What's new

HISTORY OF MALABAR :DISCUSSIONS.

80% of malayalam words are sanskrit words. You will be hard pressed to find a malayalam word that does not have a direct line to sanskrit.

BTW the kannada/tamil word 'Guri' comes from the dravida world 'Kuri' which means 'target'. Its colloquial use and sometimes substitute the world aim with looking at the target, which is why the world aim which is nokkam in tamil, which means 'target looked at', lakshya in telugu and uddesha in kannada.

Tamil for aim Nokkam, becomes malayalam for tip i.e. Nokka

Before being Tribals, we were apes too. That does not mean anything. We are talking about history of non tribal societies here.
Kannada-Guri,lakshya or uddesha..
Tamil-kuri,latchiyam,uththesam..
Nokkam-aim,intention
what is Nokka??..you mean Nokku-look,watch(in Malayalam/Tamil)..
Tip is Muna,agram,attam in Malayalam..
YES,Malayalam has 80% Sanskrit words,but that is High literature Malayalam-for writing highly Sanskritized poems and in High literatures...No one uses 80% Sanskrit in common usage..

It would be logical to conclude that ceylon has Nair ancestry rather than the other way around :P ............ SL is an island after all.

Nope .... the other way .

The theory is a continuation of the theory about ancestry of eezhavas .

A group of martial experts where sent from ceylon to protect Jains/Buddhists from their fight against Brahmins/Hindus .

Eventually the Jains/Buddhists were defeated and the Brahmins/Hindus also asked the people from ceylon to provide them security .

One group among them agreed while the other rejected .

The one agreed was given a higher social status and became the Nairs while the other group became Eezhavas .

..but these stories and myths have no substantial proofs or evidence..we may came from different parts or source ,but the Modern Malayali groups(especially so called High castes) are largely intermixed one....Actually there is no notable difference between a Nair and a Syrian Christian of Kerala....
for eg-Knanaya Christians of Kerala are believed to be from Syria....But they look exactly like that of other Malayali group,not Syrians...

As I said it's just a theory ...... one among the many about the origin of nairs .

Kannada-Guri,lakshya or uddesha..
Tamil-kuri,latchiyam,uththesam..
Nokkam-aim,intention
what is Nokka??..you mean Nokku-look,watch(in Malayalam/Tamil)..
Tip is Muna,agram,attam in Malayalam..
YES,Malayalam has 80% Sanskrit words,but that is High literature Malayalam-for writing highly Sanskritized poems and in High literatures...No one uses 80% Sanskrit in common usage..

Of the 7 South Indian words you have mentioned, 5 are from Sanskrit.

Lakshya/Latchiyam is from sanskrit Lakshya
uththesam/Uddesha is from sanskrit uddeshya
Agram is from sanskrit agra
attam is from sanskrit atta

Only Nokkam and kuri/guri is dravida. And all these are used in common usage, not in high literature.

In Trivandrum side they use the world "nokka" for tip. I have heard the usage "Naakinde Nokkaatu ......" for tip of tongue.

A group of martial experts where sent from ceylon to protect Jains/Buddhists from their fight against Brahmins/Hindus .
Eventually the Jains/Buddhists were defeated and the Brahmins/Hindus also asked the people from ceylon to provide them security .
The one agreed was given a higher social status and became the Nairs while the other group became Eezhavas .
As I said it's just a theory ...... one among the many about the origin of nairs .

This BS is from a 18 century eezhva poem which is pure fictional. The story comes due to the tamil word for SL i.e. Izham. We today know it as Eelam like in "Tamil Eelam" a.k.a LTTE :D

It is more likely that the eezhavas were the Buddhist inhabitants of kerala with the same lineage as Nairs, only due to their Non Hindu nature, they were pushed into the lower caste status among Hindus of Kerala.

A good indicator is the presence of two gods of the Ezhavas, Cittan and Arattan who are actually the Buddhist gods Sidhan and Arhatan. Later when they converted back into Hinduism their status did not change.

Last edited:
Even today most of the Eezhavas I know are calm and peaceful and non aggressive. I have always suspected it to be due to their Buddhist past.

@Manvan..
i think,it is '. Nakkinte Thumbathu'.
Thumbu-Tip...

Even today most of the Eezhavas I know are calm and peaceful and non aggressive. I have always suspected it to be due to their Buddhist past.
Actually a quite a few castes of South India have Srilankan ancestry..
one among is IDIGA' caste of Karnataka..Former Kannada super star 'Rajkumar' belonged to this caste..

@kurup where did you get that info ?

ker15-761799.jpg

I find this picture interesting.. In earlier times, Nair women were not allowed to cover their breasts?? Or is there something I am missing??

I find this picture interesting.. In earlier times, Nair women were not allowed to cover their breasts?? Or is there something I am missing??

In earlier times NO ONE was allowed to cover themselves from waste up except the kings. Even head gear had to be removed when in presence of somebody of a higher caste. Be it nair, namboodri or verma or christian or muslim.

Even today when Hindus in kerala go to temple, they have to be naked from waist up.

I have also doubt about that .
At present according to Govt Nairs are uppercaste .It was like that in earlier centuries.
Except low caste all others have right to cover their chest .
This picture is either wrong or some other reason .

Back
Top Bottom