What's new

Can Bangladesh overtake Pakistan's economy in size?

Pakistan has two big factors in their favour - 1) a long head start as a nation; 2) much bigger land, blessed with a lot of natural resources

Pakistan does not have a "long" head start as you are trying to say. It is just 25 years before Bangladesh. Pakistan is busy in wars & instability since 1947 which is not the case with Bangladesh. Still Pakistan's economy manage to reach 264-300billion$ in 2014. Tourism in North Pakistan alone have potential to earn billions of $.

bd does not have twice gdp/capita of pakistan ...

Dude I meant GDP/capita growth rate and not total figure.

This was on the context of could BD catch up with Pakistan and my answer is that will almost certainly happen before the end of this decade.

Pakistan does not have a "long" head start as you are trying to say. It is just 25 years before Bangladesh. Pakistan is busy in wars & instability since 1947 which is not the case with Bangladesh. Still Pakistan's economy manage to reach 264-300billion$ in 2014. Tourism in North Pakistan alone have potential to earn billions of $.

Dude, 24 years is a hell of a long time.

At BD's current growth rate, in 24 years GDP/capita would be around 5000 dollars.

Last edited:
Dude I meant GDP/capita growth rate and not total figure.

This was on the context of could BD catch up with Pakistan and my answer is that will almost certainly happen before the end of this decade.
there is no such thing as gdp/capita growth rate. :pop:

there is no such thing as gdp/capita growth rate. :pop:

Of course there is when you strip out population growth.

Pakistan has a population growth rate nearly 1% higher than BD and so just looking at GDP growth rate does not tell you accurately the change in development.

Of course there is when you strip out population growth.

Pakistan has a population growth rate nearly 1% higher than BD and so just looking at GDP growth rate does not tell you accurately the change in development.
ah ok.

I shall be happy for Bangladeshi brothers if / when they overtake Pakistan in per capita GDP. I doubt if BD would ever be a more prosperous country than Pakistan. Just the natural / land resources in Pakistan are too much.

There are challenges for both economies. For Pakistan it is a matter of instability driven by ideology / ethnicity / corruption / political issues. For Bangladesh it is about global warming, rising sea-levels, and of course political instability.

When has Bangladesh ever reached 8% growth rate? I think you are day dreaming. Bangladesh is going to take a big hit economically if Bangladesh keeps on annoying the Americans and the Europeans. I do not see Bangladesh over taking the Pakistan economy unless it becomes independent from the Indian economy. There is certainly the potential for Bangladesh to surpass Pakistan but we do not have the political leadership or foresight to achieve that.

care to explain how you will grow by isolating your economy from your only neighbour?

In my opinion, it should be other way around... that is you grow much quicker by being aggressive trading partner with India.

I shall be happy for Bangladeshi brothers if / when they overtake Pakistan in per capita GDP. I doubt if BD would ever be a more prosperous country than Pakistan. Just the natural / land resources in Pakistan are too much.

There are challenges for both economies. For Pakistan it is a matter of instability driven by ideology / ethnicity / corruption / political issues. For Bangladesh it is about global warming, rising sea-levels, and of course political instability.

Thanks for your words but I beg to disagree.

If you look at countries like Germany and Japan, they are some of the richest countries in the world but also very poor in natural resources and land(especially in the case of Japan).

I am of the opinion that BD would overtake Pakistan in GDP/capita by the end of this decade but it is quite possible that Pakistan could easily outgrow BD in the next decade, as it would overcome it's current difficulties and really start using it's vastly greater natural resources to develop it's economy faster than BD.

Anyway, hope that Pakistan can sort it's internal issues as it would be great to see a race between BD and Pakistan as to who can grow quicker and of course get more prosperous than the Indians as well.:D

care to explain how you will grow by isolating your economy from your only neighbour?

In my opinion, it should be other way around... that is you grow much quicker by being aggressive trading partner with India.

India does not want a prosperous BD as that would call into question the whole idea of a multi-ethnic India.

BD would not be growing at 8%+ if it was not for the Indian interference that has caused the current political instability.

Thanks for your words but I beg to disagree.

If you look at countries like Germany and Japan, they are some of the richest countries in the world but also very poor in natural resources and land(especially in the case of Japan).

I am of the opinion that BD would overtake Pakistan in GDP/capita by the end of this decade but it is quite possible that Pakistan could easily outgrow BD in the next decade, as it would overcome it's current difficulties and really start using it's vastly greater natural resources to develop it's economy faster than BD.

Anyway, hope that Pakistan can sort it's internal issues as it would be great to see a race between BD and Pakistan as to who can grow quicker and of course get more prosperous than the Indians as well.:D

India does not want a prosperous BD as that would call into question the whole idea of a multi-ethnic India.

BD would not be growing at 8%+ if it was not for the Indian interference that has caused the current political instability.

That is the most stupid reason
& every big nieghbour interfares in the small ones matters
We would rather see a developed BD because we don't want a refugee crisis on our Border

That is the most stupid reason
& every big nieghbour interfares in the small ones matters
We would rather see a developed BD because we don't want a refugee crisis on our Border

A prosperous BD would call into question the whole point of having a multi-ethnic India.

If multi-ethnic state is correlated with being poor, then Indians would not to be in such a union.

Right now, since BD is also poor like India, then this problem for India does not arise as Sri Lanka can be seen as an aberration.

A prosperous BD would call into question the whole point of having a multi-ethnic India.

If multi-ethnic state is correlated with being poor, then Indians would not to be in such a union.

Right now, since BD is also poor like India, then this problem for India does not arise as Sri Lanka can be seen as an aberration.

you are expecting too much bro. its BD we are talking about. time will tell us

Indian interference has ruined BD's chances of 8%+ GDP growth this decade.

Hopefully BD will have more patriotic politicians in the future.

India saved Bangladesh from terrorists ...

There is an awami fallacy in BD that PK gets free aids from USA and ME, but it does not come free at all. Pk has some genuine strategic offers for them. All the aids PK got from US, is because PK gave facilities to USA in WOT. And now PK is offering ME defence offers.

BD is also Muslim country, then why BD does not get as much aids as PK gets.

BD's ideal competitor can be Vietnam.

Mr Bengali
Indian nationalism is far stronger than you think
& i can assure you the moment we feel that you are even close to becoming a threat
We will neutralise you
& keep dreaming
Maybe if you were working Hard Inside BD not in UK
You could have achieved 8% growth
& only a multi ethnic india can have a Space,Missile & Nuclear program
We know this

Back
Top Bottom