What's new

India and Bangladesh fight over 4,000 sq km of sea

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
India and Bangladesh fight over 4,000 sq km of sea

NEW DELHI: The final legal battle between India and Bangladesh over 4,000 square kilometres of the Bay of Bengal, holding out huge potential for fishing, shipping and underwater resources, will begin from December 9 at The Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration.

India's strategy has been chalked out by the ministry of external affairs in consultation with other ministries and the arguments before the International Arbitral Tribunal will be opened by attorney general G E Vahanvati, who will be assisted by attorneys from abroad as well as a team from home.

Bangladesh has proposed the 'angle bisector' method for delimitation of the maritime boundary, but India is pitching for the traditional and internationally recognized 'equidistance' principle to resolve the dispute.

India will point out to the tribunal that it had successfully implemented 'equidistance' principle to settle maritime boundary disputes with other neighbouring countries. Bangladesh's argument is that due to coastal instability and concavity of its coastline, the equidistance line would put it at a severe disadvantage.

Bangladesh had challenged the baselines drawn by India using the equidistance principle and claimed before the tribunal that these were not in conformity with Article 7 of the United Nations Convention on Law of Sea (UNCLOS).

The tribunal is chaired by Dr Rudiger Wolfrom (Germany) and the other members are Judge Jean-Pierre Cot (France), Prof Ivan Shearer (Australia), Judge Thomas Mensah (Ghana, nominated by Bangladesh) and Dr P Sreenivasa Rao (nominated by India).

India will be represented by the AG, senior advocate R K P Shankardass, advocate Devadatt Kamat, Prof Alain Pellet (University of Paris), Prof W Michael Reisman ( Yale University) and SirMichael Wood (UK).

The nearly 4,000 sq km of Bay of Bengal, which is at the centre of the longstanding dispute which started at the international forum with Bangladesh submitting its written arguments on May 31, 2011, encompasses all maritime zones — territorial sea, exclusive economic zone, continental shelf and outer continental shelf.

If Bangladesh's method of determining the maritime boundary is accepted by the international forum, India will lose control over around 2,905 sq km in the EEZ and 1,018 sq km in the outer continental shelf.

It will be a do-or-die legal battle as the decision of the International Arbitral Tribunal will be final and binding on the parties.

Link - India and Bangladesh fight over 4,000 sq km of sea - The Times of India

Whateva! This piece of sea wont save their blooming population even if they win it. Even if they lose, nothing to worry.
I highly doubt that this area is strategic.

Whateva! This piece of sea wont save their blooming population even if they win it. Even if they lose, nothing to worry.
I highly doubt that this area is strategic.
The area has fishing & mineral resources
We must win this :nhl_checking:

Any map of areas claimed by both countries?

LOL. Line cannot be drawn on Water. I doubt if fishermen of either country will bother where that line is.

they lost against Mayanmar,they'll lost against India.

Any map of areas claimed by both countries?

IndiaandMyanmarsmaritimeborderclaim.jpg

India Orange,Mayanmar Yellow....

27zzmap.jpg

Judgment in Bangladesh-Myanmar Maritime Boundary Dispute | International Law Observer | A blog dedicated to reports, commentary and the discussion of topical issues of international law

in previous dispute,they favored the "Equidistance Circumstances Method",the one India did....

Last edited:
Sometimes I get a feeling that China is right on these issues :china:

:sniper: Congress and UPA

Whatever the tribunal decides we should stick with it , though i have a feeling we will win , like myanmar did .

It is not India's fault that bangladesh has concave coastline .

The area has fishing & mineral resources
We must win this :nhl_checking:

The area in question is too small. Even if minerals are found, we know the bereaucracy in both countries, and it will take decades to develop it.
Secondly the mineral resources cannot supply anything big time to India nor BD. The point is, even if we lose the arbitration, there is nothing strategic about it . Guess we would be winning anyway. The gainers will be fishermens and their livelihood. :)

And another surprise is the absense of "Interesting " Bangladeshis in this thread :what: (If u know what I mean ) :P

The area in question is too small. Even if minerals are found, we know the bereaucracy in both countries, and it will take decades to develop it.
Secondly the mineral resources cannot supply anything big time to India nor BD. The point is, even if we lose the arbitration, there is nothing strategic about it . Guess we would be winning anyway. The gainers will be fishermens and their livelihood. :)

And another surprise is the absense of "Interesting " Bangladeshis in this thread :what: (If u know what I mean ) :P

Looks like they are busy in making conspiracy theories on how RAW,MOSSAD,CIA,RUPPA UNDERWEAR are destroying BD :partay:

What was the exact ruling in the case b/w Bangladesh and Myanmar ?

Back
Top Bottom