What's new

Could Ranjeet Singh's statue in Lahore be torn down like the statues of tyrants in the West?

Aik Punjabi supermacy ki tweet tumhain itni kyon takleef da rhi 1 saal sa?

mujhe to barson ka bola ek jumla kay Karachi walay zinda laash hain wo ajtak khattak raha ha ye to phir 1 saal purani baat

sayeen never forgets

issi khoshi ma paan khaya ..... tambakoo, qiwam ya ilachi ?

Zafar Mirza ne mangwaya tha abhi India se with health supplies. acha tha apko nahi mila?

I praised Ranjit singh for Justice? Where? o_O
He was a Knee jerk reaction of the Punjab KPK Kashmir against the onslaught from Durranis.
And he expelled them from these lands.
And he was a son of punjab.
Tyrant or not is debateable. There are so mamy versions that i cant really say which one is conclusively true. So that is that. nothing more nothing less.
We can condemn Ranjeet singh as a ruler. No doubt about it. There are various sources who portray him as such.
But can we deny that he rose from this very land we live in and expelled the Durranis?
History is never Black and white. their is always gray. But he definitely never made Minarates of heads of beheaded enemies did he?

Maybe I mixed up or you didn't but even this post potrays that the you believe he was better then other, bcoz he didn't build minarate with skulls, it's same behaviour which Aytollah terrorists peddles, who think their MBRLs on cities full of civilians are halal but suicide bombing is haram, I don't support either.

I think this is not so much about "worshipping" but acnowledging history as was. The important thing to keep in my mind is coterminous Pakistan has it's own unique history. All too often it's looked at through the prism of South Asia. Fact is our experiance with British Raj or "India" only began in 1849. We were peripheral to the so called Indian war of independance which only took place 8 years later.

Even within coterminous Pakistan each region has it's own experiance and tale to tell. Sindh for example had it's own history when they were invaded and "Made Indian" in 1843. Point being Mir Jaffer, Tipu Sultan etc are all foreign experiances for coterminous Pakistan and should NOT be included in the story of Pakistan.

I agree with you, I am not those who deny history. I don't say that Pakistanis shouldn't own up Ranjit Singh's empire as part of the history of this land. My point was, why do we need the statue of someone who butchered many ancestors of Pakistanis, when we have so many less controversial examples of sons of the soil to choose from. We can acknowledge him without putting him on a pedestal. There is a reason why many Punjabi Muslim chiefs helped the British against the Sikhs.

What modest? Indians are notorious for bragging about Indian success story.

- PRTP GWD
Agreed, we boast a lot needlessly. We haven't reached any kind of superpower status. Our GDP per capita is not at all upto the mark. The only reason countries take us seriously is because we are militarily powerful.

You can see on PDF itself. Elsewhere it's worse.

- PRTP GWD

Agreed, we boast a lot needlessly. We haven't reached any kind of superpower status. Our GDP per capita is not at all upto the mark. The only reason countries take us seriously is because we are militarily powerful.
Sarcasm or do you mean it?

- PRTP GWD

I agree with you, I am not those who deny history. I don't say that Pakistanis shouldn't own up Ranjit Singh's empire as part of the history of this land. My point was, why do we need the statue of someone who butchered many ancestors of Pakistanis, when we have so many less controversial examples of sons of the soil to choose from. We can acknowledge him without putting him on a pedestal. There is a reason why many Punjabi Muslim chiefs helped the British against the Sikhs.
I am well aware of what Ranjit did with mosques etc. In my my part of Pakistan I am aware from personal histories [by word of mouth] that many women [you can often see very fair Sikhs] were taken by Sikhs. Manshera, Haripur etc are named from that period. However I am also cognizant that history should acknowledge everything. We should not redact it. As regards his statue I think it's a good idea. We are in 2020. It suits us to leverage the Sikhs of India. They are a potential future trouble for India. Many Sikhs in west want khalistan. So just to shove a finger up the back of .....s it's a good realpolitical move to have that statue. It helps to burn the Khalistani issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am well aware of what Ranjit did with mosques etc. In my my part of Pakistan I am aware from personal histories [by word of mouth] that many women [you can often see very fair Sikhs] were taken by Sikhs. Manshera, Haripur etc are named from that period. However I am also cognizant that history should acknowledge everything. We should not redact it. As regards his statue I think it's a good idea. We are in 2020. It suits us to leverage the Sikhs of India. They are a potential future trouble for India. Many Sikhs in west want khalistan. So just to shove a finger up the back of Gangu's it's a good realpolitical move to have that statue. It helps to burn the Khalistani issue.
Reported.

The only reason countries take us seriously is because we are militarily powerful.

India is neither militarily nor economically powerful.

The only reason why countries take India seriously is because India has good labor and good market.

This is the same reason why British East India Company came to India.

Many Sikhs in west want khalistan.
Are they willing to come here?

Also, I recently shared a map of the Sikh empire at its peak. Guess where the majority of its territory lies? You actually even replied to that post.

Manshera, Haripur etc are named from that period.
Can you expand on this?

I am well aware of what Ranjit did with mosques etc.
Do you know that Maharaja Ranjit Singh built a mosque (Masjid-e-Tawaifan) for his Muslim wife (Moran Sarkar)? He also didn't convert her to Sikhism.

Back
Top Bottom