Break Down of IAF Su-30MKI orders since 1996: PK Sengupta

The A-5

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India

November 1996: Contract inked for 40 x Su-30MKI for delivery by IRKUT Corp

December 1998: Contract inked for 10 x Su-30MKI for delivery by IRKUT Corp

December 2000: Contract inked for 140 x Su-30MKI for licenced-manufacturing by HAL

2007: Contract was signed for 40 x Su-30MKI for licenced-manufacturing by HAL

December 16, 2011: Contract inked for licenced-manufacturing of 42 x Su-30MKI by HAL

December 24, 2012: Contract signed for 42 x Su-30MKIs for delivery in semi-knocked-down condition (also known as “Delivery of 42 technological kits for Su-30MKI licenced-production”) from IRKUT Corp

The MoD-issued press release on December 24, 2012 very clearly states: Contract for Delivery of 42 technological kits for Su-30MKI aircraft licenced-production. The Protocol-II on licenced-manufacturing of additional 42 SU-30MKI aircraft units was signed during Annual Summit 2011. The current contract is a FOLLOW-UP (& not in context) to this Protocol. One must also distinguish between licenced-production (i.e. aircraft rolling out after final assembly of kits supplied by IRKUT Corp) & licenced-manufacture (i.e. aircraft rolling out after a substantial portion of its airframe, engine & accessories were manufactured by HAL from the raw materials-stage onwards).

TOTAL Ordered So Far: 314

TOTAL Delivered So Far: 50 + 119 = 169.

TOTAL IN-SERVICE TODAY: 146, due to 3 peacetime attrition losses & since the first 20 Su-30MKIs are now grounded for undergoing their mandatory 1,000-hour depot-level inspection.

Source: TRISHUL: Nirbhay Cruise Missile Family Finally Revealed!
(comments section)

Is he right or wrong:undecided:

Slight correction;
TOTAL IN-SERVICE TODAY: 146, due to 3 peacetime attrition losses & since the first 20 Su-30MKIs are now grounded for undergoing their mandatory 1,000-hour depot-level inspection.

First 20 were not the SU 30 MKI varient but SU 30 k varient. ( a less capable one)..
First 8 were vanilla SU 30 k and next 12 with a few advanced avionics.

Wasn't that s"top gap measure" till we get our MKIs in good number and training offcourse ???
They never belong to us. They were Russian

We bought them from Russia, but it had some unreliability issues and lower thrust engine.

IMO In dec 2011 India just proposed to buy 42 mkis and didn't signed any deal that time and the very same deal got signed only some days back!! So total number would remain same i.e 272.

As far as I can see Prasun hasn't accounted for the 18 Ks the IAF returned to Russia on taking delivery of the kitted out MKIs.

They are replaced by MKIs right?? but still my query is does the nos. add to 314??

@Abingdonboy @sancho is Prasun right on nos. su-30mki = 314 ordered???

No he is not, because he counted the 42 x MKI deal twice, althought the "contract" was just signed now by Putin and MMS according to the latest news.

December 16, 2011: Contract inked for licenced-manufacturing of 42 x Su-30MKI by HAL

December 24, 2012: Contract signed for 42 x Su-30MKIs for delivery in semi-knocked-down condition (also known as “Delivery of 42 technological kits for Su-30MKI licenced-production”) from IRKUT Corp

Fact sheet on Indo-Russian documents concluded during the Annual Summit 2011

Protocol No. 2 (on the Su- 30 MKI Aircraft Licensed Production Expansion in India for 42 Units)

=> An Inter-Governmental Agreement and a general contract were signed in the year 2000 for the manufacture for 140 Su-30 MKI aircraft by HAL. A 2007 Protocol envisaged manufacture of a further 40 aircraft. The present Protocol envisages manufacture by HAL of an additional 42 Su-30 MKI aircraft. Earlier, 50 Su-30 aircraft were purchased, in phases, prior to the signing of the IGA in 2000. This takes the total number of acquired or contracted aircraft in various stages of manufacture to 272.

Press Information Bureau English Releases

In 2011 we signed only a pre-agreement that we want to ad 42 additional MKIs to the HAL productionline, but the final contract about this order was just signed now, most likely because these will be upgraded MKIs and the content of the upgrade was not fixed so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe total mki ordered is 272 not 214

i believe total mki delivered to date and ready for induction is around 140 in service in 7 sqds

2-3 sqds being readied between Jan June = 50+ more mki by mid 2013

@sancho i think u r right, Prasun has committed an error while counting, he says that there was a deal for 42 sukhois in 2011 & again in 2012, but we all know that the actual deal was only for 40 sukhois & the additional 2 were only replacements for the 2 earlier crashed planes, now it doesn't make sense to again sign the deal for 40+2 = 42 planes, so if this was another follow-on deal to that of 2011, than it would have been for 40 sukhois, not 42. Thus it implies that this is the same deal as that of 2011, it just took 1 year to come to contract of the desired upgrades needed by the IAF.

Last edited by a moderator:
272.300 is overkill when rafale and pakfa, lca are coming.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom