What's new

Can drone strikes bring success for Pakistan?

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
In the past, it has been confirmed that the ISI had been kept out of the loop for the US's drone campaign. Pakistan did not know what the targets for the drone strikes would be beforehand. This resulted in a lot of innocent people getting killed in drone strikes (tribal elders, children being killed) & the terrorist networks remaining intact, & then huge embarrassment for the Pakistani administration. As a result of these terror groups of remaining intact, the war in Afghanistan's eastern provinces only intensified, which showed how ineffective the drone campaign in Pakistan had been.

As the PNS Mehran incident & the Osama bin Laden incident have shown, Pakistan has finally realized that there is no good or bad Taliban in FATA. The groups the ISI tried to woo on its side (the "good Taliban": Haqqani group, Waziri [Mullah Nazir, Hafiz Gul Bahadur] group) to isolate the TTP Mehsud group have strong ties with Al-Qaeda, & Al-Qaeda is a huge threat to Pakistan, even if the Haqqani & the Mullah Nazir/Hafiz Gul Bahadur group aren't by themselves. This has resulted in a huge policy shift for the ISI, & they are now going after the groups they consider the "good Taliban" as well.

US Predators strike 3 targets in South Waziristan - The Long War Journal (Mullah Nazir group, the so-called "good Taliban" being targeted as well, which didn't happen in the past)

The US has undergone a radical change of policy as well. Instead of viewing the ISI suspiciously, accusing them of double dealing & keeping the ISI out of the loop, the US has stated that "joint co-operation" between both nations is taking place now.

When the ISI was kept out of the loop, most of the drone strikes were concentrated in North Waziristan, but as the ISI has more in-depth intelligence networks inside all parts of FATA, the drone strikes can finally start leading to some success. As drone strikes are extending to a bigger areas in FATA right now (in as South Waziristan as well) with most probably targets & intelligence provided by the ISI, the drone campaign is starting to yield real rewards for both the US & Pakistan, as mostly terrorists are being killed in these drone strikes now.

I believe the US partnership with Pakistan can result in success for both countries. If Pakistan has limited military resources to deal with all the terrorist networks in the FATA, they can provide the US with intelligence on the targets for the drone strikes, & this can work out well for Pakistan in removing the anti-state terror groups from its soil. I see this as a very good opportunity for Pakistan.

In the past, it has been confirmed that the ISI had been kept out of the loop for the US's drone campaign. Pakistan did not know what the targets for the drone strikes would be beforehand. .

With respect, confirmed by who? Patterson, Kayani and Gilani seem to disagree with your statment.

Strange but i thought the reason the drones were limited to Waziristan was that was the box the ISI was allowing them to hunt in?

With respect, confirmed by who? Patterson, Kayani and Gilani seem to disagree with your statment.

Strange but i thought the reason the drones were limited to Waziristan was that was the box the ISI was allowing them to hunt in?

Intelligence was never shared with the ISI about where the drones would strike, & that is an undisputed fact agreed by both US & Pakistani officials. The terror groups are not limited to North Waziristan, but many other parts of the FATA as well.

no i dont think so dude, drones kill innocents too, if 1 terrorist is killed, then 5 innocents are killed too, and what are their families gonna do? love usa or hate them or take revenge.

Drone justice vs Chief justice

Drone has killed 1000 terrorist

CJ has released more than 3000 terrorist

Back
Top Bottom