What's new

Bangladesh purchases Jiangwei II frigates from China

There have been a lot of reports over BN procuring subs. Here's one:

Source:
Bangladesh considers procurement of submarines

It is a reliable source.

Some people here have been discussing that BN will procure subs from Germany, Korea or Turkey. But they are just speculations. Considering Bangladesh's limited budget, I'd say that second hand Chinese subs are technically feasible. But I personally oppose this.

Actually, I don't know about if subs are feasible for Bangladesh.

I mean, Bangladesh is a poor country and the sea isn't that deep there - very shallow waters.

I think Bangladesh will win more defence capacity by using littoral warfare ships, which could be hide in the Ganges-River-Delta.
Littoral combat ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Correct me if I am wrong...

Anyone, please discuss the feasibility of subs for the BN.

Isnt this littoral combat ship quite new?? It will be quite expensive dont you think:confused:. Anyway, subs will make a great addition to our navy, apart from deterence our personnals will learn a lot about undersea warfare. Furthermore there is some news that our maritime zone reached 460 nautical miles from coastline and with the invasion of bay of bengal into bangladesh, shallow waters may not be a problem anymore.

To sum it up, subs are good for bangladesh only in the long run.

Shallow waters is a problem for submarines.

Detection, I learn, is easier.

There have been a lot of reports over BN procuring subs. Here's one:

Source:
Bangladesh considers procurement of submarines

It is a reliable source.

Some people here have been discussing that BN will procure subs from Germany, Korea or Turkey in this very forum. But they are just speculations.

Considering Bangladesh's limited budget, I'd say that second hand Chinese subs are more feasible. But I would personally oppose this since those subs are likely to be very old.

there was rumor that we are going to procure subs within 2012. Even 1st batch completed their training in Turkey.. I think the decision was changed later .. As we are spending our money heavily now after frigates, salvage survey ships, naval aviation + we need time to build submarine base and infrastructure... Hasina said sub will be added within 2019. It is confirmed. As our officers are getting training on turkish subs, that means we are getting them...

ah! This error everytime i post through my mobile. Err.

Bangladesh Government do not release those details to the public.

But however, the Bangladesh Navy is currently in the process of replacing its three age-old ex-Royal Navy frigates (BNS Abu Bakar, BNS Ali Haider and BNS Umar Farooq) with modern frigates within the next couple of years. Some of the ex-Royal Navy ships are over 50 years old. So they need to be replaced badly.

There are plans to add submarines to its fleet by 2019. That is all that can be said.
Thanks,mate.

Call it what you want.

BD Navy will now rules the waves internationally!

It is a Navy that can compete with any Navy of the world!

Wait till it flexes its muscles!

BD is not a poor country!

are you serious or it was just a sarcasm?? Bangladesh is a poor country.. But she has an impressive navy if you consider her economical condition and relatively smaller maritime boundary. Every foreigner who studies about Bangladesh's military power starts his comment with this '' oh! I did not know Bangladesh has such military strength. How do they manage them? ''

Isnt this littoral combat ship quite new?? It will be quite expensive dont you think:confused:. Anyway, subs will make a great addition to our navy, apart from deterence our personnals will learn a lot about undersea warfare. Furthermore there is some news that our maritime zone reached 460 nautical miles from coastline and with the invasion of bay of bengal into bangladesh, shallow waters may not be a problem anymore.

To sum it up, subs are good for bangladesh only in the long run.

haha! yes the US-made Independence Class warship is very new. In fact, only one is in service with the USN. So, it isn't for foreign sales :P

But there are many kinds of littoral ships. The Independence Class ship is just an example (also the most badass).

I am sure there are many choices out there. These warships seem very practical. Countries like Taiwan and Malaysia have expressed interest in them. Specifically this:
USS Freedom (LCS-1) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The waters on our side of the Bay are relatively shallow. And the Bay of Bengal is overall shallow compared to other water bodies. So, I don't think that procuring subs are the most optimal. It would be a waste of money in case of second hand subs from China, and suicidal. Especially against P-8Is operated by the Indian Navy :P

there was rumor that we are going to procure subs within 2012. Even 1st batch completed their training in Turkey.. I think the decision was changed later .. As we are spending our money heavily now after frigates, salvage survey ships, naval aviation + we need time to build submarine base and infrastructure... Hasina said sub will be added within 2019. It is confirmed. As our officers are getting training on turkish subs, that means we are getting them...

So, we getting subs from Germany? :blink:

yes, if bn goes for chinese subs then sending officers to turkey for training makes no sense. Our navy is taking Turkey and South korea seriously as supplier alongside china...

haha! yes the US-made Independence Class warship is very new. In fact, only one is in service with the USN. So, it isn't for foreign sales :P

But there are many kinds of littoral ships. The Independence Class ship is just an example (also the most badass).

I am sure there are many choices out there. These warships seem very practical. Countries like Taiwan and Malaysia have expressed interest in them. Specifically this:
USS Freedom (LCS-1) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The waters on our side of the Bay are relatively shallow. And the Bay of Bengal is overall shallow compared to other water bodies. So, I don't think that procuring subs are the most optimal. It would be a waste of money in case of second hand subs from China, and suicidal. Especially against P-8Is operated by the Indian Navy :P

Usa is selling 8 freedom class ship to Saudi Arab for $5 billion. Bro they are not for us... Anyway Saudi Arabia is getting stronger day by day. Soon they will have the ability to match turkey and israel in that region.

Usa is selling 8 freedom class ship to Saudi Arab for $5 billion. Bro they are not for us... Anyway Saudi Arabia is getting stronger day by day. Soon they will have the ability to match turkey and israel in that region.

Yeah, they are not for us :lol:

But still, one gem of a warship ;)

God, I'd kill for those Independence Class warships :P

turkey will emerge as one of the main providers of naval power to asia. Here is a report bro. I wish there were bangladesh in place of indonesia .

A team of Turkish and German companies, as well as Turkey’s procurement office, are jointly looking to sell two HDW-class 209-type diesel submarines to Indonesia in a $1 billion deal, a senior Turkish procurement official said Friday. “Our package is excellent. We are hopeful and waiting for Indonesia’s decision,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The only competitor for the German-Turkish partnership is South Korea’s Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine, which emerged as the favorite after French and Russian bidders for the Indonesian Navy’s tender fell off. Daewoo was expected to bid together with Germany’s Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft, or HDW, but later decided to join the competition on its own. Facing the threat of being left out of the deal, HDW, a subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems, then approached the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries, or SSM, Turkey’s defense procurement agency, to seek the Indonesian contract jointly; at the same time, President Abdullah Gül was paying an official visit to Indonesia in April during which the two countries signed a comprehensive defense industry cooperation agreement. Both Muslim nations, Turkey and Indonesia share close political and cultural ties and are developing their industrial relations. HDW is also co- manufacturing six modern U 214-type diesel submarines with Turkey for the country’s Navy. Turkey earlier built 14 U 209-type submarines with the German company that Indonesia now wants to buy. In June HDW sent a letter to SSM, confirming that “SSM is entitled to market and sell HDW class U 209 1,400- tonne submarines to be built in Turkey for the Project of Procurement of Diesel Electric Submarines by the Indonesian Navy.” A decision on the bid is expected either late this year or in early 2012. A 2-billion-euro submarine deal between SSM and HDW for the joint manufacture of six U 214 platforms for the Turkish Navy formally took effect July 1. Sweetening the deal In an effort to win the bid over their Korean rivals, SSM is reported to be offering sweeteners. In a letter sent to Indonesian Adm. Soeparno, who uses one name like many Indonesians, SSM chief Murad Bayar said, “Our offer includes one or two 209- class submarine leases to the Indonesian Navy as a ‘gap- filler’ solution until your submarines have been built.” Bayar also pledged a maximum work share for Indonesian defense companies, including the Indonesian national shipyard PT-PAL, in emphasizing HDW’s full support for the Turkish bid. “A very attractive and advantageous financial package will be included as well,” Bayar said. “Our Navy and defense companies shall provide full support to your Navy and defense companies for operational and maintenance training, as well as military exercises in the shallow waters of your country,” he said. “As a well-known worldwide brand and proven technology, 209- Class submarines will increase your country’s industrial capabilities and will bring us a chance to share our knowledge to provide regional peace and stability,” Bayar said. In a letter to Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in late July, Gül confirmed and reiterated Turkey’s sweeteners and stated his desire for increased defense industry cooperation. If the Turkish bid is chosen, the two Class-209 submarines will be built at Turkey’s Gölcük naval shipyard in the northwestern province of Kocaeli by the Turkish company STM under license from HDW. South Korea optimistic Despite Turkey’s hard push for the deal, many in the South Korean press are convinced that their country will win the bid. The Korea Times quoted a South Korean industry source as saying that “Indonesia will likely pick Korea as the preferred bidder for its submarine acquisition program, worth $1.08 billion.” One South Korean official said he was aware of his country’s rivalry in the project with Turkey, but did not comment further. Despite competing against each other this time, Turkey and South Korea are very close allies, particularly in terms of the defense industry. Turkey is building howitzers under a South Korean license and the two countries are jointly producing basic aircraft trainers for the Turkish Air Force. South Korea’s Korea Aerospace Industries is among the strongest candidates in a bid being offered by Turkey to design, develop and manufacture a fighter aircraft by 2020.

Dude, the arab nations have superior equipments and arms that many nations cant match.

But history is witness, arab armies cannot match the training, professionalism and strategy that Israeli Defence Force follows. Also there is no arabian Ariel Sharon or Moshe Dayan, if you know what i mean.

Shiny toys are a part of a war, rest is won by the man behind it.

Cheers!!!

Even if we are going to procure 8 Milgem Class frigates, it'll still cost billions. I don't see how the navy would be procuring submarines anytime soon.

Dude, the arab nations have superior equipments and arms that many nations cant match.

But history is witness, arab armies cannot match the training, professionalism and strategy that Israeli Defence Force follows. Also there is no arabian Ariel Sharon or Moshe Dayan, if you know what i mean.

Shiny toys are a part of a war, rest is won by the man behind it.

Cheers!!!

Don't underestimate them.

Back
Top Bottom