What's new

End of the line for the Insas rifle

How many of you have range tested the INSAS? I wish I had so that I could comment on its performance like most have. Maybe @sandy_3126 could give a balanced analysis on that particular weapon in comparison to weapons used by other military's.

Will there be an INSAS fading out ceremony by Indian Army as Sachin's farewell is taking place. After all, INSAS served Indian Army for a long time.

@sandy_3126

I would LOVE to see this varient become a reality:

74619442150912518367681.jpg

^^^ Which Assault Rifle is this? 
Now give this rifles to the police and change the .303 rifles. specially to the city and metro polices.

One News; recently on one Independent leader (forget name) who punshied of death by hanging at low age; in respect police fire bullet with .303 and bullet did not fired due to its out of date life.

Agreed.......................... 
KOLKATA: After nearly two decades in service, the Insas rifle — the mainstay of Indian security forces — is on its way out.

Launched in 1994 by Rifle Factory, Ishapore (RFI), the weapon underwent further development over the years and faced its acid test during the Kargil conflict five years later. Now, RFI is in the process of winding up the production line and concentrating on development of a multi-caliber weapon designed by the Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) in Pune.

"The Insas rifle proved its worth over the last 20 years. It will continue to serve for some more time till the multi-barrel rifle goes into production. We still recall the day when RFI supplied the first batch of 4,000 rifles to the Army in March, 1994. There were initial hiccups but the glitches were gradually ironed out. There was extreme pressure during the Kargil Conflict as damaged and jammed weapons returned to the factory and fresh lots had to be sent out. Workers at Ishapore worked day and night to repair and clean the guns and make them battle-ready," an official
said.

After meeting the country's war reserves, RFI started meeting the demands of central paramilitary forces. Finally, state police forces also replaced their 7.62 mm self loading rifles with the lighter 5.56 mm Insas. "At that time, it was the only answer to the AK-47 assault rifles used by terrorists and enemy soldiers. The 7.62 mm SLRs — also manufactured at Ishapore — were far too heavy and un-maneuverable for the infantry soldier to react fast enough. The concept of battle also changed. It was no longer thought necessary to kill an enemy soldier with a heavy- caliber 7.62 mm slug. Strategists suggested that it would be better to injure the enemy with a lighter 5.56 mm one and leave him. This would burden his comrades as they wouldn't be able to leave him lying behind in that condition.

Today, a more advanced weapon in required," the official added. A multi-caliber assault rifle (MCAR) can be used to fire different rounds, depending on the range a soldier wants to achieve and the damage he wishes to cause. In November, 2011, the Army floated a tender for the supply of MCARs. Apart from supply, the deal envisaged manufacture of the weapons in India under
licence. Several international arms manufacturers participated in the tender.

"This is a major challenge for us. The Army wants over 65,000 MCARs in the first lot and 100,000 more to be manufactured under licence in India. We will have to come up with a rifle that can clear user trials. If this doesn't happen, the Army will have to depend on supplies from abroad. Even if one were to assume that the deal is clean, it would be a big blow for a factory like ours. We can't survive without bulk orders from the defence forces. We are now working very hard to develop an indigenous MCAR as per the
ARDE's design
," another official said.

End of the line for the Insas rifle - The Times of India

Thanks for Info

Last edited:
I blame DRDO & OFB for not cumming up with a Successor to the INSAS
We are Probably the only country which is Building Nuke subs,ACs,Ballistic Missile
Which is buying Rifles from outside
& don't say America also buys
We are Buying to equip our regular Army

Exactly.

I heard an interview of Gen V K Singh. He praised INSAS a lot. He said that INSAS was a very good rifle and fire very flat. But no body visualize the need of future at that time. That is why we are here today without any contemporary gun.

I know you're a massive gun lover sir and I have a pretty keen interest in firearms myself. I'd love to see what a US gunsmith/fabricaters could do with the INSAS in terms of improvements and accessories. I've seen the likes of Red Jacket Firearms do some pretty wild things with rifles. 

Should be with IA trail teams.
If everything goes as planned , i will soon have a Tar21 Tavor Semi auto... that will be fun, I had to relocate last year, or I would have bought a Ishapore SMLE, Still looking for one , hopefully someday will find a jungle carbine like the one @Irfan Baloch has.

If I someday get an insas, my wish would be to replace the furniture with nice light red oak finish... turn it into a beauty.... 
If fanboys can do this
why the DRDO & OFB with all the TOT & Manpower in the world cannot
Modify this
I thought OFB did that for some show.... anyways lets not bash Drdo OFB for this one...

If fanboys can do this
why the DRDO & OFB with all the TOT & Manpower in the world cannot
Modify this

It's not real.

And ARDE made lot of different branches, off of the original INSAS. None of them were excepted.

dsc02801m.jpg

Excalibur

MSMC+Poster.JPG

bF0Nk.jpg

550602_407347549330932_328460616_n.jpg

MSMC

AMOGH_-_Carbine.JPG

Amogh

r556kalantak07foldableb.jpg

DvqRhkm.jpg

Kalantak

All of the above are offsprings from the INSAS experience.

Last edited:
If everything goes as planned , i will soon have a Tar21 Tavor Semi auto... that will be fun, I had to relocate last year, or I would have bought a Ishapore SMLE, Still looking for one , hopefully someday will find a jungle carbine like the one @Irfan Baloch has.

If I someday get an insas, my wish would be to replace the furniture with nice light red oak finish... turn it into a beauty.... 

I thought OFB did that for some show.... anyways lets not bash Drdo OFB for this one...

I also own a jungle carbine... And saw the Ishapore website... looks like they produced/produce a really ugly version of the Jungle Carbine:

Ishapore :

kk.jpg

The real deal:

jj.jpg

The Ishapore "Jungle Carbines" are heavy, a little rough, sometimes problematic, (especially mags), not much in the way of warranties, have shitty sights, don't usually shoot great groups, and kick too much for the cartridge.

@sandy_3126

I would LOVE to see this varient become a reality:

74619442150912518367681.jpg

Buy some parts n voila...

Last edited:
Now give this rifles to the police and change the .303 rifles. specially to the city and metro polices.

One News; recently on one Independent leader (forget name) who punshied of death by hanging at low age; in respect police fire bullet with .303 and bullet did not fired due to its out of date life.

The article doesn't say otherwise; the title is only about the imminent phasing out of INSAS from the armed forces.

BTW, India's CAPFs themselves are a million plus strong, if not more. I hope they keep using INSAS for a long time to come, because frankly these are more than good enough for the job. And I wish they issue these INSAS to all state forces - it is pathetic to see some of them armed with WW2 relics. The INSAS is cheap, fully indegenous and rugged.

Insas had problem of heat, jamming and weight . I heard this news of India going for latest version of ka and licence to build them, that must be deferred for years. Pathetic. India should learn to make own rifle at least. With all the Russian Israel and euro help can make own weapon that's preposterous.

@Abingdonboy do these posts remind you of something?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom