What's new

HISTORY OF MALABAR :DISCUSSIONS.

so what???..its quite natural..every castes have their own unique style...just look that Tamil vellalar women..her earring style are also bit different from Nair style..

So nothing. Stop being so touchy :disagree:

Being a mallu myself I can give some indicators to identify typical Keralites..
1. Mallu ladies almost always hv curly or thick black hair.
2. Their hair would be smeared in a kilo of coconut oil.
3. Men usually have thick mustache bending downwards.
4. They would shake their head left to right, if they agree with ur point. (dont mistake it for a NO)
5. Almost all families have got their relatives in Gelf..
6. Those who cant afford to go abroad, work in Delhee..
7. Give them regular dose of Tapioca and fish n they can do anything for you!

Being a mallu myself I can give some indicators to identify typical Keralites..
1. Mallu ladies almost always hv curly or thick black hair.
2. Their hair would be smeared in a kilo of coconut oil.
3. Men usually have thick mustache bending downwards.
4. They would shake their head left to right, if they agree with ur point. (dont mistake it for a NO)
5. Almost all families have got their relatives in Gelf..
6. Those who cant afford to go abroad, work in Delhee..
7. Give them regular dose of Tapioca and fish n they can do anything for you!

Post is reported.
This is not a thread for identification parade.
Historical facts with links would appreciated.

@sreekumar Why r u so touchy? You could have simply told me to quote facts. Reporting my post for such a little thing!

nope..So tribal characters were there in Nairs,Christians and Muslims also??...possibility of intermixing??

Actually it seems I was wrong about the earlier picture. They do appear to be triabals and not Nair.

Here is a different picture by the same artist made at the same time and it is called Malabar vagrants who make snakes dance.

81psuQda-PL._SL1500_.jpg

More pictures of 1680 by dutch diplomat Johan Nieuhof.

Drawings of the port of Quilon,

Quilon_by_Johan_Nieuhof.jpg

Images of Tuticorin (Tuthukudi) harbor city,

nieuhof1682.jpg

Images of pearl fishing on Tuticorin coast,

pearlfishing.jpg

vanderaa1725.jpg

@sreekumar Why r u so touchy? You could have simply told me to quote facts. Reporting my post for such a little thing!

There is no touchy about it.That single post of yours can derailing this entire thread.And cause eventual blocking of this debatable thread.
I saw a lot of stuff like that in here .

Actually it seems I was wrong about the earlier picture. They do appear to be triabals and not Nair.

Here is a different picture by the same artist made at the same time and it is called Malabar vagrants who make snakes dance.

81psuQda-PL._SL1500_.jpg

More pictures of 1680 by dutch diplomat Johan Nieuhof.

Drawings of the port of Quilon,

Quilon_by_Johan_Nieuhof.jpg

Images of Tuticorin (Tuthukudi) harbor city,

nieuhof1682.jpg

Images of pearl fishing on Tuticorin coast,

pearlfishing.jpg

vanderaa1725.jpg

So your assumptions was wrong in there.Kurichyas also carry such nice bow and arrow.

But it is also possible that the tribals adopted the practices of the Nairs and not the other way around.
why REVERSE??
Actually almost all Indian tribal groups wears large earrings..
i don't think they all adopted it from Kerala Nairs...

I'm not a racist. but, it is unfortunate that some claims Kerala and Tamilnadu are the same people. I think, it is wrong. similar language - yes, cultural similarities - yes, do exist. but, having seen the pathetic tribal life styles of Madurai region, I can not imagine Kerala is similar to them.

why REVERSE??
Actually almost all Indian tribal groups wears large earrings..
i don't think they all adopted it from Kerala Nairs...

LOL. Almost ALL ? you are destroying your own credibility by making such flimsy comment that shows how desperate you are to show Nairs as tribals. All the best.

nope..So tribal characters were there in Nairs,Christians and Muslims also??...possibility of intermixing??

It is quite conclusive now that Brahmins - Iyers among them - were migrants who introduced the concepts of statehood, the predominance of the King, and a shift over from a largely raiding culture to a predominantly agricultural economy. Prior to this development (around the 9th century AD), Tamilakam was largely constituted of tribes led by chieftains who obtained their wealth from raiding and robbery. As the transition took place, these tribes constituted newly nominated castes and sub-castes.

1662 drawing of the meeting of Dutch diplomat with the queen of Quilon. Note the ear lobes of the queen and her maids. However this time the Nair men do not seem to have longish ear lobes. Also the men seems to be carrying a sword that seems more arabic in origin, again one which could not be sheathed. Its interesting to note that the are men openly displaying their swords even though their queen is just a few feet away.

nieuhoff1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a racist. but, it is unfortunate that some claims Kerala and Tamilnadu are the same people. I think, it is wrong. similar language - yes, cultural similarities - yes, do exist. but, having seen the pathetic tribal life styles of Madurai region, I can not imagine Kerala is similar to them.

The language spoken was identical until relatively recently.

LOL. Almost ALL ? you are destroying your own credibility by making such flimsy comment that shows how desperate you are to show Nairs as tribals. All the best.
Are u mad???..thats only a reply to your post..check my earlier post..
I said Nairs,Syrian Christians,Muslim all used to wear big earrings..

The language spoken was identical until relatively recently.
Actually there are two forms of Malayalam..
1.Thani Malayalam(it has minimum Sanskrit words and looks more like Tamil)...
2.Sanskritized present one...

Last edited:
Are u mad???..thats only a reply to your post..check my earlier post..
I said Nairs,Syrian Christians,Muslim all used to wear big earrings..

Every thing happens for a reason. What can be the reason for enlarging your ear lobes ?

To grab attention ?
To improve hearing ?
To show tolerance to pain and courage ?

My great grandmother had huge looping earlobes and I was told that the larger the gold you can stuff the hole with, the greater your status symbol.

So if displaying the gold you have was the purpose, it could very well have gone from the nobility to the tribals, like most things in most societies.

Anyway all this speculation. Either could be just as true.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom