What's new

Bangladeshi Vegetarian Cuisine

Is Bangladeshi vegetarian cuisine as delicious as non-veg one?

• Total voters
I only know that rather than Muslims our Hindus cook delicious vegetable foods with the addition of many different ingredients. Even Daal in a Hindu family kitchen has some special flavor and taste. Muslims usually eat vegetable as a side dish, but sometimes also as the main dish. However, all Muslim families regularly eat Daal. I am not aware if veg has become a trend in Bangladesh. But, i believe it will be limited to a fad instead of a trend.

By the way, I tell you one story about my experience with the Hindu owner of a tasty Sweet shop in my local Faridpur Town. He asked me why a tiger is so speedy, cruel and ferocious? It is because it and others such as lion are meat-eaters. On the contrary, goats, cows and others are docile and soft because they feed on grass/vegetable.

I think he had a point. Now, you will see the Muslims are traditionally not soft in nature comparing to their Hindu neighbors. The shop owner was implying this point by saying it is so because Muslims are traditionally meat-eaters and Hindus are not.

Note also that BD Hindus are nowadays emulating Muslim traditions and are eating more and more meats. Family kitchens would certainly not cook beef, but young men would eat this forbidden item in the eateries.

Whatever BD members say actual fact is Bangladesh is becoming vegetarian country mostly.... my brother has visited this country twice and he said that whenever he went to have meals with his BD colleagues they always preferred vegetarian meals with him.... one of his BD friends who is well connected with Bangladesh ad film industry told him that it's huge trend these days among Bangladesh youths to become vegetarian... it makes them looks special... thanks to India and her teachings....

Wake up guys wake up at least after Corona.... vegetarianism is the key to healthy life.... Bangladesh has taken a step hope rest of the world follows ...

Dinner for 2 adult and 1 boy.

Lamb chops and beef kebabs. Where is the vege?

20200404_203525.jpg

@vishwambhar,

You are the one responsible for thread derailment. Maine Kya puchha, log kya jawab de rahe hai? Nobody is coming to the point. All because of you.

- PRTP GWD

List those Bangladeshi dishes that are made from strictly vegetarian ingredients with the exception of milk. Post pics and state the recipe.

Although this thread is Bangladesh-centric this is one question for which there is little chance of any Bangladeshi answer.

Edit-Add: And please list the vegetarian dishes of Bangladesh. Most members are just emphasizing their preference without giving many examples of vegetarian dishes.

Still hoping . . .

P. S.: And is it as delicious as the non-veg cuisine of Bangladesh?

- PRTP GWD

This post should have been on the "chill thread", not a thread on its own.

On your question, in Bangladeshi cuisine, vegetables are typically always cooked with one type of protein. For example- spinach stir-fry with prawns, cauliflower curry with prawn/fish, daal (Split pea or moong) with beef/mutton etc.

There are stand-alone vegetarian dishes, but as many have already pointed out, they are considered always as side-dish.

Some well known veggie dishes would be the "bhartas" (mashed potatoes, egg plant, tomatoes or whatever else anyone feels like). Then there are stir-fry items called "Bhajis" (potatores, cauliflower, cabbages, any leafy veggies or could be a mixture of multiple vegetables).

You can see a few samples here:
https://asian-recipe.com/bangladesh-vegetarian-dishes-1312
https://www.pinterest.ca/hvanschuerbeek/bangladesh-for-vegetarians-vegans/

Be advised that, the types of dishes vary from region to region and also on the religious culture.

Vege is side dish for Muslim people. A Muslim can not be vegetarian. I mean we can not sacrifice an eggplant during Eid. Can we?

This is the misconception among the Muslim people that they're not made to eat vegetables or veg is a side dish for them.... if you look at the human body then you will notice that it's not at all designed to eat non vegetarian food....

Do Muslim have canine teeth or knuckles, nails paws like a tiger???

Look at the body and especially teeth and nails structures of world predators and then look at structures of this with vegetarian species.... we are off course designed to eat vegetables.....

Muslim religion has its birth roots in Arabian peninsula which is a desert with almost equal to no vegetation which forced people to eat meat to survive and this what made Muslims believe that they are borned non vegetarians....

Like I said that some non veg eating Hindus in India are not originally non vegetarian but they have adapted themselves to this diet..... same applied to Muslims long time back....

This is the misconception among the Muslim people that they're not made to eat vegetables or veg is a side dish for them.... if you look at the human body then you will notice that it's not at all designed to eat non vegetarian food....

Look at the body and especially teeth and nails structures of world predators and then look at structures of this with vegetarian species.... we are off course designed to eat vegetables.....

Muslim religion has its birth roots in Arabian peninsula which is a desert with almost equal to no vegetation which forced people to eat meat to survive and this what made Muslims believe that they are borned non vegetarians....

Like I said that some non veg eating Hindus in India are not originally non vegetarian but they have adapted themselves to this diet..... same applied to Muslims long time back....

What about inhabitants of Europe, East Asia and Africa then? Are those regions all covered in sand?
You've really got to get a grip. Your crazy projections are signs of your deep insecurities.
There is nothing wrong with being a vegan, vegetarian or meat-lover.
You do not need everyone to turn vegetarian to feel good about yourself.
A balanced diet is key.

Do Hindus have eventoe and they chew cud? Human are designed to eat both veg and non veg. So your logic doesn't work here.

What about inhabitants of Europe, East Asia and Africa then? Are those regions all covered in sand?
You've really got to get a grip. Your crazy projections are signs of your deep insecurities.
There is nothing wrong with being a vegan, vegetarian or meat-lover.
You do not need everyone to turn vegetarian to feel good about yourself.
A balanced diet is key.
He is probably a member of iskcon, I am sure now! :)

Actually among us it's believed that onion provokes sexual desires or it provokes bad eating desires in you.... but its very healthy and not everyone sacrifice onions even if they are vegetarian.... I too love salads with onions....

In marwadis they believe that onion, potatoes and ginger are alive like animals and among them food that grows below ground is prohibited.... they eat vegetables that grows above ground....

Even India;s finance minister does not eat onions. The paronia and mental illness that makes up such food restrictions is unbelievable. I believe these food restrictions are one reason that you see that mean streak in vegeteraian hindus - that stinginess, weird aggression in trivial matters.

Even India;s finance minister does not eat onions. The paronia and mental illness that makes up such food restrictions is unbelievable. I believe these food restrictions are one reason that you see that mean streak in vegeteraian hindus - that stinginess, weird aggression in trivial matters.

LOL.

Thank you for your concerns. Please do your self a favor and take a hike.

:rofl:

My thoughts exactly - I have observed these same symptoms. Some kinda strange protein or mineral deficiency...

The kanjoosi and narrowness of mind is almost a definite indicator of these folks' mental imbalance...add to these traits some belief in stupid superstition like evidenced recently, that clanging brass dinner plates and lighting candles en-masse in India will make Corona-Virus go away, some folks are even singing anti-virus religious songs etc.

West Bengali educated Hindus are for the most part a bit different (new generation) since they started protein intake (they eat beef). Their mentality is more objective (I'd say secular) and less narrow. This is reflected in their politics which is quite anti-Hindutva.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom