What's new

Bangladesh purchases Jiangwei II frigates from China

Ruag

Reaction score
A Lot Of Warship For The Money

April 16, 2010:

Bangladesh is buying two the Chinese Jiangwei II (053H3) frigates. The export versions are called the F-22. The 342 foot long Jiangwei II displaces 2,500 tons, and carries an eight cell short range (8.6 kilometers) surface-to-air missile system, two, four cell anti-ship missile systems (200 kilometers range C-803s), one four cell launcher for rocket launched anti-submarine torpedoes, a 76.2mm gun, two 30mm anti-missiles auto-cannon, and a helicopter. Top speed is 50 kilometers an hour, crew size is 170 sailors, and each ship will cost about $200 million.

Bangladesh is expected to get a large discount, in order to improve diplomatic relations with China. The F-22 has proved to be a popular export item, as it provides a lot of warship for the money.

Surface Forces : A Lot Of Warship For The Money

Info on Jiangwei II frigates -

Type 053H3 frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't find any other source confirming this.

Last edited:
A Lot Of Warship For The Money

Surface Forces : A Lot Of Warship For The Money

Info on Jiangwei II frigates -

Type 053H3 frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
----------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't find any other source confirming this.

Twitter or whatever may be the name, it is a defence-related magazine. Considering this, it is ,more possible than not that the news is valid that BD is purchasing 2 units of Frigates from PRC at a friendship price.

2500 tonnes warships cannot be called a frigate. It's actually a corvette.

Corvette or Frigate---is not really the big concern, Jung yw. The real concern is that the damned thing is called Jiangwei---using Jia, a name not liked really by our current PM.

To understand my worry, you have to read the follwing aticle that I posted elsewhere few days back:

Shafik Rehman
April 7, 2010
How to make a state visit successful…without really trying

WHY ANY NAME LIKE 'JIA' or 'ZIA' IS UNSAFE IN BANGLADESH ?

Scene 1

Place : State meeting room, Great Hall of the People, Beijing, China
Time : Midday, 18 March 2010

Characters : Prime Minister of China (PMC),
Prime Minister of Bangladesh (PMB) and
Two interpreters

PMC : Welcome to Beijing, China. We sincerely hope that after your visit to China, Bangladesh-China relationship will attain a new height.

PMB : We also hope the same.

PMC : As determined by earlier negotiations, we are meeting here today to sign three accords and one Memorandum of Understanding.

PMB : Yes. The three accords will be on, 1. economic and technical cooperation with adequate grant, 2. framework for construction of Shahjalal Fertiliser Factory and 3. construction of the seventh Bangladesh-China Friendship Bridge. And the MOU will be on Bangladesh-China cooperation in oil and gas exploration.

PMC : Excellent. You seem to be fully aware. What else do you wish to do in Beijing ?

PMB: I would like to see the Beijing Olympic games stadium.

PMC : Yes, it is a must see. It is the world’s largest steel structure built at a cost of USD 423 million. It has been named Bird’s Nest although I am not sure whether birds actually use steel to build their nests. But, even to this date China’s biggest tourist attraction is The Great Wall. You will be surprised if you knew some facts about the Great Wall.

PMB : Would you please tell me some ?

PMC : Certainly, with pleasure. The Great Wall of China is a series of stone and earthen fortifications in northern China, built, rebuilt and maintained between the 5th century BC and the 16th century, to protect the northern borders of the Chinese empire. Since the 5th century BC, several walls have been built that were referred to as the Great Wall. The majority of the existing wall was built during the Ming Dynasty. The Great Wall stretches from Shanhaiguan in the east to Lop Nur in the west, along an arc that roughly delineates the southern edge of Inner Mongolia. The most comprehensive archaeological survey, using advanced technologies, has recently concluded that the entire Great Wall, with its branches, stretches 5,530 miles. Its maximum width is 30 feet. Just imagine that, China has been protected against foreign aggression throughout centuries by the Great Wall which is 5,530 li long and 30 feet wide. (With a smiling face) The Great Wall is one of the seven wonders of the world. But, I must tell you that, although some people think that it can be seen by naked eyes from the moon. It is not true.

PMB : I have seen the wall. It is really a wonder.

PMC : On the last day of this 5-day visit, you will be going to Kunming. There you will meet the Governor of Yunan Province, Mr Qin Guagong. Although we shall be signing three accords and one MOU today, all of them will be implemented subject to fulfillment of one pre-condition.

PMB (Surprised) : Pre-condition? What is the pre-condition? My Foreign Minister Dr Dipu Moni nor the Foreign Affairs Ministry told me anything about it.

PMC : They don’t know it. Governor Qin Guagong will let you know about it. Before that, tomorrow you will be meeting our President Hu Jintao. I hope it will be a pleasant meeting.

Scene 2

Place : Empark Grand Hotel
Time : Lunch hour, 21 March 2010

Charcaters : Governor of Yunan Province Qin Guagong (QG),
Prime Minister of Bangladesh,
Two interpreters and two food-tasters

Qin Guagong : Many thanks for accepting this invitation to lunch. You know there are some Bangladeshi residents Kunming. We could have arranged Bangladeshi food for you. But we thought you would like to have Chinese food whilst in China. Hence today’s lunch menu is made of Chinese cuisine.

PMB : You have done the right thing. But, please see that all foods are halal and there are no snakes, frogs, mice and dog meat.

QG : We have taken care of that. Only halal and poison free food and drinks will be served. We have engaged two food tasters to taste each and every item before they are served to you. We are aware that you have alleged that the army backed caretaker government of Bangladesh tried to slow food poison you when you were in sub-jail. So, we have been extra-careful in serving all food and drinks to you in China.

PMB : I have to praise your far sightedness. What will be served today ?

QG : In most dishes in Chinese cuisine, food is prepared in bite-sized pieces, ready for directly picking up and eating in traditional Chinese culture. It is easy to use chop sticks. Traditional Chinese cuisine is based on opposites whereby hot balances cold, pickled balances fresh and spicy balances mild. We start with tea and finish with tea. According to the Chinese the seven necessities of life are: firewood, rice, oil, salt, soy sauce, vinegar and tea.

PMB : I didn’t know this.

QG : We have kept knife, fork and spoon on the table. You may use them. We have also kept chop sticks. Excavations from the ruins of Yin have shown that chop sticks were in use 3,200 years ago. Chinese people, even at that time, did not use fingers to eat. It proves China had been a pioneer in introducing sophisticated manners.

PMB : I shall feel comfortable with fork and knife.

QG : Let us start then.

Food and drinks began to be served at the dining table and the two food-tasters began to taste and check.

QG (Whilst eating) : What do you know about our Prime Minister Mr Wen Jiabao ?

PMB : I know he is the sixth and current Premier of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China, serving as the head of government and leading its cabinet. He also holds membership in the Politburo Standing Committee of Communist Party of China, the country’s de facto top power organ, where he is ranked third out of nine members. (Smiling) It means he is China’s most powerful person – on the one hand he is the Premier and on the other hand he is the number three member of the Standing Committee.

QG : He did not come to this position by heredity – he reached the top by his own qualifications. He is a geologist and engineer by profession and holds a post graduate degree from the Beijing Institute of Geology. Since taking office as Premier in 2003, he has been a key part of the fourth generation of the leadership in Communist Party of China.

PMB : I was simply charmed by his talks. But nearing the end of our meeting he was somewhat mysterious. He mentioned about a pre-condition, which…..

QG : I know. Of course I shall tell you about that. But, before that, tell me, do you think this state visit has been successful? Has this visit fulfilled all your expectations?

PMB : I think, this visit has been very successful. I would be absolutely certain, if I knew that pre-condition.

QG : Don’t you want to discuss about deep seaport and Chittagong-Kunming road-rail link via Myanmar? We would like to let you know that we are helping to build deep seaports in Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. We were hoping to build one in Bangladesh.

PMB (Worried look in face) : Don’t you think India may see these four seaports as containing their country and against their interest?

QG : Of course India may think like that. If Chittagong-Kunming road-rail link is established, India may feel, Bangladesh is trying to become strategically closer with China, bypassing India. But, you have to look at the interest of your country. Our Premier had hoped that you will rise above your sentiments and you will request for our help in building a wall in your country.

PMB : Is that why he told me so much about the Great Wall of China ?

QG : Yes, indeed. We know, after your party came to power there was a mutiny in BDR in February 2009 in Dhaka. Since then, the borders of Bangladesh have been left almost defence-less. BDR members have been kept disarmed. Although, we are aware that after your return, some of them will be re-armed. But, we had thought, you would like to settle the border issue with India permanently by building a wall like ours and you would seek our assistance to do that. India is building barbed wire fences across the border. Bangladesh could have built a stone wall. It would have defended your country well and would have ended killings by BSF forces. It would have stopped smuggling. Perhaps, it would have been a tourist attraction too and earn money.

PMB : We have to think it over. India is connected with this issue. But, tell me about that pre-condition on which depends the implementation of our accords.

QG : You know that during your father’s rule, China did not give recognition to Bangladesh as an independent state. Pakistan had been China’s longstanding friend and that is why in 1971 we did not support your Liberation War. Even after Bangladesh gained independence, we did not give recognition. After the death of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, we gave recognition. When Ziaur Rahman became ruler of Bangladesh, China-Bangladesh relationship took a new turn. It was due to Ziaur Rahman’s initiative, a friendly relationship between the two countries grew up. Ziaur Rahman is dead, but, we respect him deeply.

PMB (Very annoyed) : Why are you bringing Ziaur Rahman in our talks? Is there any connection between the pre-condition and that unknown Major?

QG : Yes, there is. That is why I am talking about him. You know that, the person who shaped modern China was our great leader Deng Xiao Ping. Although his name is spelt Deng Xiao Ping, it is pronounced Deng Ziao Ping. You know our Prime Minister is Wen Jiabao. And when you will be returning to your country from Kunming, you will notice that the name of the airport is Kunming Wujiaba International Airport, which is the seventh largest airport of China. We know that you have much allergy about the name Zia. You cannot stand the name Zia and wherever you see his name, you give orders to change it. That is why our pre-condtion will be that you will not change the names of Deng Xiao Ping, Wen Jiabao, Wujiaba Airport, etc, in any accord, MOU, itinerary, programme schedule, souvenir, Jia is an indivisible part of many Chinese names and you have to keep it. That is our pre-condition.

Thanks for sharing the news.... PM was saying that Govt. has ordered two Chinese frigates this year and Chinese Govt. agreed on it.And now this source echoes it.
So that means we are going for F 22 frigates. :tup:

2500 tonnes warships cannot be called a frigate. It's actually a corvette.
But, Wiki terms it a frigate and not a corvette. Whatever may be its name, if it can fire missiles to kill enemy birds, then it is okay.

Corvette or Frigate---is not really the big concern, Jung yw. The real concern is that the damned thing is called Jiangwei---using Jia, a name not liked really by our current PM.

To understand my worry, you have to read the follwing aticle that I posted elsewhere few days back:

Shafik Rehman
April 7, 2010
How to make a state visit successful…without really trying

WHY ANY NAME LIKE 'JIA' or 'ZIA' IS UNSAFE IN BANGLADESH ?

Scene 1

Place : State meeting room, Great Hall of the People, Beijing, China
Time : Midday, 18 March 2010

Characters : Prime Minister of China (PMC),
Prime Minister of Bangladesh (PMB) and
Two interpreters

PMC : Welcome to Beijing, China. We sincerely hope that after your visit to China, Bangladesh-China relationship will attain a new height.

PMB : We also hope the same.

PMC : As determined by earlier negotiations, we are meeting here today to sign three accords and one Memorandum of Understanding.

PMB : Yes. The three accords will be on, 1. economic and technical cooperation with adequate grant, 2. framework for construction of Shahjalal Fertiliser Factory and 3. construction of the seventh Bangladesh-China Friendship Bridge. And the MOU will be on Bangladesh-China cooperation in oil and gas exploration.

PMC : Excellent. You seem to be fully aware. What else do you wish to do in Beijing ?

PMB: I would like to see the Beijing Olympic games stadium.

PMC : Yes, it is a must see. It is the world’s largest steel structure built at a cost of USD 423 million. It has been named Bird’s Nest although I am not sure whether birds actually use steel to build their nests. But, even to this date China’s biggest tourist attraction is The Great Wall. You will be surprised if you knew some facts about the Great Wall.

PMB : Would you please tell me some ?

PMC : Certainly, with pleasure. The Great Wall of China is a series of stone and earthen fortifications in northern China, built, rebuilt and maintained between the 5th century BC and the 16th century, to protect the northern borders of the Chinese empire. Since the 5th century BC, several walls have been built that were referred to as the Great Wall. The majority of the existing wall was built during the Ming Dynasty. The Great Wall stretches from Shanhaiguan in the east to Lop Nur in the west, along an arc that roughly delineates the southern edge of Inner Mongolia. The most comprehensive archaeological survey, using advanced technologies, has recently concluded that the entire Great Wall, with its branches, stretches 5,530 miles. Its maximum width is 30 feet. Just imagine that, China has been protected against foreign aggression throughout centuries by the Great Wall which is 5,530 li long and 30 feet wide. (With a smiling face) The Great Wall is one of the seven wonders of the world. But, I must tell you that, although some people think that it can be seen by naked eyes from the moon. It is not true.

PMB : I have seen the wall. It is really a wonder.

PMC : On the last day of this 5-day visit, you will be going to Kunming. There you will meet the Governor of Yunan Province, Mr Qin Guagong. Although we shall be signing three accords and one MOU today, all of them will be implemented subject to fulfillment of one pre-condition.

PMB (Surprised) : Pre-condition? What is the pre-condition? My Foreign Minister Dr Dipu Moni nor the Foreign Affairs Ministry told me anything about it.

PMC : They don’t know it. Governor Qin Guagong will let you know about it. Before that, tomorrow you will be meeting our President Hu Jintao. I hope it will be a pleasant meeting.

Scene 2

Place : Empark Grand Hotel
Time : Lunch hour, 21 March 2010

Charcaters : Governor of Yunan Province Qin Guagong (QG),
Prime Minister of Bangladesh,
Two interpreters and two food-tasters

Qin Guagong : Many thanks for accepting this invitation to lunch. You know there are some Bangladeshi residents Kunming. We could have arranged Bangladeshi food for you. But we thought you would like to have Chinese food whilst in China. Hence today’s lunch menu is made of Chinese cuisine.

PMB : You have done the right thing. But, please see that all foods are halal and there are no snakes, frogs, mice and dog meat.

QG : We have taken care of that. Only halal and poison free food and drinks will be served. We have engaged two food tasters to taste each and every item before they are served to you. We are aware that you have alleged that the army backed caretaker government of Bangladesh tried to slow food poison you when you were in sub-jail. So, we have been extra-careful in serving all food and drinks to you in China.

PMB : I have to praise your far sightedness. What will be served today ?

QG : In most dishes in Chinese cuisine, food is prepared in bite-sized pieces, ready for directly picking up and eating in traditional Chinese culture. It is easy to use chop sticks. Traditional Chinese cuisine is based on opposites whereby hot balances cold, pickled balances fresh and spicy balances mild. We start with tea and finish with tea. According to the Chinese the seven necessities of life are: firewood, rice, oil, salt, soy sauce, vinegar and tea.

PMB : I didn’t know this.

QG : We have kept knife, fork and spoon on the table. You may use them. We have also kept chop sticks. Excavations from the ruins of Yin have shown that chop sticks were in use 3,200 years ago. Chinese people, even at that time, did not use fingers to eat. It proves China had been a pioneer in introducing sophisticated manners.

PMB : I shall feel comfortable with fork and knife.

QG : Let us start then.

Food and drinks began to be served at the dining table and the two food-tasters began to taste and check.

QG (Whilst eating) : What do you know about our Prime Minister Mr Wen Jiabao ?

PMB : I know he is the sixth and current Premier of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China, serving as the head of government and leading its cabinet. He also holds membership in the Politburo Standing Committee of Communist Party of China, the country’s de facto top power organ, where he is ranked third out of nine members. (Smiling) It means he is China’s most powerful person – on the one hand he is the Premier and on the other hand he is the number three member of the Standing Committee.

QG : He did not come to this position by heredity – he reached the top by his own qualifications. He is a geologist and engineer by profession and holds a post graduate degree from the Beijing Institute of Geology. Since taking office as Premier in 2003, he has been a key part of the fourth generation of the leadership in Communist Party of China.

PMB : I was simply charmed by his talks. But nearing the end of our meeting he was somewhat mysterious. He mentioned about a pre-condition, which…..

QG : I know. Of course I shall tell you about that. But, before that, tell me, do you think this state visit has been successful? Has this visit fulfilled all your expectations?

PMB : I think, this visit has been very successful. I would be absolutely certain, if I knew that pre-condition.

QG : Don’t you want to discuss about deep seaport and Chittagong-Kunming road-rail link via Myanmar? We would like to let you know that we are helping to build deep seaports in Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. We were hoping to build one in Bangladesh.

PMB (Worried look in face) : Don’t you think India may see these four seaports as containing their country and against their interest?

QG : Of course India may think like that. If Chittagong-Kunming road-rail link is established, India may feel, Bangladesh is trying to become strategically closer with China, bypassing India. But, you have to look at the interest of your country. Our Premier had hoped that you will rise above your sentiments and you will request for our help in building a wall in your country.

PMB : Is that why he told me so much about the Great Wall of China ?

QG : Yes, indeed. We know, after your party came to power there was a mutiny in BDR in February 2009 in Dhaka. Since then, the borders of Bangladesh have been left almost defence-less. BDR members have been kept disarmed. Although, we are aware that after your return, some of them will be re-armed. But, we had thought, you would like to settle the border issue with India permanently by building a wall like ours and you would seek our assistance to do that. India is building barbed wire fences across the border. Bangladesh could have built a stone wall. It would have defended your country well and would have ended killings by BSF forces. It would have stopped smuggling. Perhaps, it would have been a tourist attraction too and earn money.

PMB : We have to think it over. India is connected with this issue. But, tell me about that pre-condition on which depends the implementation of our accords.

QG : You know that during your father’s rule, China did not give recognition to Bangladesh as an independent state. Pakistan had been China’s longstanding friend and that is why in 1971 we did not support your Liberation War. Even after Bangladesh gained independence, we did not give recognition. After the death of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, we gave recognition. When Ziaur Rahman became ruler of Bangladesh, China-Bangladesh relationship took a new turn. It was due to Ziaur Rahman’s initiative, a friendly relationship between the two countries grew up. Ziaur Rahman is dead, but, we respect him deeply.

PMB (Very annoyed) : Why are you bringing Ziaur Rahman in our talks? Is there any connection between the pre-condition and that unknown Major?

QG : Yes, there is. That is why I am talking about him. You know that, the person who shaped modern China was our great leader Deng Xiao Ping. Although his name is spelt Deng Xiao Ping, it is pronounced Deng Ziao Ping. You know our Prime Minister is Wen Jiabao. And when you will be returning to your country from Kunming, you will notice that the name of the airport is Kunming Wujiaba International Airport, which is the seventh largest airport of China. We know that you have much allergy about the name Zia. You cannot stand the name Zia and wherever you see his name, you give orders to change it. That is why our pre-condtion will be that you will not change the names of Deng Xiao Ping, Wen Jiabao, Wujiaba Airport, etc, in any accord, MOU, itinerary, programme schedule, souvenir, Jia is an indivisible part of many Chinese names and you have to keep it. That is our pre-condition.

Non poisoned food, dog, snake huh? maybe if bangladeshis eat some of the so called "poisoned food" there won't be so much death, starvation and malnutrition there. why put such a useless and racist comment?

instead of showing gratitude or at least understanding for this deal, you make some remark about our food?

Non poisoned food, dog, snake huh? maybe if bangladeshis eat some of the so called "poisoned food" there won't be so much death, starvation and malnutrition there. why put such a useless and racist comment?

instead of showing gratitude or at least understanding for this deal, you make some remark about our food?

Sorry to note that the article (not by me but Shafik Rehman) has hurt you. In fact, Shafik is a great fan of China among the circle of reputed journalists in Bangladesh, and he wrote this humourous article where the humour is hidden in the last dialogue of Gov of Kunming. You may give it a 2nd try.

Better not to live a life of a hungry Chinese who eats anything that fly in the sky, walk over the land and swim in the water. Why the hell you ****** Chinese talk about our today's problem when this problem continued in China for many Centuries. Check the history book to see how many hundred millions of you Chinese have died of malnutrition and starvation in the past Century alone. Do not come with your bullshit prescription for our hungry again.

We have read Chinese history and know how hungry you have been for Centuries even if you eat dogs and snakes. Now, you are prescribing your unhealthy formula on us! What a shame that you do not have any guidelines for your eating habit.

Now, if you think your food habit is civilized, then why don't you accept the international criticism with wide smile?

what are the major differences in this and f22p?

We are yet to know the details of the ship. We will only know once we see it in Chittagong naval base. Thats how secretive things are here when it comes to defence purchase.

:undecided::undecided::undecided:

We are yet to know the details of the ship. We will only know once we see it in Chittagong naval base. Thats how secretive things are here when it comes to defence purchase.

:undecided::undecided::undecided:
I have never read any news that openly says about defence related matters in details. I think the PM will brag about this purchase in the future, but even she will also not talk openly about the details. Any PM knows the unwritten codes. We may have to depend upon foreign sources only for defence news.

Back
Top Bottom