What's new

Geo TV Ordered To remove two shows or Shutdown within 48 hours by UAE government

Today Sherry Rehman and Rashid Qureshi met.

Something was cooked up.

Either this was a Presidency + PPP move or PPP move alone. PPP was involved.

I think this news is 2 days old? as far as what im hearing on GEO.

Canadians not Pak government to Geo's rescue

CFP: IFJ Demands UAE Overturn Ban on Pakistan TV Programs

IFJ Demands UAE Overturn Ban on Pakistan TV Programs

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) is extremely concerned that two popular talk programs transmitted to Pakistan from Dubai-based GEO TV have been taken off air at the request of the Government of United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The IFJ calls on the UAE Government to explain why, and on whose authority, it asked the independent Pakistan television broadcaster to cancel the programs.

The Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists (PFUJ), an affiliate of the IFJ, said the owner of GEO and the Jang group of newspapers, Mir Shakeelur Rehman, confirmed that UAE authorities had asked GEO to discontinue broadcasting Capital Talk, hosted by Islamabad-based Hamid Mir, and Meray Mutabek, hosted by Dubai-based Shahid Masood.

UAE authorities reportedly told GEO management that they did not want anything transmitted from Dubai to disturb UAE’s relationship with friendly countries.

Pakistan’s Information Minister, Sherry Rehman, reportedly said that Pakistan’s new civilian government had not asked UAE to act against GEO.

It is the second time in six months that UAE has blocked GEO programming. On November 17, 2007, the broadcaster’s Dubai office was shut down by a phone call from the UAE Government under pressure from Pakistan, which at that time was under emergency rule imposed by President Pervez Musharraf. Dubai-based Pakistan broadcaster ARY-One suffered the same fate.

Mir told the IFJ today that he had received messages in recent weeks that President Musharraf was displeased with his program.
Mir was informed this morning, as he prepared for his regular Thursday program, that the closure of both shows came into force at midnight on June 11.

Capital Talk had only returned to air in early March 2008 after being banned during the November state of emergency.

Today, the PFUJ was informed that the new bans would be debated when Pakistan’s Parliament next meets on June 14.

The IFJ joins the PFUJ in calling for a prompt parliamentary resolution for Pakistan’s Government to request that UAE authorities not intervene in the affairs of independent broadcasters and that the ban be overturned and the programs returned to air.

“The new Dubai bans against GEO TV continue a disturbing censorship pact that emerged in November 2007 when Pakistan pressured UAE to act against independent broadcasters,” said IFJ Asia-Pacific.

“The IFJ calls on the UAE Government to step back from its interference in independent and critical programming, which are essential components of a free media and open society anywhere in the world.”

For further information contact IFJ Asia-Pacific on +612 9333 0919

The IFJ represents over 600,000 journalists in 120 countries

Call the number man, its the front desk.

I believe its not a done deal. Since Geo is still airing some shows LIVE and its not declared on TV.

But the guys at Geo are saying the order came from the UAE government. I asked them who is behind it they said someone from our government probably. Now that could be Mush or that could be Zardari.

If it's not Zardari all he needs to do is pick up the phone and say the GOVERNMENT of Pakistan wants not such thing.

Who do you think they'd listen to? Government? Or a President?

I don't like Geo too much but I wouldn't support such blatant suppression of the press.

Another boot on Musharraf's face, GEO News constantly repeating in hourly news Musharraf is behind the actions:rofl:, another boot man, This makes your conspiracy theories baseless now.:lol:

Another boot on Musharraf's face, GEO News constantly repeating in hourly news Musharraf is behind the actions:rofl:, another boot man, This makes your conspiracy theories baseless now.:lol:
They are repeating something about the coverage of Long March and Musharraf.

No real mention of the actions being taken in Dubai.

They are repeating something about the coverage of Long March and Musharraf.

No real mention of the actions being taken in Dubai.

Ahhh come on Asim I wish I could post the scene here but I cant, its on GEO keeping watching and you will see. Geo is all hot they going to repeat this news all day.:lol: So the chances for you to see is high.

Ahhh come on Asim I wish I could post the scene here but I cant, its on GEO keeping watching and you will see. Geo is all hot they going to repeat this news all day.:lol: So the chances for you to see is high.
Geo just reported they have been shut down from selective areas of Pakistan!

I'm guessing as the message reaches all the cable operators it will be in effect.

What's going on? Is it not the PPP government shutting it down in Pakistan or is it Musharraf doing it there too!

Geo just reported they have been shut down from selective areas of Pakistan!

I'm guessing as the message reaches all the cable operators it will be in effect.

What's going on? Is it not the PPP government shutting it down in Pakistan or is it Musharraf doing it there too!

Musharraf is definitely behind it, after all the Interviews on Meray Mutabiq Jamshed Kiyani, other ret. Generals and Ijaz-Ul-Haq are blaming Msuharraf for all the **** they did together :lol:. It must have hurt Musharraf hearing one of his Corps commander calling him a dictator and a opportunist, and then we have the famous Lal Masjid Al-Amir Sir Ijaz-Ul-Haq son of traitor Zia-Ul-Haq who planted the seeds in Lal Masjid, he in the end blamed Musharraf for all the death. The real hard kick came from the Judiciary :rofl:, they are actively protesting against him, and now for the first time they will have audience in Islamabad:lol:.

Go Musharraf Go.

IFJ Demands UAE Overturn Ban on Pakistan TV Programs

By Online Thursday, June 12, 2008

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) is extremely concerned that two popular talk programs transmitted to Pakistan from Dubai-based GEO TV have been taken off air at the request of the Government of United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The IFJ calls on the UAE Government to explain why, and on whose authority, it asked the independent Pakistan television broadcaster to cancel the programs.

The Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists (PFUJ), an affiliate of the IFJ, said the owner of GEO and the Jang group of newspapers, Mir Shakeelur Rehman, confirmed that UAE authorities had asked GEO to discontinue broadcasting Capital Talk, hosted by Islamabad-based Hamid Mir, and Meray Mutabek, hosted by Dubai-based Shahid Masood.

UAE authorities reportedly told GEO management that they did not want anything transmitted from Dubai to disturb UAE’s relationship with friendly countries.

Pakistan’s Information Minister, Sherry Rehman, reportedly said that Pakistan’s new civilian government had not asked UAE to act against GEO.

It is the second time in six months that UAE has blocked GEO programming. On November 17, 2007, the broadcaster’s Dubai office was shut down by a phone call from the UAE Government under pressure from Pakistan, which at that time was under emergency rule imposed by President Pervez Musharraf. Dubai-based Pakistan broadcaster ARY-One suffered the same fate.

Mir told the IFJ today that he had received messages in recent weeks that President Musharraf was displeased with his program.
Mir was informed this morning, as he prepared for his regular Thursday program, that the closure of both shows came into force at midnight on June 11.

Capital Talk had only returned to air in early March 2008 after being banned during the November state of emergency.

Today, the PFUJ was informed that the new bans would be debated when Pakistan’s Parliament next meets on June 14.

The IFJ joins the PFUJ in calling for a prompt parliamentary resolution for Pakistan’s Government to request that UAE authorities not intervene in the affairs of independent broadcasters and that the ban be overturned and the programs returned to air.

“The new Dubai bans against GEO TV continue a disturbing censorship pact that emerged in November 2007 when Pakistan pressured UAE to act against independent broadcasters,” said IFJ Asia-Pacific.

“The IFJ calls on the UAE Government to step back from its interference in independent and critical programming, which are essential components of a free media and open society anywhere in the world.”

For further information contact IFJ Asia-Pacific on +612 9333 0919

The IFJ represents over 600,000 journalists in 120 countries

CFP: IFJ Demands UAE Overturn Ban on Pakistan TV Programs

Asim another boot landed on Musharraf face :lol:. Low where are your Conspiracies going to lead you.

Rehman Malik!

The guy who has been placed by the US within the PPP. The guy who brokered the Mush - PPP deal. The guy who has suddenly rose to prominence within the PPP. The guy whom BB kept close but never trusted, the guy who in BB's time secretly smuggled the WTC bomber (Kansi?) from Pak to America...

So he did it. Situation doesn't change only adds another player. Either Mush, Zardari or America asked him to do it. Or all or any combination of these parties. As I said before, PPP is involved, no way it can happen without PPP approval.

Geo is announcing its good bye and singing its swan song till it can re-telecast from HK or UK.

Geo doesn't know the meaning of moderate policy. It was agreed no live coverage of any event, but Geo did it again. They adopted extreme anti Mushi policy, so obviously Geo never thought all EU and US governmental supports are on his back.
Last night Geo offeringair time to Mushi every week or whenever he wants too, according to them non of TV channel offered air time accept Geo. But why now, after doing all.....
Some people are saying Mushi is behind that....Didn't know Mushi is still so powerful.
Well last night ISPR gave warning shots too to GEO for spreading baseless news about Mushi and Kiyani meeting.
If Geo can't operate from Dubai, they can't operate from anywhere in the world.

Rehman Malik!

The guy who has been placed by the US within the PPP. The guy who brokered the Mush - PPP deal. The guy who has suddenly rose to prominence within the PPP. The guy whom BB kept close but never trusted, the guy who in BB's time secretly smuggled the WTC bomber (Kansi?) from Pak to America...

So he did it. Situation doesn't change only adds another player. Either Mush, Zardari or America asked him to do it. Or all or any combination of these parties. As I said before, PPP is involved, no way it can happen without PPP approval.

Geo is announcing its good bye and singing its swan song till it can re-telecast from HK or UK.

New conspiracy theory now :rofl:, you ending up running in circles, the man reconfirmed that he suspected Rehman Malik to be involved ESPECIALLY with the Awan-e-Sadar where our chimp is handling world affair. Musharraf has US agenda and cant allow the media to speak freely against him. Read the Article, Hamid Mir clearly states Musharraf is behind this crap. Prove me wrong.:D

No Hamid Mir says I don't know who is behind it, whether its the Presidency or someone else.

Someone else meaning Rehman Malik. Rehman Malik is PPP.

I'm not denying its Musharraf but Geo is claiming Rehman Malik physically lodged the ban request. That puts DIRECT involvement of PPP and possible indirect involvement of Musharraf.

GEO should have moved earlier and Shaikhs are retarted. I don't know why they are getting into this all they need is TAXES and Business in their country. Now what will happen is they will go to UK or HK and there will be a trend set for the other businesses in Dubai who are being dictated by stupid SHAIKHS.

Back
Top Bottom