What's new

Bangladesh purchases Jiangwei II frigates from China

Almost everyone is aware of North Korea's military. It is also well known that they emphasize on quantity rather then quality. They have everything large in number...but look at their age old Mig-21s that they still operate and paint-ed up T-62 shown in their parade as a new tank. However, fact remains that they are not that unknown to military analysts.

Vietnam has a stronger economy than Bangladesh...and i wont be surprised if they have a well maintained military.

Cheers!!!

The T-62 variant used by NK is a capable tank. Although of-course not as great the K1 or K2 used by ROK.

You are right about Vietnam. It is currently a big destination for foreign direct investment, much of it come from American companies.

This thread is not about NK.

But since it has come, let me assure you NK has new tanks (Pokpung-HO) and old tanks are always painted for the parades nothing wrong about it.

As far as subs are concerned NK has 22 Ming Class subs procured from China and they operate 4 Whiskey Class (Soviet) subs.

So please rethink about your claim of quantity over quality as BN has more than 80% chinese stuff.

If NK was so cheap in quality Iran wouldn't have purchased some 150 Chonma-ho tanks from them.

You should also check the NK shipbuilding industry and compare it with Bangladesh.

So please dont tell me that BD is poor hence BD doesn't have stuff. Its all about management. for e.g BD made a big mess of MiG-29 deal (corruption) which lead to cancellation of further orders.

GB

My point was not to undermine NK's military quality totally, that was a general statement...this video is just for reference :-

Also given that NK scenario is totally different from Bangladesh's, they need to spend heavily on their military in order to be able to pose a threat. So building up tanks and having a better or matured shipbuilding industry is natural.

Bangladesh military always had a balance b/w quantity and quality...we do not go gaga over buying military items. Reason being we are a peaceful nation. Additionally corruption is also present.

In terms of economy, BD is better then NK and there is no denying.

Anyways, back to topic.

Cheers!!!

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

The T-62 variant used by NK is a capable tank. Although of-course not as great the K1 or K2 used by ROK.

T-62 is a capable tank...even our army uses it.

Its just that compared to newer gen. tanks...it stands a limited chance in combat.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
About self-sufficiency, yes agreed.

Well we have to wait and see what happens, cannot brush aside Israel's capability regarding anything. As a last option, Israel has nuclear and chemical weapons that can vaporize entire middle east.

They failed in Lebanon because they did not fight a regular army but Hezbollah...whom they underestimated severely. They managed to blow up Merkavas and a billion dollar frigate, which is actually no joke.

Indeed, AA capability is a must. I would next focus on the ASW capability of the destroyer.

New destroyers are very unlikely, second hand ones may stand a chance. 1 or 2 would be enoughfor some years to come.

Quite surprising that we spoke and though about subs but nothing till now yet on destroyers. No idea what our navy is upto!

Cheers!!!

how???? i heard c-802 was used only once in real combat by Lebanon against Israel . was it hezbollah???? errr ....

how???? i heard c-802 was used only once in real combat by Lebanon against Israel . was it hezbollah???? errr ....

I am not too sure about which missile was used (probably C-802)...but Hezbollah did blow up an Israeli frigate named Sa'ar 5 from the land.

Its live video is there in you-tube...from firing to the explosion...heres it:-

Cheers!!!

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

We don't use the Soviet T-62.
T-62 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We use the Chinese Type-62 light tank.
Type 62 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh yes, my bad. Mixed it up.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah it was a c-802 supplied to Hezbollah by Iran... They fired it at israeli Saar 5. Fortunately all anti-missile system were switched off and unfortunately the warhead of the missile didnt blow off. only fuel of the missile and impact caused damage to the ship killing four. The ship made to port with significant damage but returned to service after one month...

^^^Must have been an old Silkworm...
not silkworm, it was chinese c802.

We should concentrate to increase quality of our navy. Such as We use c-802 ( range 180 Km ).Why not use c-803 for 250 km?? and also we should replace our Fm-90 sam to medium range Sam from china . . India is getting barak missile ranging 70 km. 5 frigate ( 1 korean + 4 chinese ) with such anti ship missile system , sam, anti missile system enough to destroy Myanmar navy.....

not silkworm, it was chinese c802.

We should concentrate to increase quality of our navy. Such as We use c-802 ( range 180 Km ).Why not use c-803 for 250 km?? and also we should replace our Fm-90 sam to medium range Sam from china . . India is getting barak missile ranging 70 km. 5 frigate ( 1 korean + 4 chinese ) with such anti ship missile system , sam, anti missile system enough to destroy Myanmar navy.....

BN is getting both C-802 and C-803. Note that C-803, though supersonic in speed compared to it's subsonic predecessor, does not have land attack capability.

BN is getting both C-802 and C-803. Note that C-803, though supersonic in speed compared to it's subsonic predecessor, does not have land attack capability.

do c-803 and c-802 use same platform?? So can we fire c-803 from BNS OSMAN?? never heard of any c-803 missile exercise.

Yes, the navy probably already procured C-803. I heard it long back that this AS missile would be procured.

Integra once claimed that he had links that stated that C-802/3 will be produced locally using ToT.

Cheers!!!

One thing Hasina did good was she focused a lot on the navy in her present term. Lot of procurement and repair work has happened within this span of time.

We already have 5 frigates though 2-3 of them are quite old, the newer Jiangwei ones from China should add more teeth to the navy. Instead of scrapping the older ones, they can be refurbished and kept in service for numeric advantage.

Add more AS and AA capability to the frigates and fit the bigger OPVs with these capabilities. Should be enough for the time being.

Its sad that subs will come by 2019, our economy is doing well...if Hasina wants she can buy 4 of them immediately and setup the required facility. But i guess our 'Defence Minister' has other ideas.

Cheers!!!

One thing Hasina did good was she focused a lot on the navy in her present term. Lot of procurement and repair work has happened within this span of time.

We already have 5 frigates though 2-3 of them are quite old, the newer Jiangwei ones from China should add more teeth to the navy. Instead of scrapping the older ones, they can be refurbished and kept in service for numeric advantage.

Add more AS and AA capability to the frigates and fit the bigger OPVs with these capabilities. Should be enough for the time being.

Its sad that subs will come by 2019, our economy is doing well...if Hasina wants she can buy 4 of them immediately and setup the required facility. But i guess our 'Defence Minister' has other ideas.

Cheers!!!

I have checked it. . Three ex royal navy frigates procured around 1980 are now obsolete... We have only two frigates which can actually fight... BNS Bangabandhu is a deadly beast, even better than f22... Bangladesh navy is continuously upgrading her armament..... BNS Osman is a decent one with c-802, fm-90. F-22Bs are coming... 5th frigate is under consideration. Rumors say navy is thinking to buy another ulsan class as their experience with BNS Bangabandhu was good..... Two corvetts are under construction in china.. Navy already recieved to castle class ship for patroling... I have to thank hasina, mayb moin u ahmed.. Add new submarines to this navy and it will be able to match israeli navy. . . .

Back
Top Bottom