What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
943096_10151571059127230_1341846951_n.jpg

Google doodle for Satyajit Ray's birthday. :-)

Hmm...is it true that Abul Kalam Azad fled to Pakistan? News reports suggest that he fled there via India.

Though, Awamis running to India are relatively more numerous, and under the consent and knowledge of the relevant Indian authorities. Typically the low ranking ones. The high ranks flee to Western countries.

Abul Kalam Azad could have fled to Pakistan but he isn't a Jamati.

In Bangla Ghor means room. Ghoti people use Ghor as Bari or Basha too. For example, we say "Basahi jachsi", I've seen Ghoti people saying it as "Ghor e jachsi".

Bari and Basha have a bit difference not so big. Bari in most cases means permanent house whereas Basha could be both permanent or rented house. I tried to depict use of these words not any bookish knowledge.

Thanks mate!!

I care about Bangali not Indian, and if i am not mistaken its not a crime. Bangali's in India are like lost lambs, we need to guide them back and in the process also get the land back ;).

Really? I thought we went for Pakistan precisely because we were disgusted with treatment of Hindu Zamindars, now you want to join them? What makes you think they will trust you now or any time in the future, if they did not trust you in 1947?

Instead what is happening is that Indian strategists use Bengali Hindu's in India and Bangladesh as their pawns, leveraging the common culture and language, in their effort to make and keep Bangladesh as a vassal state, using their proxies in various political parties.

Really? I thought we went for Pakistan precisely because we were disgusted with treatment of Hindu Zamindars, now you want to join them? What makes you think they will trust you now or any time in the future, if they did not trust you in 1947?

Instead what is happening is that Indian strategists use Bengali Hindu's in India and Bangladesh as their pawns, leveraging the common culture and language, in their effort to make and keep Bangladesh as a vassal state, using their proxies in various political parties.

Indian Bengali celebrities come to Bangladesh and talk about brotherhood and friendship of epar-opar. Indian media never ever mention what these guys have said in BD, but Awami media, with an enthusiasm, very elaborately write of these big-heartedness of dadas.

Indian Bengal is a disputed territory, since partition.

After 1971, India further pushed its boundaries into Bangladesh.

Just curiousity: disputed by whom?

Indian Bengal is a disputed territory, since partition.

After 1971, India further pushed its boundaries into Bangladesh.

More curiousity: are you an Indian Bengali?

Every other chief minister tries to arm twist the center to give them more money. What's new in it. What has Didis tomfoolery got to do with the fact that calcutta gdp is third after Mumbai and ncr? I know it could have been much more but it's not that we couldn't sustain without central economic help.

Don't knw whch gdp you are talkin abt bhai and in which world you spend your days probbly watchin Channl 10-Kolkata Tv and reading Jago Bangla-Pratidin.... The state is in a bad shape aftr 34yrs of left rule and it can't even pay its govt employees now... On top of that we have this lunatic of a CM wasting precious money on gobor-ghute utsav and her boby-madan bhais helping in the running of chit funds by selling Mamata's paintings for crores of rupees!

I was born and bred in Dhaka. I have never been to India. I know that a huge number of Bengali people live in India. I am curious about How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh & Bangladeshi?

I was born and bred in the US but my parents are both Hindu Bengalis of Kolkata-area lineage. I had many Bangladeshi (Muslim, all) friends in college and continue to be close to some of them today.

But I suspect it's not my opinion you're interested in. I'll tell you a few things I've heard from Kolkata-area Bengalis I'm related to. Some is good, some is not so good.

My father always told me that if Bangla culture is to survive, it will be because of Bangladesh and not West Bengal. He was contemptuous of the way West Bengal has been overrun by Hindi-speaking migrants. It is a fair statement that today, Kolkata is no longer a Bengali city but an Indian city (much in the way Mumbai is no longer a Marathi city or Delhi a Punjabi city). One can see that as a positive or one can see that as a negative. My father saw it as a negative and praised Bangladesh for having the chutzpah to break away from the Punjabi elite that ran (and runs) Pakistan.

A cousin brother of mine who lives in Kolkata today is of a very different opinion. He doesn't even consider Bangladeshis "Bangali". Ora to Bangali noe! Ora Bangladeshi. Bangladesh'e kono Bangla culture bole aar kichu nei.

Knowing what I know about Bangladesh, I know he is wrong but I have heard variants of that idea from others as well. It is not uncommon.

And then there are those who are obsessed with the migrants. Frankly, there is no way for anyone to tell (outside of examining a birth certificate) whether a person is a Bangali Muslim from Murshidabad or Jessore. Sure, you can listen to the accents and throw out a "best guess" but that's all it is. A guess.

My opinion. Bangladesh is awesome, Bangladeshis are awesome. I just hope you guys are successful in staying secular and democratic and don't let the religious right take over. It's a battle being waged in the United States (which I consider my home) as well and in the country of my parents, India.

Don't knw whch gdp you are talkin abt bhai and in which world you spend your days probbly watchin Channl 10-Kolkata Tv and reading Jago Bangla-Pratidin.... The state is in a bad shape aftr 34yrs of left rule and it can't even pay its govt employees now... On top of that we have this lunatic of a CM wasting precious money on gobor-ghute utsav and her boby-madan bhais helping in the running of chit funds by selling Mamata's paintings for crores of rupees!
Buddy I was quoting the figure from goi sources, I don't watch TV. I don't dispute any of your claim that mamata is a megalomaniac lunatic and communism in bengals context is a nihilistic failed ideology which corrupted and destroyed every other institutions in bengal. However still kolkata is a big port city where many industry still remain, albeit mostly service oriented. So it contributes a lot to gdp.

In fact west bengal has higher gdp than gujrat, however our power capita income is much less.

I was born and bred in the US but my parents are both Hindu Bengalis of Kolkata-area lineage. I had many Bangladeshi (Muslim, all) friends in college and continue to be close to some of them today.

But I suspect it's not my opinion you're interested in. I'll tell you a few things I've heard from Kolkata-area Bengalis I'm related to. Some is good, some is not so good.

My father always told me that if Bangla culture is to survive, it will be because of Bangladesh and not West Bengal. He was contemptuous of the way West Bengal has been overrun by Hindi-speaking migrants. It is a fair statement that today, Kolkata is no longer a Bengali city but an Indian city (much in the way Mumbai is no longer a Marathi city or Delhi a Punjabi city). One can see that as a positive or one can see that as a negative. My father saw it as a negative and praised Bangladesh for having the chutzpah to break away from the Punjabi elite that ran (and runs) Pakistan.

A cousin brother of mine who lives in Kolkata today is of a very different opinion. He doesn't even consider Bangladeshis "Bangali". Ora to Bangali noe! Ora Bangladeshi. Bangladesh'e kono Bangla culture bole aar kichu nei.

Knowing what I know about Bangladesh, I know he is wrong but I have heard variants of that idea from others as well. It is not uncommon.

And then there are those who are obsessed with the migrants. Frankly, there is no way for anyone to tell (outside of examining a birth certificate) whether a person is a Bangali Muslim from Murshidabad or Jessore. Sure, you can listen to the accents and throw out a "best guess" but that's all it is. A guess.

My opinion. Bangladesh is awesome, Bangladeshis are awesome. I just hope you guys are successful in staying secular and democratic and don't let the religious right take over. It's a battle being waged in the United States (which I consider my home) as well and in the country of my parents, India.
Calcutta is a cosmopolitan but it's very much a bengali city, yeah migrants are there but migrants don't define a city rather the popular culture does. It's true most people of calcutta are bilingual and most hindi speaking migrants pick up bengali, albeit with a heavy accent. Sometimes you would see the bengali is trying hard to converse in hindi while the hindi speaker putting all his effort to reply in pidgin bengali.

The thing is neither are we overwhelmed by hindi speaker, nor does hindi cause any danger to bengali. Mainly because we have a functioning movie industry, excellent literature base and very good bengali music industry.

As far as Bangladeshis are concerned I think it's a diverse country with different types of people, some sneer at the idea of bengali identity some wear it like a badge of honour and go overboard. It's not wise to generalise.

Watch the movie "The Bong Connection"... Hope you'll like it! The Bengali culture is held in high esteem even outside WB,throughout India,we are aatels or intellectuals as they call it,I'v been to JNU,one of the most ellite and prestigious universities in Delhi and of India,and Bengali words like "kaaje faaki deoa" are quite popular there,though they don't even know the meaning...:ashamed: Being a Bengali in a group of intellectuals,anywhere in India,will automatically place you in a superior or ellite position,among the others.... Its us Bengalees,who,as sometimes said,is in our nature,to criticise ourselves,and lack of appreaciation for our achievements and potentials and culture.... Nijeder kei nijera gaal deoa...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom