What's new

Death Of The Liberal Turkish Dream

Erdogan can try his best to Islamize Turkey but the people are educated and intellectual enough to think for themselves. Turkey is still very much modernized and liberal, just look at Istanbul and Izmir for example.

Erdogan can try his best to Islamize Turkey but the people are educated and intellectual enough to think for themselves. Turkey is still very much modernized and liberal, just look at Istanbul and Izmir for example.
But Erdo's new school plan is all for Islamism, right? A generation of that and you'll be set back as much as Pakistan was due to Zia, yes?

I support him mainly because everyone in Europe and US hates him :)
And because there have been tremendous economic development during his first 10 years. And he is just hilarously self confident, he simply doesn't give a rats *** about how his words will affect relationships. He thinks this is the second coming of the Ottoman empire. He is just too interesting to let go mate :D

Who said we do? Most of us are proud muslims.
What is this secular and atheist kind of things that other Turkish members are posting?

It seems like the people that were blessed to be born Muslim all want to act like white European people. Meanwhile, many people with strong faith across the world are becoming Muslim.

It makes me sad to see Turkish members here saying they are atheist and secular to try and impress European trolls on this website. I guess I am conservative and people can call me Islamist. But I love Allah swt, and Islam. It is a part of my culture as well as national culture.

Out of all people I love Turkish people, but from what I read here and certain members posting, it feels like the Turkish people don't want to be associated with Islam anymore. And that makes me sad. I live in US, but I never tried to become like a white person or hate my culture, religion, or race.

Ramazaan Mubarak. Ramazaan Kareem.

Turkey was one country which was some how not affected by radical islam partly due to its military. But good things dont last long, they have to come to an end. It was just a question of when. Its time they joined their other countries which have embraced fundamentalism.
It was Ben Franklin who told Americans that their post-British government was, "A Republic, if you can keep it."

Keeping a republic requires attention and devotion by its citizens - perhaps most especially, monitoring those who wield power and being ready to check their abuses. An elected politician who tries to pack police forces with favorites and use them against the electorate to maintain and expand his power thus has to be defied - democratically. That can be done by starting over again with new elected officials in defiance of the order which the new tyrant defiled.

What is this secular and atheist kind of things that other Turkish members are posting?

It seems like the people that were blessed to be born Muslim all want to act like white European people. Meanwhile, many people with strong faith across the world are becoming Muslim.

It makes me sad to see Turkish members here saying they are atheist and secular to try and impress European trolls on this website. I guess I am conservative and people can call me Islamist. But I love Allah swt, and Islam. It is a part of my culture as well as national culture.

Out of all people I love Turkish people, but from what I read here and certain members posting, it feels like the Turkish people don't want to be associated with Islam anymore. And that makes me sad. I live in US, but I never tried to become like a white person or hate my culture, religion, or race.

Ramazaan Mubarak. Ramazaan Kareem.

Are you talking about me brother? There is no doubt that I'm a Muslim.

It makes me sad to see Turkish members here saying they are atheist and secular to try and impress European trolls on this website
I have never stumbled upon such Turks on PDF, we are all proud of our heritage, except 1 or two we are all Muslim alhamdulillah and proud of it. Don't generalize on outliers, you need to visit Turkey and see it for yourself. We are all aware of our Islamic heritage and we carried the crescent flag with dignity and faith for centuries when all else depended on our strenght. Allah granted us the gift during the dark ages to defend his faith on Earth.

But religion for Turks is a private matter mostly, we don't judge him or her based on whether he prays or fasts, that's Allah's judgement, not ours.

Turkish moral and ethical codex is very unique. Even if you are not religious, respect for the elders, helping the weak and needy, approaching foreigners with warmth and welcoming, national patriotism are solid values, that's been ingrained in our culture for many centuries. These come from a civilization that through several trial and errors, surfaced in what is today acknowledged as Turkey. Anyone who visits Istanbul or anywhere in Anatolia will understand this first hand. Regards and Ramazan mübarek

Last edited:
Turkish moral and ethical codex is very unique. Even if you are not religious, respect for the elders, helping the weak and needy, approaching foreigners with warmth and welcoming, national patriotism are solid values, that's been ingrained in our culture for many centuries. These come from a civilization that through several trial and errors, surfaced in what is today acknowledged as Turkey. Anyone who visits Istanbul or anywhere in Anatolia will understand this first hand. Regards and Ramazan mübarek
So I've heard! But the cruelty of ISIS is proof that rampant Islamism destroys all such things. Erdo may be acting more slowly in Turkey itself because he doesn't have crude oil teats to suck from but he's moving in that direction nonetheless, right?

So I've heard! But the cruelty of ISIS is proof that rampant Islamism destroys all such things. Erdo may be acting more slowly in Turkey itself because he doesn't have crude oil teats to suck from but he's moving in that direction nonetheless, right?
Buddy, Erdogan, however despotic and "islamist", is a far far cry from radicals such as ISIS. Erdogan is very nostalgic about the Ottoman Empire, and he truly believes Turks and the Ottomans are unique in their interpretation of statehood and citizenry - there is a longing for everything Ottoman right now in Turkey, from tv shows to clothing to language.
Even the most religious Muslims in Turkey are very liberal in their interpretation of Islam - including Erdogan.

Fears of "radicalisation" like those we see in the Arabic peninsula will never occur in Turkey. A tiny "christian" country like Belgium sends way more terrorists to ISIS than "muslim" Turkey, go figure. Our way of life, view of life and civilizations are completely seperate. It's a cultural thing, and Turkish are mostly wonderful human beings, therefore, again you need to come down here to witness it for yourself.

As one user remarked. Yes, the closest thing to Turkish culture is probably the current Japanese. Our codex are very reminiscent. Respect is of utmost importance, and gender roles are, however secular, rigid, and it has nothing to do with Islamic religion, perhaps you could call it civil religion

Last edited:
Turkey's transformation into an Islamic theocracy (under Erdogan's tenure) reminds me of the boiling frog story. The process is unfolding slowly but surely.

It makes me sad to see Turkish members here saying they are atheist and secular to try and impress European trolls on this website.
We Turks do not care what others think about us,we dont need to impress anyone.
Your problem is that you do not accept other(religion) or none believers.
No matter what religion,we Turks Always stand together.
Look at your country and see what mixing religion in politics brought you.
I dont care if you believe or not,the important thing is that you are Pakistani(thats how we think).
I know its hard to understand for someone like you,an ''Islamist''.

Last edited:
Just because i support secularism doesn't mean i'm a *European* wannabe or against islam.

You simply put your religion in the first place and i put my national identity but that doesn't mean i'm an atheist i never said that.

Don't get me wrong i love Pakistanis but don't talk about these matters if u have absolutely no idea.

Fears of "radicalisation" like those we see in the Arabic peninsula will never occur in Turkey. A tiny "christian" country like Belgium sends way more terrorists to ISIS than "muslim" Turkey, go figure. Our way of life, view of life and civilizations are completely seperate. It's a cultural thing, and Turkish are mostly wonderful human beings, therefore, again you need to come down here to witness it for yourself.

Well explained friend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom