What's new

First time ever: Saudi women can now register to vote

Bro you were lecturing a member on "irony being lost on him"....whilst simultaneously my sarcastic:astagh: was lost on you. :smart:

You are right, lol. Apologies @Shahryar Hedayati . I am now part of the same club.

In all seriousness my suspicion (I was pretty certain in fact) was that you were ironic but I was not 100% certain. Seeing another such reply after Hedayatis post made me for one or two seconds think about whether my initial post was too unclear or confusing.

In any case it's fine elaborating your opinion in greater detail.

Now the next step (sometime in the future, I have no idea when) should be to make the Shoura truly elective and down the line the creation of a constitutional monarchy. I sometimes wonder if the House of Saud ever ponder upon such an development when they meet with European royals who are all (almost) constitutional monarchies.

If you ask me it's pretty much inevitable and necessary.

Absolute rule belongs in a different era.

The globalized/knowledge based multicultural societies have come to stay. I think that this is what annoys terrorist groups/fascists etc. the most. They are just not able to articulate it and use religious dogma, race + violence to get their points across.

Last edited:
You are right, lol. Apologies @Shahryar Hedayati . I am now part of the same club.

In all seriousness my suspicion (I was pretty certain in fact) was that you were ironic but I was not 100% certain. Seeing another such reply after Hedayatis post made me for one or two seconds think about whether my initial post was too unclear or confusing.

In any case it's fine elaborating your opinion in greater detail.

Now the next step (sometime in the future, I have no idea when) should be to make the Shoura truly elective and down the line the creation of a constitutional monarchy. I sometimes wonder if the House of Saud ever ponder upon such an development when they meet with European royals who are all (almost) constitutional monarchies.

If you ask me it's pretty much inevitable and necessary.

Absolute rule belongs in a different era.

The globalized/knowledge based multicultural societies have come to stay. I think that this is what annoys terrorist groups/fascists etc. the most. They are just not able to articulate it and use religious dogma, race + violence to get their points across.

In my opinion KSA is heading into the right direction.

Certain things needs to be fast tracked though...abolishing the sponsorship system, introducing a permanent residence programme, strengthening the law, police, and more importantly Nazaha.

In my opinion KSA is heading into the right direction.

Certain things needs to be fast tracked though...abolishing the sponsorship system, introducing a permanent residence programme, strengthening the law, police, and more importantly Nazaha.

Let us hope so bro. Only time will tell. The MENA region and large parts of the Muslim world (Pakistan unfortunately too) have a lot of demons to deal with. We also have too much war around us in the neighborhood. You have Afghanistan + hostilities with India and we have well, let's better not talk about it.

Yes, but also the liberalization of the economy, improvement of the private sector, much more diversification, continuous investments in infrastructure (especially housing), increased investments in education and reforms within the ulema (good luck with that I say!).

In fact I would go as far as giving citizenship to people who have been born in KSA (regardless of the origin of their parents), who speak Arabic, know about KSA's history and who identify/consider the country their own.

More effective laws to protect foreigners should also be put in place. Maybe not so much laws as those that exist are OK but more the effectiveness of the implementation of that law.

Corruption is a problem indeed but you would be surprised to hear that KSA is one of the better Muslim countries on this front. There is a world in difference between the time of Fahd and today at least.

According to Transparency International KSA is the 55th least corrupt country in the world. As of 2014 that is.

2014 Corruption Perceptions Index -- Results

Only Israel, Qatar and UAE have a better score in the MENA region. Bahrain and Jordan got the same score as KSA.

Not sure how accurate Transparency International is but at least the ranking is not THAT bad. KSA is no Denmark though, lol.

Saudia will get messed up with Democracy ... just leave it as it is

Several Arab countries are secular countries or democracies. Maybe not fully comparable with Western democracies but many of the same rights are present somewhat. In particular in countries such as Lebanon and Tunisia.

We now live in a globalized and knowledge based multicultural world where absolute rule is a thing of the past or at least it will be that not long from now.

A system where the people of KSA elect their own representatives + leaders once mature enough is not necessarily a bad thing. As long as the elected leaders are competent.

For all I care the House of Saud can remain in power as long as the country is moving forward on all of the important fields and people get more rights gradually.

Let people (the majority vote and views) in KSA decide.

Currently the majority are content with status quo although they want to see certain political and social changes/reforms and they should occur and should be discussed openly which some of them are while others are not.

they can vote now, but they can't go outside by themselves nor drive a car to the ballot box

progress :cheers::rofl:

This the the benchmark of a progressive society, letting women vote in 21st century. :tup:

they can vote now, but they can't go outside by themselves nor drive a car to the ballot box

progress :cheers::rofl:

Women in KSA can travel freely in KSA. Most families have no problem with their daughters studying abroad either. At most they get accompanied by their parents, a brother or another male relative which is completely normal if they are traveling to the West for maybe the first time in their life's. Let alone as they are going to live there for an extended period of time and not just visiting for a short stay.

That 25 year old nonsense law that bans women from driving (actually many women in the countryside are driving cars freely and out of necessity on farms etc.) is giving a horrible reputation to KSA.

Forgotten is the fact that KSA is one of the least corrupt Muslim nations, that it is one of the most developed in terms of infrastructure, one of the richest, that KSA has one of the best HDI index rankings out there, that KSA has more women studying at universities than men, that Saudi Arabians have more students at US universities per capita than any other country of the world, that universities in KSA are some of the best ranked in all of the Muslim world and that many positive changes have occurred in the past few years.

In any case congratulations that men can now marry each other (women too) and that marihuana is legal in certain states. The next step is allowing homosexuals to adopt children.

Progress.:cheers:

Or finally end the racial tensions that are visible on almost every front in the US from the justice system to the social conditions all over the US. List is long too. No country is perfect.

A journey starts from the first step its that one

Women in KSA can travel freely in KSA. Most families have no problem with their daughters studying abroad either. At most they get accompanied by their parents, a brother or another male relative which is completely normal if they are traveling to the West for maybe the first time in their life's. Let alone as they are going to live there for an extended period of time and not just visiting for a short stay.

That 25 year old nonsense law that bans women from driving (actually many women in the countryside are driving cars freely and out of necessity on farms etc.) is giving a horrible reputation to KSA.

Forgotten is the fact that KSA is one of the least corrupt Muslim nations, that it is one of the most developed in terms of infrastructure, one of the richest, that KSA has one of the best HDI index rankings out there, that KSA has more women studying at universities than men, that Saudi Arabians have more students at US universities per capita than any other country of the world, that universities in KSA are some of the best ranked in all of the Muslim world and that many positive changes have occurred in the past few years.

In any case congratulations that men can now marry each other (women too) and that marihuana is legal in certain states. The next step is allowing homosexuals to adopt children.

Progress.:cheers:

Or finally end the racial tensions that are visible on almost every front in the US from the justice system to the social conditions all over the US. List is long too. No country is perfect.
Eleven things women in Saudi Arabia cannot do | The Week UK

However, explains Dowd, everything in Saudi Arabia "operates on a sliding scale, depending on who you are, whom you know, whom you ask, whom you're with, and where you are".

I find it funny you lecture me on racial tension when Saudi Arabia treats it's immigrant workers lower than slaves.

Over A Million People Are Living As Slaves In Saudi Arabia, And Obama Never Once Has Mentioned This. Instead He Is Too Busy Blaming America For Racism - Walid Shoebat

Ethiopia Workers Return From Saudi Arabia Telling of Abuse - Bloomberg Business

now this isn't just a Saudi Arabia thing it's Gulf area in general. you only have to read about the abuses of migrant workers in Qatar to know this is a common thing and is widely excepted norm.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

I'm sure South Asians know of the plights of their brothers and sisters working in Saudi Arabia treated like dogs 2nd rate humans.

Eleven things women in Saudi Arabia cannot do | The Week UK

I find it funny you lecture me on racial tension when Saudi Arabia treats it's immigrant workers lower than slaves.

Over A Million People Are Living As Slaves In Saudi Arabia, And Obama Never Once Has Mentioned This. Instead He Is Too Busy Blaming America For Racism - Walid Shoebat

Ethiopia Workers Return From Saudi Arabia Telling of Abuse - Bloomberg Business

now this isn't just a Saudi Arabia thing it's Gulf area in general. you only have to read about the abuses of migrant workers in Qatar to know this is a common thing and is widely excepted norm.

I'm sure South Asians know of the plights of their brothers and sisters working in Saudi Arabia treated like dogs 2nd rate humans.
Women's suffrage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free ...
Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Racism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Corruption in the United States - Wikipedia, the free ...
Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we did not force any one to work on our land nor did we take other people land

Back
Top Bottom