cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
CRPF asks govt to replace Insas guns with AK rifles

Deeptiman Tiwary, TNN

Nov 13, 2014, 05.30AM IST

NEW DELHI: At a time when Prime Minister Narendra Modi is stressing on 'Make in India', CRPF has said bye-bye to locally made Insas rifles. The largest force fighting Maoists has written to the government to replace all Insas rifles it uses with AK (47/56) rifles because of the former's poor operational quality.

CRPF has said the gun gets frequently jammed at crucial times and is a danger to the life of jawans during anti-Naxal and anti-insurgency operations. The move, if approved by the government, would mean massive procurement of AK guns in the years to come as over 40% of guns used by the three lakh strong force are Insas rifles.

"We have sent a proposal to the government that all Insas rifles with the force be replaced by AK rifles. The Insas has a problem of jamming. Compared to AK and X-95 guns, Insas fails far more frequently. While the error percentage in AK guns is 0.02%, in Insas it is 3%," CRPF DG Dilip Trivedi said.

Sources said the force is expected to use the inferior quality Insas guns just because it is indigenously produced by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO). "The government must ponder if it's okay to lose the lives of our jawans to promote a faulty indigenous gun," said another CRPF officer.

The move is a fallout of the government's push to the forces to launch all-out offensive against Maoists. This has resulted in the force increasingly using area weapons such as 81 mm mortar guns and automatic grenade launchers. "While we had these guns earlier, we used them sparingly. However, now we have done extensive training with BSF and are using them more and more," Trivedi said.

Mine protected vehicles (MPVs), however, are not finding favour with the force with the vehicles being increasingly proving ineffective due to the massiveamount of explosives used by Maoists in a mine. Ironically, they are now being used on those roads which have been checked by a road opening party and cleared of mines. "MPVs are to be used sparingly and only when we are sure there is no mine under the road. Maoists are using as much as 100 kg of explosives in a mine, making the utility of MPVs ineffective," Trivedi said.

Yes must be done asap,,,insas is quite simply not good enough in 2014.
Army will get multi calibre rifles soon enough in few years for sure,,,maybe crpf will be upgraded too

INSAS was having jamming problems back in 99 Kargil. Still having them looks like our whole defence industry is worth its value in scrap

On topic: How come it is not good enough for the CRPF, when it is the standard rifle of the infantry?

@vk17 : Could you explain?

In all seriousness...the army is getting the newer variants of the INSAS. The older ones were mostly moved to the crpf inventory...I've seen them in action in my home state.... Most of those insases are banged up like hell.. More than anything it doesnt fit the coin profile at all...

I'd also like to question the veracity of this, having fired a fair share of mags downrange myself... The insas has its problems... The trigger is a real bitch..but it really doesnt jam much.
Are the CRPF taking proper care of their weapons? Police forces are notorious for not doing so.

INSAS won't be much better, since it doesn't really work.

Than why cry after BSF fired from their INSAS and you went to UN, USA :lol:

For close combat AK is better. CRPF is inside kashmir not on border so they need close combat weapons against militants.

Far Right Wing here. In my previous life I was Denikin. :D :devil: :devil:

You a Right-Winger ? :undecided:

Nahhh I don't think so; you haven't the guts to be one....you'd squeal like a girl or jump into your wife's arms at the mere crackling of a fire-cracker tou right-wing honeiii keh liyee to baraa jigar chahiyee hotaa haii ! :unsure:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom