What's new

First Pics: India's First Monorail in Mumbai

Lol! I never said anything wrong

Actually I wasnt even flaming... I was praising Indians
Yet, as you usual you guys took it the wrong way!

@Icewolf don't mind what HypoKRAIT has to say, he does it always, i like your posts, i m with you on this one :enjoy:

Pls carry on with ur knowledgeable posts :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Experts note that a monorail is usually confused with cable car, light rail or tramways. A monorail, in simple terms, is an electric-powered bus that runs on an elevated concrete beam. The Mumbai Monorail, which is the only such system that is currently under construction in India, is a four-car train, with a capacity of 140 passengers per car. The maximum capacity of the system is 10,000 passengers per hour per direction.

The capacity of a Metro system, which can accommodate up to nine cars, is about three to four times more. Thus, the capacity-to-cost ratio is better for a Metro system, even though the per kilometre construction cost is more.

A senior official of Scomi International, a Malaysian monorail manufacturer which is involved in the Mumbai project, says that it comes down to identifying the most economical solution for an expected passenger volume. “For cities that have a population of less than three million, monorail is the ideal mode of transport. For denser cities, monorail can ideally serve as the feeder line that brings passengers in and takes them out of the Metro network.”

He says that monorail corridors should be ideally 15 km to 30 km in length and run through “congested neighbourhoods with narrow roads” where high manoeuvrability would be required. Advocating the Kaula Lampur model, the official says that bus routes inside the city could be replaced by monorail corridors. “The buses can then be used in suburban areas to feed the monorail network. This will also give more space for private vehicles on city roads.”

N.S. Srinivasan, a former Director of the National Transportation Planning and Research Centre, says that a monorail system is best suited for feeding suburban areas. “It can be built very quickly and can extend into outer areas such as Porur, Sriperumbudur and Ambattur. Monorail is ideal for building a regional network. But within the city, the system will reach its capacity very fast.”

He says that a sustainable urbanisation strategy must involve dispersal of the population away from the city core and the dream of extending mass rapid systems such as suburban rail and Metro Rail into outer areas is just not economical. “Revenue from mass rapid systems can meet only recurring cost. The capital cost has to be written off. Monorail is much better when you are looking at a solution not just for the city, but also its rapidly expanding suburbs.”

However, advocates of bus rapid transit systems, such as Dinesh Mohan of IIT-Delhi, say that if cost is a major criterion, then upgrading bus networks is the best option. “Building a dedicated bus lane costs just Rs.10 crore per km. There can be a bus station every 400-500 metres, thereby ensuring the largest area of coverage among any transit system.”

For example, the Delhi Metro, despite its reach, accounts for only five per cent of the daily trips undertaken in the national capital due to the 1-km distance between each station. Mr. Mohan adds that cities must concentrate on creating pedestrian footpaths and cycle tracks, which can be built at less than Rs.1 lakh per km and would benefit a wider section of the population.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...QWP01_NOrGEJCHFAP7p4bZQ&bvm=bv.42553238,d.bmk

Looks great, I am not bothered about color, pink is just fine although I prefer sky blue. :)
These things should be as cheap as possible, we dont need great 'looking' stations, we need functioning stations, nobody is going to stay in those station for more than 15 mins anyway..

Good to see Mumbai Monorail... Metro will also probably start next year...

Sadly in Kolkata the Metro extension is not progressing as expected. Didi and her Party is creating a lot of trouble.

Good to see Mumbai Monorail... Metro will also probably start next year...

Sadly in Kolkata the Metro extension is not progressing as expected. Didi and her Party is creating a lot of trouble.

Thats because bengalis are like that, dont blame didi only, every bengali has a didi in her/him. :)

When is the Mumbai Metro Starting?

Line 1, also referred to as Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar (VAG) corridor, of the Mumbai Metro is part of the rapid transit rail system for the city of Mumbai, India. It will consist of 12 stations from Versova to Ghatkopar. The line connects the eastern and western suburbs of Mumbai.[1] It will cost approximately 3,893 crore (US$708.53 million) and is operated by Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd.[2] The 11.07 km line will be fully elevated and is scheduled to begin operations in August 2013.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...tXOaLJr3Ol4pts3GBxLhXsA&bvm=bv.42553238,d.bmk

Some more Pics:

13204_496856987023205_1427949604_n.jpg

307342_496857177023186_1329664261_n.jpg

28931_10152599660985441_1758256244_n.jpg

35441_10152599736465441_1638835661_n.jpg

427364_10152599736450441_1330067680_n.jpg

154826_10152599659345441_2029742318_n.jpg

482540_10152599659635441_251647720_n.jpg

598371_10152599659655441_855244447_n.jpg

Congrats India.... Now thats something for chest thumping...congrats again it looks great

Thanks dude.Hope you do something in the same line that makes me stand up from my chair and congratulate you.

I guess half of India will like that colour i.e. the girls :D

Are you being a male chauvinist here ?
Pink looks pretty, and many Indian male wear pink, the association with gay is cultural I guess..

Back
Top Bottom