculous idea , it may work in the T20 game but in ODI you get exposed

BOWLINGPAKISTAN.png

The quality difference in bowling is quite obvious, compare Amir's fiture vs Amir Sohail's (part timer's figures) and you can see overall all the bowlers were below par

Anything over 30 runs allowed by bowler is questionable if they DON'T TAKE WICKETS

• If Pakistani bowler are allowing 87 and 77 runs that is just rediculously bad bowling

Last edited:
are you blind ? I included all ICC tournaments including world cups, t20 and champion trophy
I do really understand pakistan players cannot withstand pressure of big tournament.
But do you still believe this shitty team will give some competition in bilateral series.

Saw the match and was very disappointed. The match did not live up to the Ind-Pak bout and did not have the great India vs Pakistan rivalry feel at all. Pakistani batting just gave up after damaad ji got out. I have seen Ind-Pak matches since 1970s and Pakistan even at its worst times had one of the best pace attacks. Unfortunately that sting is totally missing. Pakistan needs to heavily introspect and wish they come back strong.

Well I looked at our stats for 2016 and PSL 2016/207 League and it is quite clear who were the inform performing Batsmen

View attachment 401495

It is not that difficult to pin point your best inform Players by using statistical Tools
  • Kamran Akmal
  • Umar Akmal
  • Salman Butt (44 , 4's in domestic League)
  • Shahzid Hasan
  • Afridi (Officially retired player)

We choose Hafiz ?
Who scored inning of 0's and 2's and sub 10 runs on most accounts

View attachment 401497

If Wahab Riaz is tired or needs rest give him time to so he can work on his bowling theer are other bowlers

Mohammad Amir was Ranked #11 in PSL

Pakistani Team's problems are associated with ignoring the "PERFORMING players" and always opting for brand name players

HELP ME FIND MOHAMMAD HAFIZ ON THIS LIST !!!!!

The problem it seems is neglect of talent who is performing players with high strike rate and high run ratio

You highlight great points but don't drag Indians into this. Indians wish and like to have a great rival in Pakistan.

A poor showing by Pakistani team does not augur well for the future of Cricket as a sport where hardly a dozen countries play.

Poor Performance in the history of Pakistan Cricket. From PCB to Selection Community, everyone and everything is highly politicized. Najam Setthi has no self respect and shame. He must resign from his seat. His appointment was challenged in the Court twice. He has zero experience and knowledge about the cricket where as our legends/Heros are still looking for a job in PCB to serve and professionally help Pakistani team but they don't have any place unfortunately.

Players getting fame, glamor, advertisements and heavy salaries for just to play a cricket match for Pakistan and look you see what they did every time. Huge numbers of Pakistanis across the world like Indians travel to see Indo-Pak match and they always gonna end up with such embarrassment. Such a disgrace for the supporters of a team who never ever win any single BIG MATCH of the ICC against the revival in past 3 decades. Such a shame.....

Last edited:
Saw the match and was very disappointed. The match did not live up to the Ind-Pak bout and did not have the great India vs Pakistan rivalry feel at all. Pakistani batting just gave up after damaad ji got out. I have seen Ind-Pak matches since 1970s and Pakistan even at its worst times had one of the best pace attacks. Unfortunately that sting is totally missing. Pakistan needs to heavily introspect and wish they come back strong.

You highlight great points but don't drag Indians into this. Indians wish and like to have a great rival in Pakistan.

A poor showing by Pakistani team does not augur well for the future of Cricket as a sport where hardly a dozen countries play.

I believe due to heavy international politics involved in cricket and after depriving Pakistan of hosting international cricket, most people are rapidly losing interest in this game in Pakistan. Some blame goes to the management who repeatedly play the failed players such as wahab. Batsman like hafeez who are very annoying to watch due to their super slow game are some weapons that guarantees Pakistan's defeat for sure.

Now everyone will be saying this and that selection was not right, which is easy to say after a team has lost. I think other than Wahab Riaz, no other selection was wrong, as this is the available talent the team has. I was never really confident about Babar despite the hype around him and i was expecting Azhar to perform with the pressure of captaincy no longer on him, that is what happened. I think Sharjeel is a big loss for Pak as he could have smashed the balls all around the ground to bring the run rate down.

I would say Pak needs to play with most of the current lot(especially the youngsters) to give them more experience and exposure and build them instead of punishing them for not performing.

I believe due to heavy international politics involved in cricket and after depriving Pakistan of hosting international cricket, most people are rapidly losing interest in this game in Pakistan. Some blame goes to the management who repeatedly play the failed players such as wahab. Batsman like hafeez who are very annoying to watch due to their super slow game are some weapons that guarantees Pakistan's defeat for sure.

I would like to see India & Pakistan play at neutral avenues if not in respective countries.

Even in India the game has lost viewers during certain periods but it came back after steps were taken to arrest the fall.

Pakistan's administration needs to taken steps that would bring back the viewers to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom