What's new

Can Bangladesh overtake Pakistan's economy in size?

Hmmm it will be very difficult unless something fucked up happen agaim, Pakistan already crossed $300 billion GDP. Pakistan GDP will cross $1 trillion before 2025.

Hmmm it will be very difficult unless something fucked up happen agaim, Pakistan already crossed $300 billion GDP. Pakistan GDP will cross $1 trillion before 2025.
It never crossed 300 billion$.

When might this happen?
Yes it can, but if the government of BD bets on garments to make BD an economic miracle, then it will never happen. BD needs to invest in high technology industries like electronics and shipbuilding. Infrastructure needs to given a massive boost.

When might this happen?
instead of Pakistan which is in a different region ,it would be better for Bangladesh to compete with countries in its region like India ,Thailand, Myanmar, Sri lanka , Malaysia etc
for Pakistan it should be India, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, China, Iran, Oman, Uae,Turkey etc
different regions different geo-political dynamics, its as simple as that

It can but Pakistan is about to give tough competition

Yes it can, but if the government of BD bets on garments to make BD an economic miracle, then it will never happen. BD needs to invest in high technology industries like electronics and shipbuilding. Infrastructure needs to given a massive boost.
BD should enter call center industry which created India's economic boom.

instead of Pakistan which is in a different region ,it would be better for Bangladesh to compete with countries in its region like India ,Thailand, Myanmar, Sri lanka , Malaysia etc
for Pakistan it should be India, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, China, Iran, Oman, Uae,Turkey etc

I agree with you some Bangladeshi members are too much worried about competing with Pakistan....they should compete with countries in their region...I won't suggest Turkey cuz its not our immediate neighbor but yes the other countries you mentioned are in our neighborhood...cooperation and competition with then would be healthy !!!

Thailand and Malaysia are far away from us and not in our region. Also there are mountains providing a natural barrier between Bangladesh and SEA. India is too big and wouldn't be a fair comparison. It leaves us with Pakistan to judge our performance by.

By the way, Bangladesh is growing annually at 6-7% while Pakistan a meagre 3%, and if these rates continue for a few more years then Bangladesh will surely overtake it. I do accept that we need to focus on high-end industries but shouldn't overlook existing ones that give is a competitive edge. Wages in China are increasing fast and some Western companies who had previously invested in that country for garments are now looking for alternative destinations, so Bangladesh should try to capitalise. Remember, growth in one industry can lead to growth in other non-related industries as added revenue comes to the government to use for education, investment in other sectors.

Unlike Pakistan, which gets a helping hand from India and Iran, Bangladesh has managed to grow on its own. Pakistan is also blessed with a lot of natural resources, and it also receives huge amount of aid from the US.

Now imagine what happens when we kill off Islamic hardliners in Bangladesh from having too much influence in the country, organising regular strikes, disrupting the way of life. I think we should shoot for near double digit growth, very manageable, I think. And don't worry, Islamic fascism is dying in Bangladesh; the people on PDF are no way representative of how most Bangladeshis think.

Last edited:
Unlike Pakistan, which gets a helping hand from India and Iran

What the heck are you talking about?

But I do wish both Pakistan and BD to grow and become prosperous and powerful...

In terms of GDP/capita, BD looks set to surpass Pakistan by the latter half of this decade.

Overall GDP will take a bit longer as Pakistan has a population that is now
30 million larger.

@karan21 : BD does have shipbuilding, pharmaceuticals, IT and electronics industries that are currently expanding. While garments cannot propel BD forever, it is useful to provide revenue for further development while the other industries develop.

Back
Top Bottom