What's new

HISTORY OF MALABAR :DISCUSSIONS.

Like the great Khali ? :D ..... that part might have been an exaggeration but he was reported to be VERY tall so probably 6.5 or something. In those days he would have appeared like a giant to those around him.

Well I have 6.1 ft and I am tallest in my family ,rest are in between 5.9 and 6.
I cant imagine such a huge kalari expert.

Something about us.. I am not sure how much of it is genuine..

Panicker Family History, Kundara Branch

I am not aware of any kalari history and I dont think its a sir name given only to Kalari masters and doctors in ancient times..

Do you know Kalari ?:D

Well I have 6.1 ft and I am tallest in my family ,rest are in between 5.9 and 6.
I cant imagine such a huge kalari expert.
Do you know Kalari ?:D

We get taller in every successive generation. That is a fact. You can look at the average height of Indians 100 years back 50 years back and now.

We get taller in every successive generation. That is a fact. You can look at the average height of Indians 100 years back 50 years back and now.

That is right.New generation of Keralites born after 2000 are more good looking and comparatively taller than their counterparts in other parts of India .Even better than keralites born after 1990's.

Ezhavas has got a paternal lineage of European origin: Study - The Hindu

22tvpt-team1_787911f.jpg

The HinduSeema Nair.P, Aswathy Geetha and Chippy Jagannath with K.Sasikumar (extreme left), Sree Budha Education Society chairman and Somi Sebastian, principal, at the Biochemistry laboratory of Sree Budha College of Engineering at Pattoor near Pandalam. Photo: Leju Kamal

TOPICS
science and technology
biotechnology

Ezhavas showed more genotypic resemblance to the Jat Sikh population of Punjab and the Turkish populations than to East Asians, indicating a paternal lineage of European origin, according to a study on Deoxyribo Nulceic Acid (DNA) profiling of Kerala population conducted by a three-member team of experts attached to Department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering at Sree Budha College of Engineering (SBCE) at Pattoor near Pandalam.

The study was conducted by Dr Seema Nair.P, Head of the department of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering at SBCE, Aswathy Geetha and Chippy Jagannath of the same department with the help of a group of students.

The study report has already been published in the Croatian Medical Journal (Croat MedJ), giving it an international exposure recently.

According to Dr Seema, the study has completely analysed the short tandem repeat (STR) profile of Y-chromosomes in male blood samples.

Whole blood samples were collected from 104 unrelated healthy men of the Ezhava population over a period of one year from October 2009.

Genomic DNA was extracted by salting out method and all samples were genotyped for the 8 Y-STR loci by the AmpFiSTR Y-filer PCR Amplification Kit. The haplotype (and allele frequencies were determined by direct counting and analyzed using Arlequin 3.1 software, and molecular variance was calculated with the Y-chromosome haplotype reference database online analysis tool, YHRD : Unspported Browser

Haplotype is a combination of DNA sequences (alleles) at different places (loci), she said.

As many as 98 of the 104 haplotypes examined were found unique ones.

“Out of the 104 haplotypes, 10 were found identical to the Jat Sikh population of Punjab which is the greatest number among the Indian populations, and 4 to the Turkish population, which is the greatest number among the European populations. It further clarifies that the Ezhavas were genetically more similar to the Europeans (60%) than to the East Asians (40%),’’ the study report said.

“Due to the geographical position of the Indian Peninsula between Africa, the Pacific, and west and east Eurasia, different populations have moved through its territory. This is why ethnic Indian population shows enormous cultural, linguistic, and genetic diversity. The long seacoast of Kerala on the southern-most part of India has provided a gateway to India for many Asian, European, and Srilankan missionaries and traders. Non-tribal communities of Kerala, as shown by a human leukocyte antigen (HLA) analysis, were influenced by Dravidian, Indo-European, and East Asian gene pools.’’

According to the allele frequency distribution, the Ezhava population of Kerala has got features of European, Central Asian, and East Asian gene pools. Mitochondrial DNA studies also validated the presence of two distinct, eastern and western Eurasian-specific lineage groups in India, suggesting that there were at least two separate migration events to India, says the study report.

Dr Seema claims that this is the first report on the Y-STR profile in Kerala population. The Ezhava population was compared with other Indian populations and with selected world populations in order to investigate the pattern of paternal contributions, she adds.

According to Dr K. Sasikumar, chairman of Sree Budha Education Society who was the driving spirit behind the project, the data made available through the SBCE study would be of great help in developing unique genetic fingerprints or a DNA Barcode for personnel identification, forensic analysis, etc. The study has got much relevance as genetic fingerprinting can also help us a lot in predicting our future health, he said.

Some interesting facts.:coffee: @kalanirnay @abjktu

Refer to post #135

But as a Keralite i dont see much difference except some little cases in SC/ST and tribals.

Some interesting facts.:coffee: @kalanirnay @abjktu

But as a Keralite i dont see much difference except some little cases in SC/ST and tribals.

Interesting study and report. I would need to read it in some detail to find out which haplogroup matched with the Jats and Europeans.

Its a shame they did not study the haplogrouping of other castes and communities. I have never really bothered to study the genetic map of kerala. I think I will do that when I have time.

I remember saying that the ezahavas might have greek and roman blood in them. Looks like that turns out to be true. What are the odds of sailors of ships that landed in kerala for 2000 years have a bit of fun and spreading their seed ?

Last edited:
Interesting and report. I would need to read it in some detail to find out which halogroup matched with the Jats and Europeans.

Its a shame they did not study the halogrouping of other castes and communities. I have never really bothered to study the genetic map of kerala. I think I will do that when I have time.

I remember saying that the ezahavas might have greek and roman blood in them. Looks like that turns out to be true. What are the odds of sailors of ships that landed in kerala for 2000 years have a bit of fun and spreading their seed ?

I know this college and its management .They have heavily influential people from Ezhava communities directly linked to the top leadership of SNDP .Perhaps they may use this for usual noisy debate with NSS.

Actually What is that ?
Ethnic roots is findout using surnames .How can they findout their root like that?

They are doing Genetic mapping of malayalees along with their surnames.

Similar to what was done as per the report you have put up. That one was specific for ezhevas. This is for everybody.

I know this college and its management .They have heavily influential people from Ezhava communities directly linked to the top leadership of SNDP .Perhaps they may use this for usual noisy debate with NSS.
...... Unlikely cousins: Ezhava and Jat Sikh

The basis of AIT has been tested by several genetic diversity studies. DNA samples taken from thousands of Indians have been compared with population groups from other
parts of the world, particularly Europe and Central Asia.
The latest one is from Kerala, which is my home state on India’s south-western coast.
According to the study, two entirely different castes – Ezhava, also known as Thiyya in northern Kerala, and Jat Sikh of Punjab – show
remarkable genetic similarity.
In fact, Ezhavas showed more genotypic resemblance to the Jat Sikh population of Punjab, Turks and Germans than to East Asians, says the study by the Department of
Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering at the Sree Budha College of Engineering in Pattoor, Kerala. It was conducted by department head Dr Seema Nair, Aswathy Geetha and Chippy Jagannath under the aegis of Dr K. Sasikumar, the chairman of the
institute. It has also been published in the Croatian Medical Journal.
Before we jump into the study, here’s a little note about genetics. For various reasons, DNA material undergoes slight alterations or
mutations in the course of time. The mutations then become characteristic of the line of descendants. These mutations, or genetic markers, are organised into categories called haplotypes. Basically, your haplotype is your
genetic fingerprint.
The Sree Budha study examined DNA from the Y chromosome, which is also known as the male chromosome because it is found only in males. More specifically, it examined Y Short Tandem Repeat (Y STR) DNA present in the Y chromosome. As these DNA sequences are passed from father to son, it is also useful in forensics and paternity testing.
The Ezhava population was compared with other Indian populations and with selected
world populations in order to investigate the pattern of paternal contributions. Nair’s team examined 104 haplotypes among the Ezhavas.
Ten were found identical to the Jat Sikhs, which is the highest number among Indian populations, and four to the Turkish population, which is the highest among European populations.
“The comparison suggests a genetic link between the populations,” says Nair. Ezhavas, she argues, are genetically more similar to Europeans (60 percent) than to East Asians (40 percent).
My interaction with Nair, who comes across as witty and erudite, was primarily fuelled by my search for my own roots. I belong to the same
Ezhava community, which is at the centre of this research.
The Ezhavas have an intriguing history. The most persistent belief is that they are the original people of Kerala – the soldiers of the Villavar (archer) community which founded the Chera kingdom. It is a measure of their martial traditions that among the Ezhavas are the Chekavar – the only kamikaze group of fighters
known in Indian history.
What is intriguing about the study is that the Ezhavas, a Dravidian group, are now being described as closer to Jat Sikhs, Europeans and Central Asians.
In terms of physical appearance, the Ezhavas are brown Caucasians. However, typical of many Indian communities, there are plenty of
very dark and very fair people among them.
On the other hand, the Jat Sikhs who live 3000 km up north are a lot fairer. Plus, Jat Sikh surnames such Mann, Bader, Brar, Dhillon and Virk have an uncanny Germanic resonance.
Indeed, it is worth mentioning the during the early part of the 20th century Sikh immigrants to the US convinced the Immigration &
Naturalization Service to grant them white status. Those days only white Europeans were allowed to enter the United States as immigrants. However, later the INS wised up to
the fact that the Sikhs “weren’t that white” and again categorised them as Asian.
So there you have it. One group of Indians, the Ezhavas, and another group, the Jat Sikhs. The only thing they have in common is a martial
tradition. And yet you have this study asserting that the two communities – that have never mixed and live thousands of miles away – are
closer genetically than to communities that live close by.........

That is right.New generation of Keralites born after 2000 are more good looking and comparatively taller than their counterparts in other parts of India .Even better than keralites born after 1990's.
May be its due to changes in food habits,life styles etc etc...
Like i said earlier..All modern MALAYALIS are MIXED,be its a high,backward classes..Thats why majority Malayali population looks more or less similar in appearance and body structure..
Posters like Lord Manvan are desperately trying to segregate MALAYALIS on the basis of caste and religion..For him A Malayali Nair is more closer to a hindu sindhi from Pakistan than his own Malayali Muslim,Christian brethren...

Its Reverse.. Naga Deepa also known as Nainathivu or Nainatheevu or Manidweepam is a small but
notable island off the coast of Jaffna Peninsula in the Sri Lankan Tamil dominated Northern Province, Sri Lanka. The name of the island
alludes to its aboriginal inhabitants, the Nayanair or Nāka people. It is home to the ancient Hindu shrine of Shree Nagapooshani (Bhuvaneswari) Amman; one of the prominent 64 Shakti Peethas, and the Buddhist shrine Naga Vihare.
Nāka Tivu / Nāka Nadu was the name of the whole Jaffna peninsula in some historical documents. There are number of Buddhist myths associated with the interactions of
people of this historical place with Buddha.
The two Tamil Buddhist epics of Kundalakesi and Manimekalai describe the islet of Manipallavam of Nāka Tivu/Nadu which is
identified with this islet of the Jaffna peninsula.
Manimekalai describes the ancient island of Manipallavam from where merchants came to obtain gems and conch shells. The Tamil
language inscription of the Nainativu temple by Parâkramabâhu I of the 12th century CE states that foreign merchants must land at Kayts
before entering the island, and for other ports.
The Hindu temple was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1620 CE. It was restored and re- established in 1788. A portion of the inscription slab is built into the wall of the present restored temple. Nainativu Nagapooshani Amman temple was attacked and burnt, and sustained severe damage, in June 1958, and in March 1986 by the Sri Lankan
armed forces. The Naga Deepa Buddhist Vihara was established in the 1940s by a resident monk with the help of local Tamils. Nāka people were snake-worshipers, a tropical
custom found in South Asia, Africa, Amazon. Some of Sri Lankan Naga people spoke Sinhala and some of they spoke Tamil. According to
the formation of Sinhala, Naga tribe is one of Siwhela tribe among with Raksha, Yaksha and Deva. Based on Ptolemy’s description of the
Nāka people, they spoke Tamil. They also likely spoke Prakrit, a language of the school of Amaravati, Andhra Pradesh with which the early Tamils of Jaffna had strong cultural
relations during the classical period. The Nākas were an offshoot of the Kerala Nayar community, at that time the Chera kingdom of ancient Tamilakam....

Like this theory ..... there are multiple ones out there .

Unless Govt. sanctions some project to find out the ancestry of each group ,..... I don't think it will be possible to find out which is right or wrong .

Back
Top Bottom