What's new

DRDO mulling shifting missiles by sea to Sarlagondi

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
DRDO mulling shifting missiles by sea to Sarlagondi - The Hindu

Scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) are planning to find a sea route from the Bay of Bengal to shift missiles to the newly proposed Missile Testing Range at Sorlagondi village in Krishna District. In 2012, the Ministry of Defence had announced setting up of a Missile Testing Range on the shore of this fishing village in Nagayalanka mandal.

“It is difficult to transport the missiles by road and the movement of heavy vehicles would damage the fragile ecosystem. The DRDO officials were planning to bring the missiles to the testing range from their laboratories using sea vessels,” said an officer.

A team of DRDO officials – scientist D.V. Rao and engineer Sharma – along with Forest Department officials last week visited the proposed site for the Long Range Missile Testing Facility and discussed the allocation of land. When the forest authorities suggested finding a sea route, instead of a roadway, the DRDO officials responded positively and assured them of discussing the feasibility of the plan with senior scientists.

In-charge DFO (Wildlife DFO) Shaik Kaleelullah said that Eluru Range Wildlife Chief Conservator of Forests S.S. Sridhar and others accompanied the DRDO officials on the visit. “Earlier, the Ministry of Defence had asked the district administration to allocate land for the construction of a road to shift the machinery for the testing centre. But the DRDO officials came up with a proposal to take up dredging in the Krishna at the mouth of the sea to help shift the missiles from the sea through the river to the testing point. The DRDO officials said that they would submit fresh proposals to the Forest Department, River Conservation Authority (Irrigation Department) for permission to take up dredging and transportation in Krishna river, as it is located in Reserve Forest,” said Mr. Kaleelullah.

After receiving the fresh proposals from the DRDO, the Forest Department will send them to the Central Empowered Committee through the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests seeking permission for allowing the vessels into the river through the sea, said the In-charge DFO.

lol tell its exact time, location, route of transportation too

Relax guies sea root is safest for such transports. And there wont be only scientist on board ;)

Relax guies sea root is safest for such transports. And there wont be only scientist on board ;)

Its not about just this particular news. Whats the need of giving out such technical and logistical details to the media, what purpose does it serve? Do you think an average joe gives a fck about whether the missile is being shifted by sea or the road? Give them the news that missile was tested successfully and is now operational, they ll applaud and move on. Giving anymore "news" is unnecessary and counter productive.

I ll give you an example, the gear box for IAC1 was being transported by road on a trailer truck, it meets an "accident", and thanks to that "Accident" the gearbox had to be sent back to the manufacturer causing an additional 1-1.5 years of delay. Can you imagine the strategic implications of that delay?

Now you tell me whether that was an accident or a sabotage? Intel agencies are still tryna figure out.

And just why the fck was this news released to the media:hitwall:

Hey man,there is no big deal. The Site is still to be set-up. And this move is to get environmental clearance for the project which is needed. The road would've run into serious problems on this count alone. Maybe the DRDO is wisening-up after all.

Hey man,there is no big deal. The Site is still to be set-up. And this move is to get environmental clearance for the project which is needed. The road would've run into serious problems on this count alone. Maybe the DRDO is wisening-up after all.

Thing is, am not questioning their decision to make the move by sea, what I fail to understand is that why do they need to tell everyone about this? Just move the missile and other systems, without making a song and dance about it in the media.

I can't imagine this sorta news being in the media in any other country, this "habit" needs to stop.

Thing is, am not questioning their decision to make the move by sea, what I fail to understand is that why do they need to tell everyone about this? Just move the missile and other systems, without making a song and dance about it in the media.

I can't imagine this sorta news being in the media in any other country, this "habit" needs to stop.

Hey, man, as I said earlier; there is just nothing to make a "song and dance" about. There is no road, just as there is no dredged channel to shift the missiles. Most importantly, there is even no mssile test-site at Sarlagonda yet. So there is just nothing to be transported nowwhere!!!!

Please do read the report carefully. It is all into the future. And it is slated to be a "missile test-range" not even an operational missile site.

Why are people just "flying off the handle" just like that....... :)

Its not about just this particular news. Whats the need of giving out such technical and logistical details to the media, what purpose does it serve? Do you think an average joe gives a fck about whether the missile is being shifted by sea or the road? Give them the news that missile was tested successfully and is now operational, they ll applaud and move on. Giving anymore "news" is unnecessary and counter productive.

I ll give you an example, the gear box for IAC1 was being transported by road on a trailer truck, it meets an "accident", and thanks to that "Accident" the gearbox had to be sent back to the manufacturer causing an additional 1-1.5 years of delay. Can you imagine the strategic implications of that delay?

Now you tell me whether that was an accident or a sabotage? Intel agencies are still tryna figure out.

First thing I agree our agencies have a tendency to talk too much about the things they dont need to speak.

Secondly , I am not mad anout this news cause last time IN try to aquire a site for misisle fire testing a huge environment activist row stopped that. Similar thing happen to the radar project where scared birds were in question.

So some clearification on how the ecology of the site will not be harmed or will be minimum is explained.
You are right average Joe dont give a fuk where missile is kept or how it is carried but he certainly come on the street when somebody say "save nature" ;) may be a good thing.

About the road accident , sir I dont know from where you get the idea of sabotoge. But the types of convoy I have seen it is not possible without a gun fight.

And more over the visits and schedules of all VVIPs are declared more than a month in advance too.

First thing I agree our agencies have a tendency to talk too much about the things they dont need to speak.

Secondly , I am not mad anout this news cause last time IN try to aquire a site for misisle fire testing a huge environment activist row stopped that. Similar thing happen to the radar project where scared birds were in question.

So some clearification on how the ecology of the site will not be harmed or will be minimum is explained.
You are right average Joe dont give a fuk where missile is kept or how it is carried but he certainly come on the street when somebody say "save nature" ;) may be a good thing.

What happened to the "average joes" in Kundakulam? When its come to projects of strategic importance everything else takes a back seat. At the end of the day all the departments, environment, forestry, everything falls under the government, and the government can override the rules if be needed.

About the radar site, lets not forget it was this very media leak that started the protest in the first place. The project is a go from what I hear, the tree huggers and bird watchers can keep protesting.

I for one don't buy this excuse that these information are leaked in the media to quell the "public" protests.

About the road accident , sir I dont know from where you get the idea of sabotoge. But the types of convoy I have seen it is not possible without a gun fight.

And more over the visits and schedules of all VVIPs are declared more than a month in advance too.

All it takes is a head on swerving truck to create that accident, no gun fights needed. We need to have proper pilot vehicles, cordon vehicles, when transporting oversized loads of strategic importance. Leaving it to private transporters is just not done.

There are other ways of addressing the "public" concerns, but giving out every damned detail in the media is just not it.

Hey, man, as I said earlier; there is just nothing to make a "song and dance" about. There is no road, just as there is no dredged channel to shift the missiles. Most importantly, there is even no mssile test-site at Sarlagonda yet. So there is just nothing to be transported nowwhere!!!!

Please do read the report carefully. It is all into the future. And it is slated to be a "missile test-range" not even an operational missile site.

Why are people just "flying off the handle" just like that....... :)

As I said Captain, its not about just this particular issue. There are many other instances where our officials and scientists have given out information which any other country would hold on to as a top secret.

I fail to see the rationale behind it.

What happened to the "average joes" in Kundakulam? When its come to projects of strategic importance everything else takes a back seat. At the end of the day all the departments, environment, forestry, everything falls under the government, and they can override the rules if be needed.

About the radar site, lets not forget it was this very media leak that started the protest in the first place. The project is a go from what I hear, the tree huggers and bird watchers can keep protesting.

I for one don't buy this excuse that these information are leaked in the media to quell the "public" protests.

All it takes is a head on swerving truck to create that accident, no gun fights needed. We need to have proper pilot vehicles, cordon vehicles, when transporting oversized loads of strategic importance. Leaving it to private transporters is just not done.

There are other ways of addressing the "public" concerns, but giving out every damned detail in the media is just not it.

Radar project is definatlly NOT going to be on the same island.

Yes "gear box" was on private transport as we don't have that kinda Vehicle with force. But that Vehical can never be alone. If you can prove the truck was alone I am with you.

On one note a cargo truck over turn on NH-4 , people rush to help. But before people reach to truck 5/6 armed men in uniform came out if it and stopped people from coming close to the truck. They blocked one lane till police came. And after some phone-phone business they allowed police to move the truck with crane. 3 of them were injured. I was there 2/3 hours watching it with my tea and cig :smokin:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom