What's new

HISTORY OF MALABAR :DISCUSSIONS.

In earlier times NO ONE was allowed to cover themselves from waste up except the kings. Even head gear had to be removed when in presence of somebody of a higher caste. Be it nair, namboodri or verma or christian or muslim.

Even today when Hindus in kerala go to temple, they have to be naked from waist up.

Hindu guys mate.. :D :D Otherwise, there will be a huge rush in every temple :P

How come the word keralam is associated with coconut trees and malayalam is not related to coconut at all??
Tamilians speak tamil....maharastrians speak marathi ..punjabis speak punjabi but keralites speak malayalm.How come?

Whats that?

Malayalam is the youngest of Dravidian language. In tamil, the people of the land of Malabar from yesteryear are mentioned as "Malaiyaalathaars" Malai- Mountain, Aalathars- People. Meaning people who live in the mountains.
It became Malayalam, language spoken by Mountain people.

I think so ...... but don't remember it now .

Well I have some doubt about that.There might be some flow of warriors from SL .But at that time there might be no Nairs or Ezhavas .Only warriors among ancient Tamil population.Ezhavas was also took security of our kings .
Still some Ezhavas are called Panikkar a former position in Kalari

In earlier times NO ONE was allowed to cover themselves from waste up except the kings. Even head gear had to be removed when in presence of somebody of a higher caste. Be it nair, namboodri or verma or christian or muslim.

Mate, but it is said that only lower castes were allowed not to cover their chests.. I mean most of the uppercastes like nairs and namboodiries used to abuse that power.. My History is not that strong.. I am just sharing what I learned..

I think so ...... but don't remember it now .
Its Reverse.. Naga Deepa also known as Nainathivu or Nainatheevu or Manidweepam is a small but
notable island off the coast of Jaffna Peninsula in the Sri Lankan Tamil dominated Northern Province, Sri Lanka. The name of the island
alludes to its aboriginal inhabitants, the Nayanair or Nāka people. It is home to the ancient Hindu shrine of Shree Nagapooshani (Bhuvaneswari) Amman; one of the prominent 64 Shakti Peethas, and the Buddhist shrine Naga Vihare.
Nāka Tivu / Nāka Nadu was the name of the whole Jaffna peninsula in some historical documents. There are number of Buddhist myths associated with the interactions of
people of this historical place with Buddha.
The two Tamil Buddhist epics of Kundalakesi and Manimekalai describe the islet of Manipallavam of Nāka Tivu/Nadu which is
identified with this islet of the Jaffna peninsula.
Manimekalai describes the ancient island of Manipallavam from where merchants came to obtain gems and conch shells. The Tamil
language inscription of the Nainativu temple by Parâkramabâhu I of the 12th century CE states that foreign merchants must land at Kayts
before entering the island, and for other ports.
The Hindu temple was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1620 CE. It was restored and re- established in 1788. A portion of the inscription slab is built into the wall of the present restored temple. Nainativu Nagapooshani Amman temple was attacked and burnt, and sustained severe damage, in June 1958, and in March 1986 by the Sri Lankan
armed forces. The Naga Deepa Buddhist Vihara was established in the 1940s by a resident monk with the help of local Tamils. Nāka people were snake-worshipers, a tropical
custom found in South Asia, Africa, Amazon. Some of Sri Lankan Naga people spoke Sinhala and some of they spoke Tamil. According to
the formation of Sinhala, Naga tribe is one of Siwhela tribe among with Raksha, Yaksha and Deva. Based on Ptolemy’s description of the
Nāka people, they spoke Tamil. They also likely spoke Prakrit, a language of the school of Amaravati, Andhra Pradesh with which the early Tamils of Jaffna had strong cultural
relations during the classical period. The Nākas were an offshoot of the Kerala Nayar community, at that time the Chera kingdom of ancient Tamilakam....

If he is Syrian catholic , how can he be a part of ethnic indigenous tribe ??

Good Question .But if that is the case all of us should leave kerala except SC/ST and tribes.

Hindu guys mate.. :D :D Otherwise, there will be a huge rush in every temple :P

In earlier time even women had to be naked waist up when going to the temple. Of course there was also entry restrictions then. I have a few pics of that time but I cannot post it here.

Good Question .But if that is the case all of us should leave kerala except SC/ST and tribes.
Syrian Christians are not essentially Syrians..There were lot of converts from Nair,Eezhava and Other classes...

Mate, but it is said that only lower castes were allowed not to cover their chests.. I mean most of the uppercastes like nairs and namboodiries used to abuse that power.. My History is not that strong.. I am just sharing what I learned..

Caste in kerala was a social hierarchy and every body was part of the caste system whether they liked it or not.

The Verma's were the highest, so every below him were lower caste. Next came Namboodri's so everybody under him was lower caste to him. etc....

It did not matter if you were a Nasrani or mappila. Every body had their place and this was ensured by the king edict.

Even namboodir women could not cover their top. Even Verma women could not cover their top. Here is a picture of a verma queen and even she had to be topless in front of the king. (who was the painter) She just throws a cloth on top for modesty.

images

This is a picture of a Nair household fully clothed.

800px-Brahmin_family_in_Kerala_%281902%29.jpg

Its Reverse.. Naga Deepa also known as Nainathivu or Nainatheevu or Manidweepam is a small but
notable island off the coast of Jaffna Peninsula in the Sri Lankan Tamil dominated Northern Province, Sri Lanka. The name of the island
alludes to its aboriginal inhabitants, the Nayanair or Nāka people. It is home to the ancient Hindu shrine of Shree Nagapooshani (Bhuvaneswari) Amman; one of the prominent 64 Shakti Peethas, and the Buddhist shrine Naga Vihare.
Nāka Tivu / Nāka Nadu was the name of the whole Jaffna peninsula in some historical documents. There are number of Buddhist myths associated with the interactions of
people of this historical place with Buddha.
The two Tamil Buddhist epics of Kundalakesi and Manimekalai describe the islet of Manipallavam of Nāka Tivu/Nadu which is
identified with this islet of the Jaffna peninsula.
Manimekalai describes the ancient island of Manipallavam from where merchants came to obtain gems and conch shells. The Tamil
language inscription of the Nainativu temple by Parâkramabâhu I of the 12th century CE states that foreign merchants must land at Kayts
before entering the island, and for other ports.
The Hindu temple was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1620 CE. It was restored and re- established in 1788. A portion of the inscription slab is built into the wall of the present restored temple. Nainativu Nagapooshani Amman temple was attacked and burnt, and sustained severe damage, in June 1958, and in March 1986 by the Sri Lankan
armed forces. The Naga Deepa Buddhist Vihara was established in the 1940s by a resident monk with the help of local Tamils. Nāka people were snake-worshipers, a tropical
custom found in South Asia, Africa, Amazon. Some of Sri Lankan Naga people spoke Sinhala and some of they spoke Tamil. According to
the formation of Sinhala, Naga tribe is one of Siwhela tribe among with Raksha, Yaksha and Deva. Based on Ptolemy’s description of the
Nāka people, they spoke Tamil. They also likely spoke Prakrit, a language of the school of Amaravati, Andhra Pradesh with which the early Tamils of Jaffna had strong cultural
relations during the classical period. The Nākas were an offshoot of the Kerala Nayar community, at that time the Chera kingdom of ancient Tamilakam....

Well some theory says Nairs are from Himachal Pradesh and surrrounding areas.
Another study says they are descendants of Scythians .

Well some theory says Nairs are from Himachal Pradesh and surrrounding areas.
Another study says they are descendants of Scythians .

Do they worship snakes in HP and scythia ? :disagree:

Syrian Christians are not essentially Syrians..There were lot of converts from Nair,Eezhava and Other classes...

It would be unlikely they would have converts from Nairs since that would have put them far below in the social hierarchy. It would not be the practical thing to do. I cannot comment on other castes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom