What's new

Bin Laden Case Doctor Jailed For Militant Link, Not For Treason

Nelson

Reaction score
PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - A Pakistani doctor who helped the United States find Osama bin Laden was imprisoned for aiding militants and not for his links to the CIA, as Pakistani officials had said, according to a court document.

A court in the Khyber tribal region near the Afghan border jailed Shakil Afridi for 33 years last week.

Pakistani officials said the decision was based on treason charges for aiding the CIA in its hunt for the al Qaeda chief.

But the judgment document made available to the media on Wednesday states that Afridi was jailed because of his close ties to the banned militant group Lashkar-e-Islam, which amounts to waging war against the state.

It is unclear why Pakistani officials first said Afridi was jailed over his links to the CIA. The government may have wanted to show a largely anti American public that Pakistan will not tolerate any cooperation with the U.S. spy agency, especially at a time of troubled relations with Washington.

"There was a lot of friction because of this case with the United States. This appears to be an effort to patch things up with the United States, while also satisfying the people of Pakistan that Afridi has been punished," said Mansur Mehsud, director for research at Islamabad's FATA Research Center. "The mindset is being managed, confusion created, about what exactly he has done."

While the document said there was evidence that Afridi "has been shown acting with other foreign intelligence agencies", it noted the court in Khyber had no jurisdiction to act on that. But the court recommended that the evidence may be produced before an appropriate court for further proceedings.

The Afridi case has further strained ties between the United States and Pakistan, already damaged by a series of events, including a NATO cross-border air attack last November that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.

In Washington, government sources said the United States is exerting strenuous efforts to win Afridi's release from jail.

U.S. officials hail Afridi as a hero who helped the CIA track down bin Laden, who was killed by U.S. Navy SEALs in a raid in the Pakistani town of Abbottabad in May last year.

reuters

...... And our Pakistani members were claiming it was treason....!

I think Pakistan is very angry on this doctor, she desperately want to punish this doctor who brought such a shame to Pakistan by helping CIA to locate OBL.

LeI link was found with Umar Gul's brother too today - I wonder if these chaps are an offshoot of the CIA.

^^^Do I have to start English Coaching classes on this site now?

it is a shame that U.S.A is keeping quiet on this issue , this guy actually helped usa to nab this dreaded terrorist,and also might have saved so many life's who could have been victim's of bin ladens terror attacks .

it is a shame that U.S.A is keeping quiet on this issue , this guy actually helped usa to nab this dreaded terrorist,and also might have saved so many life's who could have been victim's of bin ladens terror attacks .

OBL was no more than a ceremonial figure in AQ, as per US.

The Tribal court is gonna sentence this doctor for helping militants. :lol:

How stupid do they think the general public is?

There's no such thing as a 'Tribal Court', I guess I'll have to teach that to every single person on this forum. Well, for your information, here's the court system in Pakistan.

Supreme Court of Pakistan (Apex court)
Federal Shariat Court of Pakistan
High Courts of Pakistan (one in each province and also in federal capital)
District Courts of Pakistan (one in each district)
Judicial Magistrate Courts (with power of Section 30 of Cr.PC only in criminal trials)
Judicial Magistrate Courts (in every town and city)
Executive Magistrate Courts (Summary trial court)
Courts of Civil Judge (judges with power of 1st class and 2nd class cases)

There's no such thing as a 'Tribal Court', I guess I'll have to teach that to every single person on this forum. Well, for your information, here's the court system in Pakistan.

Supreme Court of Pakistan (Apex court)
Federal Shariat Court of Pakistan
High Courts of Pakistan (one in each province and also in federal capital)
District Courts of Pakistan (one in each district)
Judicial Magistrate Courts (with power of Section 30 of Cr.PC only in criminal trials)
Judicial Magistrate Courts (in every town and city)
Executive Magistrate Courts (Summary trial court)
Courts of Civil Judge (judges with power of 1st class and 2nd class cases)

You are talking about areas under government jurisdiction. The tribals have their own kangaroo courts.

If this news is true,many pakistanis hve to eat their own words nd wht is happening there total disarray in handling situation

One OBL ******* every one around the world we must close this chapter for preparing other tasks.......

Back
Top Bottom